Water Pump Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump Replacement

Hi y'all. I'm replacing the water pump in my '85 turbo and trying to stick with genuine Nissan parts. The water pump for the 85 is discontinued but the water pump for the W series engine is still available. Is there any real difference between the two, or should I be fine using the 87-89 water pump for my 85? Thanks!

There may be some differences as there were some minor changes to the W series engine over the A and B series engines. It had redesigned water galleries for additional cooling and fully floating piston wrist pins.

Because the OEM water pump for the 84-85 is NLA, I got a Beck/Arnley from RockAuto. Comes with the gasket, and I haven't had any problem with it.

Unfortunately we can't be too picky about where we get our parts from as Nissan has discontinued many critical parts. I imagine one day most Z31's will look like Mad Max's car from the "Road Warrior."

Come to think of it, has anyone built a bucket seat for their dog in their Z31?
    RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.
    Last edited by daniel_pearce; 11-07-2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I'm glad you linked this, the Beck/Arnley water pump there on Rock Auto says it covers 84-89 model years and lists both the A/B 21010-02P26 water pump and the W 21010-02P85 water pump as OEM models it replaces. I'll go ahead and grab the W series Nissan water pump and see what happens!

Comment

I've had luck getting remanufactured oem cores at NAPA.
        But it's usually the shaft seal/bearing and not a casting that fails, so a cheap aftermarket
        pump could very well be remanufacured with the same seal/bearing as a OEM pump.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Don't forget the timing belt while you're getting the pump. BTW... aftermarket pump. I think autozone or advance on mine. Been there since 2009 with no issues.
          --------------
          Legal stuff:
          **Nissan Employee**
          Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
          '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
          '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
          '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
          '00 Corolla-- kids car.
          '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

• lzrhawk
            lzrhawk commented
            Editing a comment
            Yessir, I'm getting the full 60K workup done

You can get the fancy high performance blue belt at Rockauto.

Courtesy still sells 60K Timing Belt Kits. They are around $300
          https://www.courtesyparts.com/1984-1989-300zx-z31/

Rockauto also has Timing belt, water pump component kits and they are pretty cheap price wise. If you don't need belts, etc, might be cheaper to piece it either way. There's a discount code on here for rockauto for 5% off I think.

Amazon probably has stuff too as well as a bunch of other places.

A lot of the maintenance stuff fits other Nissans too, the belts fit (off rockauto)
          INFINITI M30 1990-1992
          NISSAN 200SX 1987-1988
          NISSAN 300ZX 1984-1989
          NISSAN D21 PICKUP 1986-1994
          NISSAN MAXIMA 1985-1994
          NISSAN PATHFINDER 1987-1994
          NISSAN QUEST 1993-1994

Comment

Working...
          X