No announcement yet.

TT crank rods, would you use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARP hardware in my rebuild is a given. I want to use the ARP head studs as well.

Guilty as charged about not reading the new turbo FAQ. :cry:
    378whp 445wtq
    http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Comment

mario88ss wrote: My TT eagle rods came with ARP hardware
      All Eagle rods come with ARP rod bolts.

mark86t wrote:
      I want to use the ARP head studs as well.
      Why? So you can't remove the heads while the engine is in the car?

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
        Originally posted by mark86t
        I want to use the ARP head studs as well.Why? So you can't remove the heads while the engine is in the car?
        You can't? Thought they had better clamping power. I haven't had any trouble so far with the copper head gaskets I have now. I bought new Nissan head bolts for use with the new head gaskets. That's why I will post lots of questions & do lots of reading here before purchasing all the components for my 3.3 build. :mrgreen:
        378whp 445wtq

Comment

There are so many bolts with the stock setup that you'll likely never need to go as far as head studs. Now the ones that aren't near as lucky as us with 8 or so head bolts... maybe then.

Comment

MachZ wrote: There are so many bolts with the stock setup that you'll likely never need to go as far as head studs. Now the ones that aren't near as lucky as us with 8 or so head bolts... maybe then.
            ah, yes... replacing 302 head gaskets day in day out at the shop... brings back memories of those boosted pieces of shit...
            BLOZ UP.com
            It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

[quote]Steve88t wrote:
              Originally posted by Alex86na2t
              The only known people to break a crank was Elecramotive with the GTP car. And they were making like 960hp to the wheels. I wouldn't worry about crank strength if i were you.
              You might check me on this. But I dont think the GTP cars were using the same stock crank as we have. I believe it was made by someone just for that purpose.

I have seen two people break a VG30 crank. One was 8000 rpm + 250ish of N2O. Yes it and 4 rods broke doing so.
              The other I cannot explain. I think he had a damaged crank and blah blah. Nothing conclusive ever came out of that one.

So other those two people, I have never seen a broken crank and highly doubt I will at the levels 95% of the VG30 using community will ever make. Sell it and get parts that actually help you accomplish something. Like REAL rods and pistons. Or stock rods with arp's and shotpeen them.
              The imsa cars as well as the sharp trans am cars ran moldex custom cranks. They were often destroked as much as .5 ltr to a give them a 2.5 ltr motor. this gave them greater drivetrain reliability and made the cars more driveable. the smaller motor was able to produce more power through higher boost levels. They also had massive main bearing girdles and dry sump lubrication.
              Building Slicktop turbo racer out of Chassis #8. After 6 months all the rust is gone

Comment

kurt wrote: They were often destroked as much as .5 ltr to a give them a 2.5 ltr motor. this gave them greater drivetrain reliability and made the cars more driveable. the smaller motor was able to produce more power through higher boost levels. They also had massive main bearing girdles and dry sump lubrication.
                destroking lets you rev higher.... and when you make lots of power having the power up higher and revving higher can help with grip

Comment

[quote]mark86t wrote:
                  Originally posted by Alex86na2t
                  The only known people to break a crank was Elecramotive with the GTP car. And they were making like 960hp to the wheels. I wouldn't worry about crank strength if i were you.
                  Excellent! The TT crank will be sold then.
                  call harry at ztuner.com. he needs a z32 crank.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                  good thing....

Comment

autoworkZ wrote:
                    call harry at ztuner.com. he needs a z32 crank.
                    Sadly I took the TT crank to a machine shop and they said it was ruined. 1st & 3rd journals are bad & they won't weld the 1st journal. Why they would weld the other journals & not the 1st journal is unknown to me. I'm gonna get it checked out by another shop. Hate to think it is totally shot.
                    378whp 445wtq

Comment

First and last journals have the most load on them. If you ever notice the rear main bearing usually has more clearance on it than the rest it is due to that particular fact.
                      http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

MikeZ wrote: Back to the crank. Im sure a few people remember the VG 280Z in Miami that was making over 700whp on a stock internal engine. The rod(s) or piston(s) eventually failed after many dyno and track runs, but the crank was not the problem.
                        Didn't know that bro.l

Great thread here.

My two cents has already been covered by other posters.

The Z32 VG30DETT rods are still considered some of the strongest if not the strongest rods of most any car produced. People will always break sub-par rod bolts before the rods but I'd love to c someone with broken *TT* rods that didn't just cut them with a hack saw..lol.
                        Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

I think the figure was 780rwhp, and I hear he keeps blowing head gaskets.

VG36ET wrote: The Z32 VG30DETT rods are still considered some of the strongest if not the strongest rods of most any car produced. People will always break sub-par rod bolts before the rods but I'd love to c someone with broken *TT* rods that didn't just cut them with a hack saw..lol.
                          I've not seen nor ever heard of a broken TT rod that had been "re-used" with ARP rod bolts. Only when used with nissan bolts, and then they are supposedly reliable to 600+whp. That explains my decision right there.
                          Attached Files

Comment

[quote]VG36ET wrote:
                            Originally posted by MikeZ
                            Back to the crank. Im sure a few people remember the VG 280Z in Miami that was making over 700whp on a stock internal engine. The rod(s) or piston(s) eventually failed after many dyno and track runs, but the crank was not the problem.
                            Didn't know that bro.l

Great thread here.

The Z32 VG30DETT rods are still considered some of the strongest if not the strongest rods of most any car produced. People will always break sub-par rod bolts before the rods but I'd love to c someone with broken *TT* rods that didn't just cut them with a hack saw..lol.
                            I wouldn't go that far, 2JZ-GTE rods are pretty beefy as well, seeing as some cars have pulled off 900+ whp on stock block internals...
                            Attached Files

Comment

[quote]Andrevas wrote: [quote=VG36ET]
                              Originally posted by MikeZ
                              Back to the crank. Im sure a few people remember the VG 280Z in Miami that was making over 700whp on a stock internal engine. The rod(s) or piston(s) eventually failed after many dyno and track runs, but the crank was not the problem.
                              Didn't know that bro.l

Great thread here.

The Z32 VG30DETT rods are still considered some of the strongest if not the strongest rods of most any car produced. People will always break sub-par rod bolts before the rods but I'd love to c someone with broken *TT* rods that didn't just cut them with a hack saw..lol.I wouldn't go that far, 2JZ-GTE rods are pretty beefy as well, seeing as some cars have pulled off 900+ whp on stock block internals...
                              If I had the time to rip apart a 2JZ-GTE block I'd love to compare the rods myself with the Nisssan *TT* rods. That Toyota Engine is incredible enough that Nissan lovers are swapping their VQ and other engies for the GTE.

I don't know anyone personally that's broken TT rods, just factory rod bolts. I'd love to c definitive proff of how much HP the TT rods and the regular forged VG rods could handle with upgraded bolts. Their's guys making over 1100 HP on their built VG30DETT's(retaining the rods of course) so Imagine I'll never personally find their limits.
                              Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X