Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine finally assembled (cat out of the bag)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-E
    replied
    t70 wrote: Really great numbers! Once we put a new clutch in the '88 I'll be able to dyno it or take it to the track. As it sits, my data log was 0-85 km/h in 3.4 seconds at 7psi. That's about all i've got for info on it. Other than that, the engine breakin thing was nice to see. When I built the engine in my old Porsche 924 i had to use WOT and off throttle all the time for the first 600 miles. It was chrome rings too. The break-in i was told to use was just that on or off throttle -- no neutral throttle, and to slowly bring my rpms up day by day kind of thing. My engine turned out VERY solid and never burned any oil after break-in. It's kind of what i've done to the Z too.
    basically this is what I've been hearing from trustworthy sources regarding breakin, in a turbo car disconnect the wastegate and run it up and down the same way without the boost shooting the rpms up too quickly

Leave a comment:

• t70
    replied
    Really great numbers! Once we put a new clutch in the '88 I'll be able to dyno it or take it to the track. As it sits, my data log was 0-85 km/h in 3.4 seconds at 7psi. That's about all i've got for info on it. Other than that, the engine breakin thing was nice to see. When I built the engine in my old Porsche 924 i had to use WOT and off throttle all the time for the first 600 miles. It was chrome rings too. The break-in i was told to use was just that on or off throttle -- no neutral throttle, and to slowly bring my rpms up day by day kind of thing. My engine turned out VERY solid and never burned any oil after break-in. It's kind of what i've done to the Z too.

Leave a comment:

• mario88ss
    replied
    Congratulation........Sweet numbers glad to hear your car is running good.

Leave a comment:

• SteveZ
    replied
    [quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
    Originally posted by SteveZ31
    Cool stuff you should easily be in the High-mid 11s @ low 120s once you start throwing more boost at it on this setup.

I still say just throw on the 35R and pull some 130mph traps before the seasons over 8)
    It's an early non ballbearing version because it appears to have a standard center section. I still want to beat my previous best trap of 124mph using just boost :-/
    Oh well I didnt know why I though it was a BB Turbo ? Anyhow I can still see 130mph traps for you with that Turbo.

Yea and I am probably going to end up buying the Axle Stubs from Modern Motorsport early next year so maybe we should see if we can get a mini group buy going on with them when the time comes (unless you have something else up your sleeve?)

Leave a comment:

• Jason84NA2T
    replied
    SteveZ31 wrote: Cool stuff you should easily be in the High-mid 11s @ low 120s once you start throwing more boost at it on this setup.

I still say just throw on the 35R and pull some 130mph traps before the seasons over 8)
    It's an early non ballbearing version because it appears to have a standard center section. I still want to beat my previous best trap of 124mph using just boost :-/

MikeZ wrote: Nice man. That turbo is just starting to wake up at 14psi.
    Well, you know it's just the dinky turbo for now right?... the GT35 and Tial gate are still on the 87. I'm just enjoying the car as-is right now, I'll mess around with it later.

Rick88ss wrote:
    Nice numbers.What kinda boost controller are you using?
    Greddy Profec B Spec II

Leave a comment:

• MikeZ
    replied
    Nice man. That turbo is just starting to wake up at 14psi.

Leave a comment:

• SteveZ
    replied
    Cool stuff you should easily be in the High-mid 11s @ low 120s once you start throwing more boost at it on this setup.

Leave a comment:

• Rick88ss
    replied
    Nice numbers.What kinda boost controller are you using?

Leave a comment:

• G-E
    replied
    Jason84NA2T wrote: Not a bad benchmark for a starting point with this new engine, I can see mid 11's by the end of the summer
    at which point you will need those fancy rear hubs and stubs

Leave a comment:

• Jason84NA2T
    replied
    Update: I called Total Seal about the rings and they told me the chrome rings should only take a little longer than a standard ring set, and to give it 500 miles. Almost exactly at 450 miles (thursday) it appeared to have stopped comsuming oil entirely, so I figure it's good. Apparently the VG block has a hardness index matching that of most aftermarket high performance V8 blocks. I guess that partially explains why they handle power so well.

SO friday night I met up with some Maxima guys including MaxMaxima91:
    http://www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289

Another turbo (VQ30) maxima was there running mid 12's as well with a Z32 MAF set up in blow-through and using a greddy e-manage to correct the signal. Apparently it works nicely for him because the car sure did move; I think his best trap of the night was 117 or 118mph.

My first run I babied it not knowing what to expect with the launch, with boost set at at 10PSI and a 2.2 60' it ran a 13.16 @ 108.69

I did a couple more passes running 10PSI and biffed the launches, but each one was at a trap speed of around 109mph.

Turned the boost up to 14PSI later in the night and did many back-to-back mid 12 second passes. Times varied from 12.7 to 12.4 and the trap speeds were all right around 115MPH very consistantly. I then set the boost to spike to 17PSI and fall to ~14.5 and ran a 12.05 @ 116 according to the timing system, which is wrong. I compared the timeslips today and it cannot be right based on the other ET's (594, 1/8, 1000) so now I will no longer trust timeslips unless there's more than one. The next best time of the night I know to be accurate is 12.45 @ 115.94. I weighed the car and it came in at 3379lbs with me in it (I didn't take anything out of the car besides my tools). That would mean it's making close to 400whp @ 14PSI.

Not a bad benchmark for a starting point with this new engine, I can see mid 11's by the end of the summer

Leave a comment:

• Jason84NA2T
    replied
    Alex86na2t wrote: What is tp 16 equal, also what is 0psi.
    Idle/no load, and somewhere between 40 and 46 respectively.

Leave a comment:

• Alex86na2t
    replied
    What is tp 16 equal, also what is 0psi.

Leave a comment:

• MikeZ
    replied
    Glad to hear she is running again!

Leave a comment:

• Jason84NA2T
    replied
    I finally pulled my old timing map from my laptop. This is from the tune that made 453rwhp at 20 PSI (spiked to 21)

This was with a sized MAF bypass. I forget exactly, but I think around tp of 58 was 10PSI, 70 was about 14PSI, and 90 was ~19PSI

Leave a comment:

Working...
X