Maybe we should call them Victor Reinz metal head gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe we should call them Victor Reinz metal head gaskets

Because that's actually what they are. I installed these on my 7.8:1 engine that made 453rwhp/484rwtq, I could see they had a steel center layer and always figured they would be at least as strong as stock.

After running with these gaskets I was able to chop up a used one to see what the construction looks like underneith.

There are three simple layers which include a steel center and composite gasket material on either side. This composite material is different than the stock weave, but appears to seal on both the block and head just as well. The steel center layer is crimped/bonded into the cylinder's steel seal ring to provide a firm backing.

Given my success with them and now after taking a closer look at their construction I would say: I highly doubt this gasket can be blown from cylinder pressure (even that caused by moderate detonation), very easily, if at all.

Good info to know for when I get around to a rebuild!
    But what about the rest of the Victor gaskets? Same or better quality than stock?

Comment

cheezmonta wrote: Good info to know for when I get around to a rebuild!
      But what about the rest of the Victor gaskets? Same or better quality than stock?
      Yeah, everything seems OE or higher quality. I would highly recommend these gasket sets, and I think I'll be using them from now on.

Comment

What was the price on that gasket?
        " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
        LaterZ

Comment

the real question is whether they taste just as good, and do they go well with a side order of egr gaskets or not

Comment

Interesting find, I'll definitely be using these guys over Felpro...

In ~99-00, Chrysler put out a redesigned Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) head gasket which solved head gasket failures in their 2.0/2.4l engines. Looks like Victor Reinz is decided to use MLS gaskets for our cars too ...
            http://www.engineparts.com/p_lv_gaskets.asp

Comment

where did you get yours at? carquest?

boost. does a body good!

Comment

I have a buddy that works at NAPA and can get the complete non-w set for $140, also there's kris-86t if you can get ahold of him.

Comment

yea, message kris and get his phone number, call him up and he'll get them out quick, i've been happy with mine.
                  1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

OK85ZX wrote: yea, message kris and get his phone number, call him up and he'll get them out quick, i've been happy with mine.
                    I have been waiting for about 4month gasket sets from Kris..
                    Jukka Kivinen - Europe / Finland - '88 Turbo 2+2 Targa
                    Datsun Nissan Sports Cars of Finland
                    http://www.z31turbo.com / http://www.z31na.com

Comment

weird, have you called him to check up on it? I got mine in a few days... of course I live in the same country as he does =)
                      1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

Call and email..
                        Backorder..

2x W-series full gasket sets.. Parts have been already paid (with EMS shipping).
                        Jukka Kivinen - Europe / Finland - '88 Turbo 2+2 Targa
                        Datsun Nissan Sports Cars of Finland
                        http://www.z31turbo.com / http://www.z31na.com

Comment

does anyone know the part number for the head gaskets from VR.
                          The guy i've been talking to says the only kit he can find for the W-series does not have the metal construction.

ill have to ask if the non turbo kit is different from the turbo. i dont remeber there being a difference in the heads...

Originally posted by michaelp
                          The Industry is full of shit. Americans are morons and follow band wagons.
                          Illusions of Oasis. REPENT

Comment

ARSpeed wrote: does anyone know the part number for the head gaskets from VR.
                            The guy i've been talking to says the only kit he can find for the W-series does not have the metal construction.

ill have to ask if the non turbo kit is different from the turbo. i dont remeber there being a difference in the heads...
                            I only have the PN for the complete set, not just the head gaskets. These are non-w gaskets... which you can use on a w engine.

http://www.redz31.com/images/headwork/wheads.jpg

I don't even really get why they make a w series kit because the only major differences were changing some gasketed surfaces to liquid gasket use spec (RTV).

The difference between turbo and non should only be that the turbo kit includes the gaskets for the turbocharger. Manifold-turbo, oil line, etc.

Comment

That gasket looks Identical to the Beck Arnerly? gaskets that I always get and I've never had a problem with mine either. Then again I suppose i could have gone over board with the oring in the block but hey, Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
                              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X