Need a bit of help with the Walbro 255 Fuel Pump install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a bit of help with the Walbro 255 Fuel Pump install

So apparently I'm making a bit more power than I realized and I burned up the stock fuel pumpl. Fortunately, I knew this was only a matter of time so I already had the Walbro handy. Well, I'm pretty driven to finish this before I go to bed tonight and I've already dropped the tank and pulled the pump, but before I put the Walbro in, I'm reading that it has to be inserted a certain way so that it will fit into the baffles? I guess I'm incompetent because the picture doesn't do this justice in the writeup found http://www.redz31.com/images/fuel/FuelPumpInstall.jpg
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Just strap it to the back post so that the filter points in the same direction as the nipples on top do.
    imagination is a virtue

Comment

Yeah, zip tie or clamp it to the cage. If you put some hose in there to insulate it from the cage it may be a little quieter.

Comment

Ugh....how disheartening. I guess my fuel pump wasn't burned up afterall because even after installing the Walbro, I still don't have anything. Fuse is good, I've already checked that. I'm thinking it could be the relay. I guess I'm going to hit that up and then hit the sack if that's not it. I'm lost as to what else it could be.

*EDIT* Well, I'm totally lost. It wasn't the relay either. What else could cause this?
        545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

time to hotwire it.... could be the ecu

Comment

G-E wrote: time to hotwire it.... could be the ecu
            Hrm yeah that crossed my mind. Too bad I don't have my spare 87T ECU local. Maybe I can convince my brother to send it my way.

I'd really like to avoid having to rewire it. I'd hate to have a seperate switch just to turn my fuel pump on. Even tapping into the ignition seems sensless when everything worked just fine as it was.
            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

I intend to have a switch on mine, I plan to have a bunch of switches for cutting off relays, and other stuff including ecu power

Comment

Use metal clamps. Zip ties didn't hold up so well on my first one.

Comment

probably because fuel is a solvent and tie-wraps are plastic.... but I'm just lint remover what do I know

Comment

I didn't use the zip ties to attach the pump to the frame. I only used a couple of zip ties on the wiring and could see the result, so I wouldn't trust them to hold the actual pump.

Comment

MikeZ wrote: I didn't use the zip ties to attach the pump to the frame. I only used a couple of zip ties on the wiring and could see the result, so I wouldn't trust them to hold the actual pump.
                      You have to use the ones rated for automotive use, which means they can handle gasoline exposure... It would be akin to using vac hose for fuel hose if you didn't. Using metal clamps might be more secure but I've never had a problem, one friend has had his in there for over 5 years like that.

Comment

Alright, so it turns out it was the plug wiring in the rear hatch. However, I got power to the pump but I still can't get it to fire up. You can hear it prime as soon as I hook up power to it and I go to start it and no fire whatsoever. I don't understand why its not getting fuel to the motor.

I've pulled the fuel line to the motor, no fuel whatsoever. I'm wondering if I got a bad pump?
                        545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

My buddy had that problem when installing a Walbro in his car. There was a relief cap of some sort that wasn't working right so he took it off and the pump worked great.

Having not installed one myself. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Comment

cheezmonta wrote: My buddy had that problem when installing a Walbro in his car. There was a relief cap of some sort that wasn't working right so he took it off and the pump worked great.

Having not installed one myself. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
                            There's an ventilation hose and evaporative hose, but other than the fuel line to and from the pump are the only things I can think of. :?:
                            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Have you checked to see if the fuel filter is clogged?
                              imagination is a virtue

Comment

Working...
                              X