intercooler sprayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intercooler sprayer

anyone here build there own intercooler sprayer? if so what did you use. i've looked all over and i can't find any garden sprinkler nozzles, the kind that put out a nice fine mist.

boost. does a body good!

Co2...and be sure that an "extra" solonoid is used to shoot your competitions Cold Air Intake just before launching off the line when lined up side by side.
    *You'll win everytime and they'll never figure out why he has a mysterious BOG!
    8)

(I've had some fun with Co2 and I/C's)
    :lol:
    I am here to help...

Comment

i was thinking a little simpler . i want to use water or the cheap rubbing alcohol mixed with water. i have a washer bottle and a motor i just need to find the nozzles to spray the mist on the intercooler when the weathers hot. my intercooler flows really well but i have found out that it's a little on the small side, it heat soaks rather quickly when sitting at an idle.

boost. does a body good!

Comment

You kinda answered your own question.
        FYI...There isn't a need for such a fine mist when you are relying on evaporation to aid in the normal operation of the I/C, SO...grab a w/s nozzle, preferably one that sprays in 3 directions(2000+ dodge neon) and aim it apropiately.
        (off the top of my head, I only know of 1 example for w/s squirters that have 3 different outlets for spray pattern to get full coverage of the I/C)
        *Just be creative!....If the pattern is too streamed, take a hook tool and indent/partially collapse the outlet hole to the squirter(they're usually soft/thin metal).
        :roll:
        I am here to help...

Comment

Here's a thought, buy a better intercooler? :P
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

dan

the part i was really looking for was the nozzle and was just wondering what kind of setup other people may have ran . i worded the original post completely and totaly wrong but now i hope it's alittle more understandable.

300zxt

i just bought a nice treadstone intercooler that is supposed to flow enough air for 600hp . i figured with my goal of 400hp all day long on a factory motor, that this intercooler would be more than enough and it is after the cars been moving for a few seconds. for everyday driving it's great but i wanted to build the intercooler spray system for the drag strip or really freakin hot days (which we had our fair share of this year in the north east)

boost. does a body good!

Comment

A good thing to do is to get a windshield wiper sprayer nozzle from a GM car and use it. Just reroute the stock window cleaner in the z and wire in a toggle or some kind of switch.
              KILL HADJI

Comment

do they have a wide pattern or just some little steams . i have another motor and bottle ready i just need to find a good nozzle.

boost. does a body good!

Comment

you can use your headlight washer pump and nozzles, mount one on each side and off you go, cheap and easy

Comment

I'd actually be interested in seeing this done if you actually do decide to do it, take some pics if you can!
                    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

I suspect that intercoolers are just heat sponges that take awhile to 'dry' out (once soaked). They are heat sinks in my opinion. The heat leaves the pressurized intake air, conducts through the metal intercooler, and then stalls because it can not effectively make the 'jump' to air (convection). I bet that once boost stops, and the IC is 'soaked' that much of that trapped heat is sucked back into the engine since the normal non-boosted air flowing through the intake plumbing is greater than the outside air flow.

By that I mean that most any intercooler will work fine for an amount of time that is determined by its soak time. Given enough soak time (non-stop boost), any intercooler should either reach a steady-state (heat released to air=heat soaked up) or a runaway heat condition (heat just builds). So the heat runs into the IC, turns around and gets back into the engine after the boost/heat stops!

If I were to spray the exterior of an intercooler, I would want to do so BEFORE the boost even starts. If I were to use this setup, then having an airstream flow over it (front mount) is NOT critical. The heat release through evaporation would 'flow' the heat out very effectively.

I would want somewhat warmed up water/alk misted across the finned surfaces so that when it evaporates, it takes away the metal-locked heat very quickly. The actual evaporation mechanism may be the key. Spraying all alk would be great but very dangerous. The alk will just evaporate into a cloud that could present an explosive hazard.

This is a very similar engineering problem to machine guns. Air cooled MGs are very limited to the number of rounds they can fire over time. Interestingly, its not the rate of MG fire (cyclic) but the number fired per minute. Typically 60-120 rounds a minute only. A water cooled MG can fire almost non-stop. It is not so much water cooled as it is steam producing. The WWI MGs needed steam condensation boxes to recapture the water. The metal MG barrel reached a steady state where it would not rise in temp even though fired non-stop. Just like the radiator on your car sort of.

If there was a way to recapture alk (or whatever working fluid R134, etc)after if had evaporated, then a great intercooler performance leap can be made.
                      Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

a properly sized i/c will dissipate adequate heat so as not to heat soak under boost while driving forward, the question is how "fast" is that threshold and how much boost/heat is that in that particular engine's case (for sizing)

so if you've figured out your turbo produces X heat and you find an i/c that will meet your temperature drop efficiency and size requirements, then the design/ducting/location will be the only thing you have to worry about

in the case of the new subarus that have the sprayer stock, they benefit at all times since they severely undersize the i/c and the location sucks period

assuming a good fmic with good fin design and airflow across it, the best time to spray it would be just after boosting when you return to vacuum, that's when the residual heat in the i/c core will radiate to the edges and can benefit the most from a spray cooling

Comment

Sprayers from a drip irrigation system would be perfect for what you need.
                          I had considered it myself just because i have the nozzles left over from doing my backyard.
                          You can get a multitude of spray patterns, fixed flow rates and adjustables.
                          Get down to your local hardware store.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I will agree, a good quality intercooler will do the job and not need intercooler sprayers. If your using CO2 then it might be worth it even with a good intercooler but just sprayin water on it isnt worth it. Me and my buddy did a water sprayer on his intercooler with 3 windsheild washer sprayers with a fuel pump and a pressure switch. We didnt notice any difference in power or detonation threshold so we removed it. You might be better off with water/methanol or alcohol injection to cool the intake charge. However that will only work to a point, it starts robbing power from you at some point

Comment

I agree. Water has just too high an evaporation point. That is why I would suggest another working fluid.

But it was funny to read G-E's bass-ackwards advice!
                              Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

Working...
                              X