Champion CC762 3-Row aluminum radiator installation & review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaur View Post
    Maybe the way Nissan did it is good inspiration.
    Thank you very much!!! Sorry, I have no Maxima information. This is great and much easier installation. I am glad to know about the LIM mounting position and the need to increase the temperature to 210 F.
    2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

I'd stick with a 180F switch, due to being in Florida and having retained A/C. It will come on every time you stop, and remain on until back up to speed.

Do you remember what year the LIM's were pulled from? i've got the late style, and was pretty sure it was a BSPT port - though i never measured.

Comment

Yes, one is an '85 and the other is an '86. I am trying to get ahold of Rick and go with that fancy DCControls Dual Fan Controller. It looks very nice.
        2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

Originally posted by CAG8OR View Post

Thank you very much!!! Sorry, I have no Maxima information. This is great and much easier installation. I am glad to know about the LIM mounting position and the need to increase the temperature to 210 F.
          That excerpt I posted was from the FSM of European Z31 models. They had e-fans from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by CAG8OR View Post
            The threads are Not 1/4BSPT from what I can tell. They are simply M12X1.25. I have both a M12X1.25 bolt and tap and both thread into all four holes on both of my spares..
            The stock fan switch that came in some lower intakes was for sure 1/4" BSPT and it is a known fact that Nissan used BSPT threads for oil and water sensors on their older engines.

Since the 1/4" BSPT has a 13.157mm Major Diameter and 11.445mm Minor Diameter with 1.337mm thread pitch, the M12x1.25 would be fairly close with a 11.97 mm Major Diameter and 10.619mm Minor Diameter on external threads with a 1.25mm thread pitch.

Not saying you didn't do what you did, just a logical explanation of why it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by PegCityZ View Post

The stock fan switch that came in some lower intakes was for sure 1/4" BSPT and it is a known fact that Nissan used BSPT threads for oil and water sensors on their older engines.

Since the 1/4" BSPT has a 13.157mm Major Diameter and 11.445mm Minor Diameter with 1.337mm thread pitch, the M12x1.25 would be fairly close with a 11.97 mm Major Diameter and 10.619mm Minor Diameter on external threads with a 1.25mm thread pitch.

Not saying you didn't do what you did, just a logical explanation of why it worked.
              Understood, good information. If this is the case, then I have located the adapter here:

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/60041639

There are many 3/8" Male NPT fan switches from American Volt on Amazon.

Discover Parker Industrial Pipe Fittings at MSC Industrial Supply. Over 1 million products that ship and deliver fast

Comment

CAG that part is incorrect, MALE side is listed as 3/8 BSPT.

You need to locate a 1/4 BSPT (1/4-19) male to 1/8 NPT (1/8-27) female to utilize the LIM port with a 1/8NPT coolant switch

this *should* be the correct one, do not trust my word, give them a call and see how they can help sorting out your needs.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09725250
                Last edited by 88sinZ; 09-15-2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I am getting old, must have posted incorrect link. I am going in a different direction now. Going to weld a bung into my new Champion to mount the sensor from the AutoCoolGuy. This in conjunction with his 125A PCM control unit should do the trick. I love the way his PCM control unit functions. The fans came today, I ordered both, because I did not see Rick's post first. Anybody need a brand new Maxima dual fan kit? I will sell it cheap. I am going with the Ford unit.

Comment

heck, maybe test fit both and see what your prefer.

I have noticed that it seems like the 5 bladed maxima fan pulls more air compared to the 4 blade side, one day when i'm feeling adventurous i will swap the 4 blade for the 5

Comment

I just got back to Florida from business trip. I have made a little progress. Going to try and post a picture from phone. This site is not phone friendly. Well, crap! IPhone pics too big to upload. This sucks.

Comment

I had to email the pics to my laptop and use the laptop, what a crock of Sh*t that is, but it appears to have worked. Guess I know why there are not that many pictures on here.

I have a question for all of those that have used this fan assembly. There are quite a few holes in the shroud. I am wondering if you filled all of the holes with Silicone gasket maker or something similar???

Comment

Here is a tool I made to split the silicone tubing for the gasket. I wish I had black, but all I had was some red. Since my car is red, I don't think it looks that bad. The last shot is how the radiator arrived. It was in perfect condition.

Comment

That looks pretty legit, just insure you have a stable fan/shroud mount. i'm running no shroud gasket and it does fine, if you can. wire those fan on high for it's trigger.

Did you have to tweak the upper mounts as i did? it's really not much, and as noted i used endlink bushings to isolate upper mount vibration.

I'm running a 170F (76C) thermo, a 190F(?) (87C) fan switch is in the LIM and cycles regularly during slower cruise driving - stays on during long reds, holds steady on stints. Loving the capacity it does cycle i really need to take some logs and look at it.

Will really be putting it to the test this weekend during a mountain climb. https://www.facebook.com/events/1766234570286447/
                            Last edited by 88sinZ; 10-12-2016, 11:27 PM.

Comment

When I put the factory lower bumpers on the aluminum tank, the holes for the upper ears no longer fit. I am going to have to drill new holes. I have pictures but no time to convert them and upload them this morning. It is game day and I am heading to the Swamp. I will try to get them posted.

I am trying to figure out if everybody using this Ford housing plugged all the holes in the housing. There are tons of them and cant help the flow rate at all.

Comment

I had a similar issue with my Champion 3 row, with the stock lower bumpers, the upper ears didn't align, then i found that one of the welds attaching the ears was broken, so i skipped on using it until
                                i can fix the bracket.

I didn't bother with the holes, they don't make measurable difference on the amount of air pulled through the fins of the radiator. These fans move a lot of air.
                                Using only one fan was enough to keep my car cool at idle. haven't got it on the road yet.

If you wanted you could use some OEM plugs off of newer Nissans and add some Nissan DNA to keep your car from rejecting the domestic ford DNA transplant
                                Like these, but they say NISSAN on the top of them. I use them for unused fastener holes throughout the engine bay. A little RTV to hold them in place if they are undersized.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X