Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Someone validate My thinking(W-series Combo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Someone validate My thinking(W-series Combo)

Based off the info here:
    http://www.300zxrestoration.com/wserieschanges.html
    *I'm seeing that it is possible to utilize the W-Series Block, non-w head gaskets, and non-w heads as a long block combination.
    **Anyone done this, any drawbacks noted on the new/additional coolant passages on the W-series block being blocked off?
    ***Lazy me, I'm just trying to avoid having to tear down another set of heads for porting/polishing, as it looks like one of the builds I am doing is going in the direction of switching to a "back-up" block I have on hand due to some minor cylinder defects to the original block.
    (I prolly should just re-assemble the non-w heads from the original engine, slap them back on the non-w block for storage sake and start all over with the W motor, keeping it a "full w-series engine).
    :roll:
    http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/dantss/aj87t/
    I hate doing things twice! Atleast the intake manifold that I ported/polished can be swapped between the two engine versions.
    I am here to help...

I haven't done it, but it should work fine.
    Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

looked through those pics, lol, looks like you had your work cut out for you... I like the picture labeled "It ran!"
      1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

yeah, soooo much on this car was "rigged" it wasn't even funny. only 4 bell housing bolts were holding the transmission to the block, numerous stupid little things. Funniest shit is...alot of this was done by a well known business in the Rochester,NY area that specializes in Z32's.
        I shouldn't/won't list the name of the shop....but to say the least, the previous owner of this car paid top dollar for the I/C pipes, ACT Clutch install, and a few other things only to come out with a car that had a slew of issues and just was never the same....they murdered the engine bay!
        *It did however, RUN....but just because it "ran" doesn't mean anything about the deal was right.
        8)
        **With labor, and a GOB of newer, bigger parts....this car will be tuned to the 400hp. mark or slightly beyond.
        ***The customers costs for me to do all this and make all the wrongs back to right along the way.....(DON'T ASK!)
        I'm not cheap...like the work that was previously done to the car.
        :lol:
        I am here to help...

Comment

to answer your question, as long as you use the non-w h/g you can use any head, maybe without the benefit of the redesigned cooling, but so far I'm not sure it has been proven necessary anyway

I think slicktop was complaining about cracked heads he's seen (when someone mentioned they don't), perhaps the w-series heads could survive longer at higher temp due to the more complete cooling circulation but who knows

Comment

Dan-TSS wrote: Funniest shit is...alot of this was done by a well known business in the Rochester,NY area that specializes in Z32's.

I cannot believe a supposed shop actually did this to someones car let alone charged them for it. :x
            2005 whore magnet

Comment

Dam haxors

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

UPDATE:
                Checked the back-up '88t w engine...all cylinders are bueaties, x-hatch visible and pistons relatively clean. Iv'e decided to use this engine for the '87t build along with the '88t w heads. The owner of the car was very willing to spend some dough($$) to have me refinish everything similiar to what I had done to the "Project'88T" job. I was skeptical as to what kind of $$ the owner was willing to spend for the '88t w engine as I had plans to use it for my own purposes. For the said(un-said) amount of $$..I'll gladly use it in this build.
                This week I'll get the heads, and exhaust manifolds ported/polished....then I'll move onto the block and accessories refinishing process while waiting for the heads to come back from the valve job work being done.
                *Thanks for everyones opinions/thoughts.
                8)
                Dan
                I am here to help...

Comment

Yeah, All of the shops in rochester suck. If you can't order it out of a catalog and just bolt on they will zip tie away. I had the same said place put KYB struts on my corrolla and they broke the rear brake lines, Did a half ass job bleeding them and didn't tighten one of the rear brake lines and I lost my brakes and almost nailed a car. I have given up and do all of my work myself. Its a good thing that I only live a hour from Dan. I think that he would make a killing if he moved up here. He could live on fart cans and wings alone.

Comment

Working...
                  X