valve cover gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve cover gaskets

passanger side,no problem with leaking.Driver side,no such luck!how tight should the screws be set??i used Felpro with new grommits.I hate the smell of burning oil..thx,mike.

mcx wrote: passanger side,no problem with leaking.Driver side,no such luck!how tight should the screws be set??i used Felpro with new grommits.I hate the smell of burning oil..thx,mike.
    0.7 to 2.2 lbs
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

If you replaced the stock rubber gasket then my bet is that you have a section that didn't get seated in the valve cover properly.

I used a thin layer of high temp RTV to help seal it to the valve covers. Without it the first time the Felpro gaskets didn't want to quite sit in the groove properly. Just a thought.
      Just stand back and throw money.
      Performance costs money.
      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Every time I replace one of those I end having to re-tighten the screws a few days later when it starts leaking, so I started tightening them "hand tight" to begin with and have not had a problem.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Every time I replace one of those I end having to re-tighten the screws a few days later when it starts leaking, so I started tightening them "hand tight" to begin with and have not had a problem.
          This is what I do as well, but he asked for specific tq specifications, so I gave them.
          Originally posted by Andrew84zx
          tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
          545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

I found that even older engines with old leaky valvecovers.... open it up, scrub down the gasket and mating surface with the mild scotchbrite pads (or the drill based 3m thingies) and degrease the threads in the head...

they will seal up fine

but yes I agree with jason, hand tight, re-tighten periodically

Comment

the Felpro replacement grommits,the rubber goes against the valve cover and the washer on top,correct???

Comment

the originals are metal cups with rubber inside, the bolts have washers stuck on em

the only reason to use the grommets is not to overtighten it and warp the cover, or just do them hand tight

Comment

Working...
                X