No announcement yet.

what oil viscosity do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see some stupid stuff goin on in this thread....

switching oil in the winter...

If you really want to make a difference on winter oil performance, use a 5w30 instead of a 10w30. You don't need I the thicker viscosity when the engine reaches temp, but you do want a freer flowing oil on cold starts.

Oil filters & cutting them open...

I have cut open every major oilfiter design except for the Japanese suppliers. Really, in the US, there are 4 suppliers. Fram, Champion, Purolator and WIX. These four companies make the filters for everyone else and it is easy to distinguish the difference once you see what they are.

Fram: Pennzoil, Nissan (last I heard), and many other are fram
    Purolator: Motorcraft, Advance Autoparts and a couple others
    Champion: A/C Delco, SuperTech, STP, Napa Silver, K&N, Mobil 1
    Wix: Napa Gold

All the oil filters are quality except for Fram. I, for a long time, was running Super Tech filters in my race car for a number of reasons. I recently switched to the Delco filters because I was able to buy a case of them for cheap.

And the 3000 miles is flat out a myth.... Except for stop and go city driving, like Chicago in rush hour traffic, towing or conditions that cause increase in heat.

If you do only highway driving in non dusty conditions you can do up to 7,500 safely on regular oil.

Autocrossers I race with, who race everyweekend, change their oil twice a season. OIl analysis have shown that this was well within reason and they could even run longer if they wanted to.

Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 is a very high quality oil and is very cheap, too. I don't know why more people don't run this oil instead of a 20w-50 or a 10w-40.
    Just in case you're wondering, I'm Pylon_Boy

I'm moving out of the country. Buy my tools, cars, car parts, ect.
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpylon_boyQQhtZ-1

Comment

Just got new oil's to engine

Motul 300V 15W50 (Synthetic)

With in few weeks Motul HD 80W90 (Mineral) to gear box and Motul 90PA for CLSD
      Jukka Kivinen - Europe / Finland - '88 Turbo 2+2 Targa
      Datsun Nissan Sports Cars of Finland
      http://www.z31turbo.com / http://www.z31na.com

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I'll take partially hydrogenated soybean oil for 500, Alex. Gotta love how we manage to make everything bad for us.

I have been alternating between Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 (diesel oil) and 20w50 re-badged store brand valvoline synthetic. I run the diesel oil for 2-3K and the synthetic for 5-6K. I run thicker oils merely to save on component wear and bearing life in the modified engines I beat the piss out of daily. I change the filter at every oil change.

I buy whatever filter is on sale at the time, but always pay the $1-2 more for the better model. (IE pureONE vs purulator, which are both quality filters)
        I thought that the thicker oil has a harder time getting into the tight tolerances of a modern engine and therefore protects no better than normal 10W-30. It seems that as tolerances get tighter, the oil gets thinner. Just like how my 1981 L28et takes 10W-30 and my 2002 Ford Focus takes 5W-20.

I use Valvoline 10W-30 dino oil with a Carquest filter in mine. It seems to work good, although I don't think that I've even put 3000 miles on my Z since I bought it, so I can't comment on longevity.
        1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
        '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
        "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

i use castrol gtx 20-50 w/ a mobil 1 oil filter. every 3k or so

Comment

i use castrol gtx 10w-40 and a motorcraft 1 oil filter. i change it every 2500 miles.

i was using 10-30 but didn't like the lower oil pressure at idle.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X