New turbo inlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New turbo inlet

The pictures mostly speak for themselves. The filter is driectly on the cobra maf, which connects to a straight 3" pipe and then to the turbo inlet. It's a straight shot the whole way.

The duct tape is preventing the pipe from rattling on the engine mount, I still need to finish making the maf mounting bracket and grind a little more on the mount so the pipe won't hit it.

That one is different than the one you had last night, right?

That duct tape going to be a PITA to remove.
    1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
    '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
    "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

Thats kinda neat. What are your thoughts on the filter being right behind the radiator? CAI freaks will be jumping on this one.
      http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

280Z Turbo wrote: That one is different than the one you had last night, right?

That duct tape going to be a PITA to remove.
        Yeah, just did it today after work.

I actually thought about that and put a plastic bag under the duct tape so it won't actually stick to the pipe!

Steve88t wrote:
        Thats kinda neat. What are your thoughts on the filter being right behind the radiator? CAI freaks will be jumping on this one.
        Well, it has always been right behind the radiator... even when the old engine was making ~450whp. But you knew that.

I cut out some of the metal behind the headlight to help it out a little, but I still have not come up with a really good way to get only ambient temp air to the filter.

Comment

Steve88t wrote: Thats kinda neat. What are your thoughts on the filter being right behind the radiator? CAI freaks will be jumping on this one.
          Dan covered this a while ago...

Dan-TSS wrote:
          Yeah, Team Green Clamped directly to the AFM "INLET".
          ~It's located off to the side of the black magic fan shroud. Up here in NY, I don't have any issues with the hot air from the e-fan.
          *It has been an issue for a few, 1 out of 20 people,, where the e-fan/radiators hot air seems to cause issues with idling(or proper afm metering as I see it). A quick, home made sheet metal air damn/air deflector fixes the issue.
          **It was proven many years ago with back to back dyno runs, that there was a 3-4 hp. difference between the mounting of the Team Green Directly to the AFm and mounting it to a piece of 3" dia pipe above the e-fan in the original filter box location.
          What brand filter is that Jason?
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

300zxt wrote: What brand filter is that Jason?
            Brand? It came in a white box and was $5 on ebay. From what I can tell it lets a lot of airborne dust through, but traps the larger particles. In other words it's a hunk of crap as far as filtration goes. I do plan to replace it with something better fairly soon, as none of my real K&N cones have a 3.5" coupler.

Comment

Oh drats, I thought maybe Team Green might of come to their senses and started making them in decent colors lol

Comment

well that supra filtration test is pretty good for pointing out cones typically suck at filtering, except the apexi....

Comment

You mean this one?

Comment

The air goes thru an intercooler anyway, so shouldn't matter.

*one who has right in the middle of radiator 8)

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: The air goes thru an intercooler anyway, so shouldn't matter.
                      It does matter... The delta temperature change is not a static amount. If it goes into the compressor 10 degrees cooler it may come out of the compressor more than 20 degrees cooler than before (say 240 degrees instead of 260 degrees). Then you would need to know the temperature drop through the IC to figure the other delta temp change.

Comment

umm, ok.

well, at my 6.8psi of furry, I don't have issues. But i am sure on your car it does

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: well, at my 6.8psi of furry, I don't have issues.
                          would that be hot pink fun fur?

300zxt wrote:
                          You mean this one?
                          yes

Comment

i heard of the blitz units being good too , if i am mistaken then good cuz id hurt myself if i ever payed 200+ for a filter anyway , ill stick to my cheapo not so good working cone..

Comment

I was talking to a guy at Rocket Industries here in Australia about filter types for the cooler air intake and he suggested the following....

Apollo Closed Intake System
                              http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/desc ... NRC-5051AL

What do ya'll think about this? I had never seen them before myself. It looks like the threaded fitting on the end would be used for a hose extension connected to it and then plumbed somewhere outside of the engine bay.

Bah, only supports up to 350BHP!

Comment

Working...
                              X