No announcement yet.

intercooler sprayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You miss the most critical factor. That is time. And I am talking about increasing the performance of the intercooler under boost. Recuperation is built-in. The car naturally flows cool ambient air after it stops boosting. It scrubs the heat away internally.

But you miss many other smaller factors and you are using engineering terms incorrectly also. I can not discuss this with you. I hope that other people see the dynamics of the situation. You do not.

I feel that the large size of an intercooler can be reduced as a primary advantage. Even junk yard ICs like the audis and small ford units might be modified to make a neat little package.
    Attached Files
    Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

crowbar wrote: You miss the most critical factor. That is time. And I am talking about increasing the performance of the intercooler under boost. Recuperation is built-in. The car naturally flows cool ambient air after it stops boosting. It scrubs the heat away internally.
      actually when you stop boosting the intercooler can remain quite hot/warm partly because the lack of airflow when idling, and what minimal air is entering it is also still given heat by the turbo, so that's not an argument or the term "heatsoak" would be a non-issue and clearly that's not the case

crowbar wrote: But you miss many other smaller factors and you are using engineering terms incorrectly also. I can not discuss this with you. I hope that other people see the dynamics of the situation. You do not.
      small factors like acorns and pine needles in the fins, yes I suppose I do overlook things, funny how so far besides certain opinions agreeing with some of your opinions, all the actual analytical posts seem to agree with me

crowbar wrote:
      I feel that the large size of an intercooler can be reduced as a primary advantage. Even junk yard ICs like the audis and small ford units might be modified to make a neat little package.
      part 1: I think we all agreed this is possible about 10 posts back
      part 2: why would you pay money for a crappy intercooler and a water spray system and spend the time installing and tweaking it when you could have a proper intercooler for about the same ?

at least you have tried to answer with something inteligible unlike your usual cottoncandy retort

Comment

As I said, I can not argue with someone like you. You want to wash off your intercooler after boosting, go ahead. It has very little to do with what I am proposing and what most engineers agree upon.
        Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

I hate to be the first person to really interject here, but both of you guys need to calm down in general.

Don't get too riled up about things, people reading the topic will judge for themselves what you are saying... as I've been doing for just about every post I've read on every message forum I've been on, ever.

To have a structured argument you guys need to really stick to the topic and argue the points at hand from A to B to C and so on. Furthermore, I see lots of people saying "A" and others coming back with "but that's red" and frankly, it makes no sense. Claiming credentials is also useless if you don't use standard methods and/or have some experience with what you're talking about.

Just re-read the rules, and think each time before clicking the "post" button:

"Have I responded to all questions or points, made myself clear, and is this really worth contributing
          ?"

Comment

I think I have made it clear that I am addressing an active cooling system that would improve intercooler performance DURING boost.

I have little to no interest in 'recovery' systems. A person could certainly rev the engine to 2000 rpm if the car was not moving and the combined convection externally and air pumped naturally internally will scrub the heat out of the intercooler. If they want to spritz the outside also, it couldn't hurt. But how much it helps should be quantified in a test.

I am an Engineer and it should be pointed out when someone is misusing technical terms when posturing themself as a technical person.

For those people that wonder how hot the intercooler gets, and do not have the test equipment to measure it, get some of those thermal adhesive dots that turn color at certain temps. This will act as a tell tale so you can take data while the car is moving.
            Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

ugh, I'm not reading all of the replies but you can get one (or two or twenty) sprayers from a garden department that sprays the fine mist you are looking for. HOWEVER do not spray right before you make a run at the strip because I do belive it is illigal to drip ANYTHING on the track. I'm not to up to par on the rules though.
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

jjewell wrote: anyone here build there own intercooler sprayer? if so what did you use. i've looked all over and i can't find any garden sprinkler nozzles, the kind that put out a nice fine mist.
                Well I would sugest using water/alcohol injection.
                300zx 50AE running on Nistune, stock injectors, 60-1 Turbo at 12 psi, FMIC.
                01 Pathfinder LE, love that VQ35

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2264597

Comment

Just my thoughts
                  why not a efficient water to air intercooler unit similar to that of a subaru wrx, apart from being heavy and complicated if you had a decent size radiator unit for the water it would cool quite well , and you can even make them by jacketing a normal air to air core, im not saying im right or that i even know anything its just the one thing that involves water that you didn't discuss thats all
                  85 Turbo Slick Top
                  __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

then you're adding even more inertia and less thermal efficiency except in that the inertia of the water helps efficiency at the beginning and falls off rapidly unless you have a superb or oversized radiator for it away from any heat sources

in other words a water-to-air is most useful for short bursts like drag racing, and much less suitable if not downright bad for sustained boost such as enduro racing

Comment

Unless of course you have a few barrells of ice water in the trunk lol
                      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Please look up inertia.
                        Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

crowbar wrote: Please look up inertia.
                          learn physics, and please stop arguing semantics

Comment

Stop misusing words. Its that simple.
                            Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

crowbar wrote: Stop misusing words. Its that simple.
                              You need to stop arguing every little thing on here and turning simple 1 reply threads into pages of your BS. Thanks.

Comment

There is no argument. There is inertia.

Inertia
                                That property of matter which manifests itself as a resistance to any change in the motion of a body. Thus when no external force is acting, a body at rest remains at rest and a body in motion continues moving in a straight line with a uniform speed (Newton's first law of motion). The mass of a body is a measure of its inertia. See also Mass.
                                Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

Working...
                                X