X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pssstt

this is what MrwassmanNA has been doing over the last week:

:twisted:

how effective do you believe an air to air I/C will be located behind the radiator?(the cars main heat exchanger)
    :shock:
    I am here to help...

Comment

Beware, the interheater!!!

But really, are you going to cut holes in the hood right there?

Comment

I was thinking that too...wait, that is my car. I AM HAVING ISSSUES!!!!!

Need help!!!

When i barely put any throttle it wants to die but after amount of throttle it comes back to life. Kinda..... It was doing this without the intercooler set up. It barely idles, it is great at top end so i guess it is running on some kind of closed loop set up. What should i do, it is getting to me and that is a hard thing to do!!!

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

someone needs to grab a cup of patience, and sit down and read before lifting any toools

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Beware, the interheater!!!

But really, are you going to cut holes in the hood right there?
            radiator has dual pusher fans in front of it, intercooler has a pusher under it

it's an ADFX Racing MR2 top mount (REALLY thick son bitch)

Comment

Doesn't matter, and I understand where you are at with your logicconcerning the I/Cand fans and all.
              It comes down to the facts.
              Air to Air I/C behind and Air to Water Radiator.
              One will have a greater transfer of heat than the other...hence the reasoning why it belongs in fornt of the Radiator to be effective/eficient enough to be worth having..
              :roll:
              I am here to help...

Comment

It's an issue of efficiency in the end. While it may still work to drop intake temps slightly, once the engine is warm I'd bet that core has lost 30-40% of it's heat recovery ability compared to positioning it it in a stream of cool ambient temp air.

Why don't I ever see people horizontal mount a properly sized core behind the radiator, in the gap between it and the crossmember? With two fans blowing upright it would pull plenty of ambient air and have about as short of piping as you can make for an air-air in the Z31.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: It's an issue of efficiency in the end. While it may still work to drop intake temps slightly, once the engine is warm I'd bet that core has lost 30-40% of it's heat recovery ability compared to positioning it it in a stream of cool ambient temp air.

Why don't I ever see people horizontal mount a properly sized core behind the radiator, in the gap between it and the crossmember? With two fans blowing upright it would pull plenty of ambient air and have about as short of piping as you can make for an air-air in the Z31.
                  well, basically he was going to have NO intercooler until our friend piped up and said he had that as a spare laying around from his MR2 and some piping

basically, we were given a box of piping parts and the core, and told GO

it's better than nothing

we have a spare hood, maybe we'll drop vent right over the IC

anyway, IC aside, we're still having major issues dealing with idle control and low RPM operation, the car seems to be acting like it has wayy too much fuel in the low RPM range, we've already gone over the vacuum lines and wiring and that looks alright, so the next thing we're thinking of is swapping over to the turbo idle control device.

the problem became 10x worse after installing the intercooler, before the intercooler it would just stutter below ~1500 RPM, but taking off around 1700 and it would run fine for the most part

some details on parts used with the conversion, maybe you guys can point us in the right direction because the tech we know is MIA

*car started as 85NA
                  *conversion using parts and ECU from an 86T auto
                  *262/256 cams
                  *intercooler which has an OEM MR2 BOV on it
                  *intake piping has an Apexi cone, 90* bend, MAF, stock S pipe, turbo, really short setup

so either it's something we royally fubar'd during the IC install, or it's due to the 86T auto ECU connected to an 85NA harness

edit: lawl, hi, it's Andrevas posting on Wass's account

Comment

if you just "vent" the intercooler in the hood you will accomplish one thing..... sucking even more hot air through it, the air will exit out of the hood....

what you need is a way to get oncoming air to enter the i/c first and exit behind the engine somewhere

Comment

G-E wrote:
                      if you just "vent" the intercooler in the hood you will accomplish one thing..... sucking even more hot air through it, the air will exit out of the hood....

what you need is a way to get oncoming air to enter the i/c first and exit behind the engine somewhere
                      thanks for that...

ANYWAY!

do you guys have any suggesstions about the fueling problem?

Comment

I would try posting that in the repairs section. Sounds like it could be the AFM, did you try another?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Based PURELY on assumption from what I see and read that you state of the build so far:
                          -Check the ecu pins against each other(85na ecu and the "infamous" 86t)
                          -"Pressure check" the intake before and after the AFM for a possible air leak
                          Report with your findings and method of diagnosis.
                          Attached Files
                          I am here to help...

Comment

or maybe the air is getting hotter after the afm and it isn't producing the same combustion efficiency

try a new afm, try bypassing the i/c with a straight pipe

Comment

turbo idle air control actually works but doesn't help with low RPM throttle

checked ignition components and swapped coils

tried 2 different AFMs, no bueno

NOTHING looks out of place for wiring and vacuum

no air leaks in piping, everything is tightened down

so far no good

Comment

Working...
                              X