Cylinder bore - out of round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder bore - out of round

Hey, has anybody measure their cylinder bores on low or high mileage undamaged blocks? I finally found (afford) a decent cylinder bore gauge and I tore down two engines to measure.
    BLOCK #1 - a VG33E from 2000 Xterra with blown HG's at 150,000 miles.
    BLOCK #2 - JDM VG33E from an Elgrande. Mileage unknown, but presume lower mileage (as all JDM claim to be) - 50K-65K'ish.

Interesting results:
    BLOCK #1 had significant taper and out-of-round measurements after just 150,000 miles. 5 of the 6 cylinders were at the limit or beyond in taper in the thrust direction; 1 cylinder in the axial direction. The out-of-round measurement in cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4 were SEVERE. As much as 5 times the specification (0.0006") at 0.0030" out of round. These measurements were taken after pistons, rods, and crank were removed.

BLOCK #2: I just did a couple quick measurements with the pistons still in, but it seems all the measurements are in spec on 3 of the 6 cylinders. All within .0004" of the 0.0006" limits for taper and out of round. I will break it down and measure these too, and update this post with that data.
Working...
X