TT crank rods, would you use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TT crank rods, would you use them?

I have a 95 TT crank & full set of rods. I was holding on to them for when I build my 3.0 engine using the Pathfinder block as they are forged. Then all I would have to buy are forged pistons. I know the TT crank would need some sort of modification to the nose in order for it to accept my crank pulley and use my alt. & pwer. steering pulleys.

I would like to run 23-24lbs of boost when I build the new 3.0 bottom end. I also plan on getting cams, valves, springs, etc... at that time as well.

My question is..........would you guys keep & use the TT crank & rods? Or would you recommend keeping the stock crank & getting other (like Eagle, etc...) rods?
    378whp 445wtq
    http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Stock crank for four reasons:

1) The stock VG30E crank will most likely handle anything you are planning on throwing at it.
    2) To be able to use the TT crank, you have to have alot of material taken off of the snout which considerably weakens the structure of it. To reharden it it has to go through alot of prosessess that are time and $$ consuming.
    3) It will most likely take the same or less effort/money to have a custom crank built buy scat or crower out of billet and to your specs.
    4) Noone has yet proven that the VG30DE crank is in fact superior to the one in the VG30E
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

I used TT rods and pistons, Z31 stock crank with 20 pounds of boost and 440 ft lbs with no problems.
      BLOZ UP.com
      It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

I am currently running 20lbs of boost & the car was rated at 409 ft lbs torque (weather corrected). Guess if it takes it I'll keep it. I have never heard of anyone breaking the z31 crank & some of you guys are running much more power to the wheels than I am right now. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to keep the TT crank for my future engine build. Here's what I'm planning on doing. Tell me what you think.

3.3 block
        forged pistons (not sure what I want yet)
        TT rods
        cams (undecided which ones)

I want to run around 23-24lbs of boost with this set up. My turbo is supposed tobe efficient up to 25-26lbs of boost.
        378whp 445wtq

Comment

The only known people to break a crank was Elecramotive with the GTP car. And they were making like 960hp to the wheels. I wouldn't worry about crank strength if i were you.
          Attached Files
          KILL HADJI

Comment

Alex86na2t wrote: The only known people to break a crank was Elecramotive with the GTP car. And they were making like 960hp to the wheels. I wouldn't worry about crank strength if i were you.
            Excellent! The TT crank will be sold then.
            378whp 445wtq

Comment

Is the reason most people get TT rods is becuase they're easier to find forged pistons for?
              It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Alex86na2t wrote: The only known people to break a crank was Elecramotive with the GTP car. And they were making like 960hp to the wheels. I wouldn't worry about crank strength if i were you.
                You might check me on this. But I dont think the GTP cars were using the same stock crank as we have. I believe it was made by someone just for that purpose.

I have seen two people break a VG30 crank. One was 8000 rpm + 250ish of N2O. Yes it and 4 rods broke doing so.
                The other I cannot explain. I think he had a damaged crank and blah blah. Nothing conclusive ever came out of that one.

So other those two people, I have never seen a broken crank and highly doubt I will at the levels 95% of the VG30 using community will ever make. Sell it and get parts that actually help you accomplish something. Like REAL rods and pistons. Or stock rods with arp's and shotpeen them.
                http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

But the TT rods are forged. Get rid of them? Stock TTs run pretty high hp on them.
                  378whp 445wtq

Comment

mark86t wrote: But the TT rods are forged. Get rid of them? Stock TTs run pretty high hp on them.
                    You do know all stock nissan 6 cyl rods are forged (since like 1970), right? You may want to run the TT rods for a few reasons (these are the reasons I am running them):

1. Poor track record with recent eagle rods, seemingly contained to the honda community though. They switched to forging in china, so go figure I decided to stay away. The next-best rods are $1000.

2. They already have a slightly larger (and full floating) standard sized pin that is easy to make pistons for.

3. The torque spec is higher on the rod nuts, and they have slightly more meat on the cap. I would replace the rod bolts with ARP hardware in either case.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote:
                      You do know all stock nissan 6 cyl rods are forged (since like 1970), right? I would replace the rod bolts with ARP hardware in either case.
                      I did not know our rods were forged. Always heard they were not. I will be using the TT rods with the in fo you just gave me. That's why I'm here. I get good info all the time. Thanks!
                      378whp 445wtq

Comment

mark86t wrote: I did not know our rods were forged. Always heard they were not.
                        I used to think they were not forged a long time ago... I hope to stamp out this incorrectness, but somebody obviously didn't read the new turbo FAQ.

Comment

When did they switch to forging in china.
                          dammit. i wanted the eagle rods.
                          Andrew

Comment

Back to the crank. Im sure a few people remember the VG 280Z in Miami that was making over 700whp on a stock internal engine. The rod(s) or piston(s) eventually failed after many dyno and track runs, but the crank was not the problem.

Comment

3. The torque spec is higher on the rod nuts, and they have slightly more meat on the cap. I would replace the rod bolts with ARP hardware in either case.
                              My TT eagle rods came with ARP hardware
                              1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Comment

Working...
                              X