Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine finally assembled (cat out of the bag)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from all the reliable sources I've heard.... high rpm and no load for breakin

maybe deceleration is the key.... short shifting up to top gear and downshifting agressively

best ask total seal what they think, too many people here blow shit up

Comment

The present manufacturing tolerances, and known expansion rates, probably allows for some repeatable results in engine break-in and warrantied life.

I think I read that factory engines are fired up with something besides gasoline. 'Pane or something. In any case, once oil consumption stabilizes, you probably have reached a steady state.

The most important thing is always allowing the engine to reach thermal equilibrium before beating on it. That goes for the life of the engine.

How high a vacuum does the car pull? What rpm/gear does boost start?
      Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

crowbar wrote: How high a vacuum does the car pull? What rpm/gear does boost start?
        It pulls about 14-15 inches right now, which is amazing considering the cams have 38 degrees of valve overlap.

Boost comes in about 2500RPM with a couple pounds and slowly tapers up, hitting 10PSI by ~3500 and 21PSI by ~4400RPM in 4th gear. The only gear with considerable lag is first, but that's only if you bog the launch like I always do.

Comment

and dan will start carrying them which is good for us all

Welp, Dan is kinda screwed at this moment.
          *I had manufactured way more TSS Race Springs than I need, and those(the next replenishment order $1.8k worth) are currently floating around in "A BIG BROWN TRUCK". 5 days till they are returned to sender, due to my lack of fianances.(I still have 4 sets of fronts on hand)
          *The SBC Clutches?...yeah, I can help everyone out but myself(sarcasm).
          ^^I need sales of products in order to make money, and at this point, I need to sell some of the stuff I have spent money on to pay bills and re-invest into these "other" things people would like(SBC).
          ~IF it isn't obvious, sales are down for some reason...but I assumed they would not be. Money, yeh, I have some...but it is sitting in front of me in product form.
          -Bill collectors?...I tell'em they have the wrong number!
          C'mon guys!...please! E-mail me if the order is of signifigant size, I'll work with you $$$!
          >>>>To those have been ordering, every penny adds up, and it is very much appreciated. It's just lately, I have been selling a dump load of the bolt kits and none of the things I thought that were gonna be hot sellers..the more expensive investments I have made.(plenums, springs, shocks/struts/ ETC)
          :cry:
          I am here to help...

Comment

Dan-TSS wrote: and dan will start carrying them which is good for us all

Welp, Dan is kinda screwed at this moment.
            *I had manufactured way more TSS Race Springs than I need, and those(the next replenishment order $1.8k worth) are currently floating around in "A BIG BROWN TRUCK". 5 days till they are returned to sender, due to my lack of fianances.(I still have 4 sets of fronts on hand)
            *The SBC Clutches?...yeah, I can help everyone out but myself(sarcasm).
            ^^I need sales of products in order to make money, and at this point, I need to sell some of the stuff I have spent money on to pay bills and re-invest into these "other" things people would like(SBC).
            ~IF it isn't obvious, sales are down for some reason...but I assumed they would not be. Money, yeh, I have some...but it is sitting in front of me in product form.
            -Bill collectors?...I tell'em they have the wrong number!
            C'mon guys!...please! E-mail me if the order is of signifigant size, I'll work with you $$$!
            >>>>To those have been ordering, every penny adds up, and it is very much appreciated. It's just lately, I have been selling a dump load of the bolt kits and none of the things I thought that were gonna be hot sellers..the more expensive investments I have made.(plenums, springs, shocks/struts/ ETC)
            :cry:
            I'm trying to save up some cash myself or I would have gone ahead with some purchases, my $200 vacation to georgian bay didn't help any either

I realy want to send some cams in from the gb but it's looking tight, and like you I'll be investing in parts like the knuckles and diff mounts very very soon

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
              Originally posted by crowbar
              http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resou ... gnbrkn.htm

I asked the dealer about highway driving, not keeping the same speed, beating on it, etc. He said that just let it warm up before driving it hard.
              I've read both of those links before... With Ford at least, at the factory most engines are "tested" by letting them idle for 30-40 seconds and then taking them to redline for 10 seconds. They claim if the engine is built correctly it should have no issues doing that, and that seems to agree with said links. I generally don't trust anything any person at a dealer says, as 90% of them are full of shit.

I'm still going to take it easy for he first little bit of the engine breakin period, if only for proper clutch breakin.
              OK I used to work for ford, and they NEVER start the vehicles like that. There is a test called EOL test (End Of Line), this tests all of the modules of the vehicles and then the cars are run on a chassis dyno for about 2-3 minutes. This dyno session consists of normal driving nothing abusive. But first they are warmed up to normal operating temp. The vehicles are taken up to 60mph with normal shifts (if they shift) then a WOT but not a long WOT. All of this data is saved in the PCM and can be recalled at any time with the right tools. Anyone can get these tools but the programs for the tools are property of ford. Some of you may of heard of the EEPOD, this is the interface used to connect to the vehicle modules. I cannot tell you the name of the software, in self preservation.

I NEVER worked in a dealership, I was an engineer in Sustainable Mobility Technology in Advanced Research Engineering Division. I only went to the plants when there were experimental parts being put on real cars to make sure they would last without any problems. Also I was at a plant when there was a problem and was fixing or testing it.

I also would never trust anyone in a dealership about this or any manufacturing questions simply because they did not produce the vehicles, they are only selling them. If they do say these types of things they are doing one of two things, speculating or telling the truth. If you think they are BS'n ask them if they were there on the assembly line, most will probably STFU. Whenever I would go to a dealership everyone would practically bow before me and ask ridiculous questions that I could not answer. As an engineer we were not supposed to have direct contact with the mechanics due to politics.
              Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
              Originally posted by BoostedMamma
              Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

Racinjitter wrote: OK I used to work for ford, and they NEVER start the vehicles like that. There is a test called EOL test (End Of Line), this tests all of the modules of the vehicles and then the cars are run on a chassis dyno for about 2-3 minutes. This dyno session consists of normal driving nothing abusive. But first they are warmed up to normal operating temp. The vehicles are taken up to 60mph with normal shifts (if they shift) then a WOT but not a long WOT. All of this data is saved in the PCM and can be recalled at any time with the right tools. Anyone can get these tools but the programs for the tools are property of ford. Some of you may of heard of the EEPOD, this is the interface used to connect to the vehicle modules. I cannot tell you the name of the software, in self preservation.
                I remember reading that a long time ago, perhaps it was either outdated, incorrect, or not about Ford motor like I remembered.

Their PCM's contain data for an indefinite amount of time, or just the initial startup data is stored? I've always wondered if dealerships will some day (or currently) have the ability to recall PCM data to see exactly HOW the car was driven.

I think everyone can probably agree that most car dealers generally know next to nothing about their products outside of what they are taught by the OEM's training materials.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I remember reading that a long time ago, perhaps it was either outdated, incorrect, or not about Ford motor like I remembered.

Their PCM's contain data for an indefinite amount of time, or just the initial startup data is stored? I've always wondered if dealerships will some day (or currently) have the ability to recall PCM data to see exactly HOW the car was driven.

I think everyone can probably agree that most car dealers generally know next to nothing about their products outside of what they are taught by the OEM's training materials.
                  All of the data is stored, from the initial programming to the exact time of every problem. I had to go out to New Jersay for a dealereship claiming that the brakes did not work at all and caused an accident in the lot. I got there pulled the data and the person never even hit the brakes, so the dealership had to eat all of the costs of the three damaged cars.

As of right now dealership can not recall all of this information, I dont think that they will get the tools to do this. Basically because if an engineer needs the information and it is not there, there wont be all of the data needed. If the mechanic can reset KAM then they will erase most of the engineering data. I know that the NGS and WDS can reset KAM, however it isnt truly resetting all of the KAM memory.
                  Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                  Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                  Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

I think I heard of a story regarding that exact thing (or very similar) regarding a braking failure on the truck line one of my brothers was working on at Ford. The driver apparently calimed the brakes had failed during operation, causing an accident, yet inspection of the truck afterwards showed perfectly working brakes. Then he told all his buddies to report the same issue with the trucks to cover his ass, but obviously he was found out in the end.

It's amazing how people like to blame equipment for their own problems :-/

They must have a fair memory capacity in order to hold all of the information over the cars lifespan. I'm somewhat glad dealerships cannot recover this kind of data, but I'm wondeirng if law enforcement should be able to in the case of an accident investigation?

Comment

I had a guy at work back a company pick-up (which he wasn't supposed to be driving anyway) into a flat bed trailer. Basicaly he didn't see it, but blamed the brakes. I was right there when it happined too. Didn't see any brake lights, and got in immidietly and the brakes were working perfect. How shocking.

I can't stand it when people won't fess up to their mistakes.
                      Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                      1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                      2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Ok, so here's an update.

I changed the oil for the first time last night (~140 miles) and watched carefully as I poured it into a container. Lots of fine metal particles, I'm glad I changed it "early". Also replaced the filter for good measure. Refilled with cheap 15w40 "heavy duty" motor oil and continued driving. I'll watch and see how (or if) the oil consumption drops off rapidly in the next few hundred miles before the next change.

Comment

did you save the oil? about how big were the particles? can you weigh a magnet, pass it through the oil, and then reweigh it to see whether the particles are iron?

Comment

got boost? wrote: did you save the oil? about how big were the particles? can you weigh a magnet, pass it through the oil, and then reweigh it to see whether the particles are iron?
                            Well, yeah I have the oil. I assume the small particles I can see are a combination of mostly iron, some steel, chrome and aluminum. I can see about putting a magnet in it...

Comment

actually it might be interesting to do an oil analysis if you haven't mixed that oil with other old motor oil. those particles shouldn't be very large as the filter shouldn't pass anything larger than about 40 microns depending the filter.

Comment

got boost? wrote: actually it might be interesting to do an oil analysis if you haven't mixed that oil with other old motor oil. those particles shouldn't be very large as the filter shouldn't pass anything larger than about 40 microns depending the filter.
                                I'm not sure it's worthwhile enough to pay the $20 to have it done... Especially when I don't even have $10 right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X