Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what oil viscosity do you use?

What brand of oil & weight?
    How many miles till you change it & your filter?
    What filter do yo use?

Mobil 1 synthetic - 10w30
    Every 3,000 miles & after every track day unless I go back to back weekends.
    Nissan filter & I change it with the oil every time.
    378whp 445wtq
    http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

I use canola and I change it after it becomes saturated fat

and I use a dole pineapple can with a sock in it to catch the flakes

Comment

That's pretty funny.

I saw turbo Civic with a sock over the intake side of the turbo. Cheap filter I guess. lol
      378whp 445wtq

Comment

This was briefly discussed in another thread, so I'll just copy/paste what I use from there.

Pennzoil Multi-VIS 20W50, liquid gold for your car! I got a friend who's been building racing engines for 30 years + and he swears by this stuff, that's enough for me!

http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

300zxt wrote: This was briefly discussed in another thread, so I'll just copy/paste what I use from there.

Pennzoil Multi-VIS 20W50, liquid gold for your car! I got a friend who's been building racing engines for 30 years + and he swears by this stuff, that's enough for me!

Hey, I'll do the same!

When you choose an engine oil for (racing purposes) You should avoid large viscosity changing oil. Meaning 10-30 is a better quality than say 20-50. It only takes 20 to get to the 30 but it takes 30 to get to the 50. Get it?

Not saying to use 10-30(I run 20-50), what I am saying is that they put more "crap" in the oil to get the viscosity to change more.

This is just stuff I have read and have no way of proving it so take it with a grain of salt.
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I'll take partially hydrogenated soybean oil for 500, Alex. Gotta love how we manage to make everything bad for us.

I have been alternating between Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 (diesel oil) and 20w50 re-badged store brand valvoline synthetic. I run the diesel oil for 2-3K and the synthetic for 5-6K. I run thicker oils merely to save on component wear and bearing life in the modified engines I beat the piss out of daily. I change the filter at every oil change.

I buy whatever filter is on sale at the time, but always pay the $1-2 more for the better model. (IE pureONE vs purulator, which are both quality filters)

Comment

Holy balls, you guys run 20/50?? That's so thick I thought seals might be blown using it. I have 110+ heat right now so the thicker oil would definitely protect better for me. And to think I raced my car at the track (four 25 mintues sessions) with the 10/30.

So there's no problems running 20/50 huh? Next oil change I guess I'll try it.
              378whp 445wtq

Comment

mark86t wrote: Holy balls, you guys run 20/50?? That's so thick I thought seals might be blown using it. I have 110+ heat right now so the thicker oil would definitely protect better for me. And to think I raced my car at the track (four 25 mintues sessions) with the 10/30.

So there's no problems running 20/50 huh? Next oil change I guess I'll try it.
                You do sacrafice a little bit of power by running thicker oil, but I can't really think of any other downsides.

I was running 90W140 in the transmission until recently, I really didn't like the way it slowed shifting.

These decisions were only for the sake of longevity.

In fact I think I last dynoed the car (453rwhp) with 20w50 in the engine and 90w140 in the trans. Probably would have made more if it were thinner... Meh.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                  Originally posted by 300zxt
                  This was briefly discussed in another thread, so I'll just copy/paste what I use from there.

Hey, I'll do the same!

When you choose an engine oil for (racing purposes) You should avoid large viscosity changing oil. Meaning 10-30 is a better quality than say 20-50. It only takes 20 to get to the 30 but it takes 30 to get to the 50. Get it?

Not saying to use 10-30(I run 20-50), what I am saying is that they put more "crap" in the oil to get the viscosity to change more.

This is just stuff I have read and have no way of proving it so take it with a grain of salt.
                  I just meant he swears by the brand/type of oil, as for the weight I use personally that's because it gets so damn hot here...
                  http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

I use Penzoil 20-50 to maintain high oil pressure at idle and reduce the wear.
                    13.729 @ 102.90
                    http://z31.com/board/print_profile.php3?user_id=872

Comment

lets see, i am an idiot and haven't changed my oil because i keep thinking the turbo swap is right around the corner and doen't want to waste any oil. So i am rolling on maybge ~ 8K on this change. ops: What ever, its a nissan.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I like to use Mobil 1 full synthetic at the 10w30 weight. Currently we have been experiencing a heat wave here in south west michigan, so at the last change I switched to mobil 1 20w50. I use a mobil 1 oil filter, and I run the oil for 5000 miles. My car has over 216,000 miles on it!

Also, has anyone ever cut the oil filters open? I have compared the insides of STP, Fram, Mobil 1, and Wicks (is that how you spell it?) oil filters by sawing them in half and placing them side by side. After seeing the results, i no longer use STP or Fram. Both filters were lacking compared the the more expensive Mobil 1 and Wicks oil filters.

-Mike
                        "produce first.talk second."

Comment

Well than that explains a lot to me. I use 10/30 & while racing at the track I noticed that my car would have the factory oil light on while idling. That was also due to my idle being 600rpms too. I hvae since increased my idle to 900 rpms & my car no longer stalls when I rev. it & let it come down. Next oil change I will be using 20/50. The heat out here & how hard I drive my car I would certainly sacrifice the minimal hp loss for the added protection.
                          378whp 445wtq

Comment

10w30 Castrol GTX Winter
                            10w40 Castrol GTX Summer

Wix oil filter or
                            John Deere oil filter.

I try to change every 3000 miles but last year i did mostly highway miles over 100 miles a day every week day for 10months. So somtimes i let it go alittle longer. I have an n/a so i can let it go a couple hundred more than if it was a turbo.
                            Loc Dog dont ride for no trick ass bitchs....WORD!

Comment

Mobil 1 5w-30 once a year.
                              Just in case you're wondering, I'm Pylon_Boy

I'm moving out of the country. Buy my tools, cars, car parts, ect.
                              http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpylon_boyQQhtZ-1

Comment

Working...
                              X