Hydraulic lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic lifters

Ok... so when the lifters lose their pressure and have to build it back up when you run it, will there be valve tapping noise? I would assume so, but I've never been put in the case where they didn't have pressure (where they get all mushy). During my previous VG setups I made sure to keep them right side up but this time around I kind of spaced out. I just completed an 85 Maxima VG30E swap into my brother's 85T (old engine was busted up badly, long story).

It starts right up and sounds pretty good minus some valve tapping. The engine sat for countless months (maybe more than a year) including the time before I bought the engine but it is in pristene condition. Took the heads off and the cylinder walls still had the hone marks on them, oil that was sitting in it looked great, lifters and such were very clean (no build up common in the used engines), etc. etc.

Before starting it up I made sure to let it crank without fuel to get some oil flowing through it and such.

What do you guys think?

They do fill up don't they?

Mine tick for the morning starts.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Yeah, I read somewhere that optimally it should be ran at 1000 rpm for 10 minutes or something along those lines to fill them back up but I wasn't sure if they ticked or not.

Comment

Mine tick for the morning starts.

From my experience this has to do with several things, but most commonly, the type of oil and filter being used.

AS A FYI...and I am going to catch hell from other members for this....
        I do not and have not had any issues with any of the Z's we own, or work on...when I run Castrol Syntec 10w30 and Fram name brand oil filters.
        *I am now ducking and hiding!
        I am here to help...

Comment

I run the exact same on my MR2. I use the higher end Fram filters and have never had any issues (not that I should or anything). :lol:

Comment

Dan-TSS wrote: Mine tick for the morning starts.

From my experience this has to do with several things, but most commonly, the type of oil and filter being used.

AS A FYI...and I am going to catch hell from other members for this....
            I do not and have not had any issues with any of the Z's we own, or work on...when I run Castrol Syntec 10w30 and Fram name brand oil filters.
            *I am now ducking and hiding!
            Very true... running 15W40 or 20W50 made the lifter tick disappear in just about every engine I've tried it on.

I've only ever heard of issues with the cheap fram filters when they are run for too long an interval. Really nothing wrong with wasting your money on syntec, it's at least as good as the best conventional oils.

Comment

Pennzoil Multi-VIS 20W50, liquid gold for your car! I got a friend who's been building racing engines for 30 years + and he swears by this stuff, that's enough for me!

http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

you can accelerate the the lifter "filling" if you have them out, just squeeze the end in immersed in oil, and touch the bubbles with a toothpick when they form at the hole... you do this just before reassembly of course, but it's easier and quicker than "rebuilding" them

Comment

When you choose an engine oil for (racing purposes) You should avoid large viscosity changing oil. Meaning 10-30 is a better quality than say 20-50. It only takes 20 to get to the 30 but it takes 30 to get to the 50. Get it?

Not saying to use 10-30(I run 20-50), what I am saying is that they put more "crap" in the oil to get the viscosity to change more.

This is just stuff I have read and have no way of proving it so take it with a grain of salt.
                  85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

G-E wrote: you can accelerate the the lifter "filling" if you have them out, just squeeze the end in immersed in oil, and touch the bubbles with a toothpick when they form at the hole... you do this just before reassembly of course, but it's easier and quicker than "rebuilding" them
                    I may give that a try. I have some timing belt noise so I'm going to have to take all of the crap of to get to that, and double check that. While doing that, I think I'll try tensioning the timing belt per what the FSM recomends, loosening the rocker shafts and while doing that I might as well go over all of the lifters.

This car is going to make me work on every possible thing... starting to make me mad. :lol:

Comment

lifter soakage 8)

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Well... I think my lifters pumped up because there's no more tick so I'm happy about that. There's some sort of belt noise though and it doesn't sound like the timing belt.... but I'll probably still take a look at it because after the work I put into it I am not losing an engine. :lol:

I got on it a little bit but I think there might be a little bit of knock. I set the timing to 15 degrees, at least I hope so. Its idling too high (1.9k-2k) and I had to set the timing around there. I think a bit problem could be the gas. I wouldn't be surprised if my brother put lower octane in it. Problem around here is the highest possible octane I can get is 91 so if that doesn't help, I may have to invest in a drum of toluene or something because so far this thing is pretty fun.

As much as I modify cars, this is actually the fastest car I've driven yet. :lol:

Comment

Working...
                        X