Melting pistons 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melting pistons 101

1. Take a 500+bhp boosted motor with stock cast pistons.

2. Like an idiot, run that motor in full boost for an extended period of time at a very high rate of speed.

3. Remove pistons/rods to discover 4 if them are completely fine.

Of the other two, one had a cracked ring/land (but oddly enough, not the first compression ring, only the second) and the other one had actually been melted on the exhaust side. I have no speculation as to what caused it because I know exactly what caused it. (this was the old engine that made a mere 453rwhp)

Pictures for your entertainment:

http://www.redz31.com/images/forum/pistonmelt1.JPG

http://www.redz31.com/images/forum/pistonmelt2.JPG

http://www.redz31.com/images/forum/pistonmelt3.JPG

running a bit lean in that cylinder?

Comment

I was thinking that too, so I swapped out the injector on #2 (the melted one). I'm pretty sure it was only from running it so hard for so long, otherwise nothing would have become of it.

Comment

hmmmm...this is why I'm kinda glad that the '87T build is using a new/diferent engine now.(G/C '88t w-series 116,000 miles)
        Do you have any cylinder wall picts?
        Just for the curious....
        Dan
        I am here to help...

Comment

I'll take some pics of the cylinder walls if you want, but they're not really scored very badly. I think you might just be able to re-hone and install new pistons/rings and this block would be usable. Even the ~130K bearings look great, but I would replace them anyway.

Comment

looks like a cool new paperweight to me
            1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
            1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

Yeah, that is sick

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

hahaha awesome
                2005 whore magnet

Comment

Shen_VG30ET wrote: looks like a cool new paperweight to me
                  That's what I use em for. On my desk....

Melted piston from lawnmower running on nitromethane, broken camshaft from a still functioning engine, Piston with half of con-rod from the same working engine, and transaxle gear minus teeth.
                  sigpic

Comment

[quote]Butter wrote:
                    Originally posted by Shen_VG30ET
                    looks like a cool new paperweight to me
                    That's what I use em for. On my desk....

Melted piston from lawnmower running on nitromethane, broken camshaft from a still functioning engine, Piston with half of con-rod from the same working engine, and transaxle gear minus teeth.
                    Were you the ones on the net who did the lawnmower vs nos. Shoot nvm, u said nitro methane.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

well now you know which two cylinders to tune from.

"You always burn one or two cylinders, in the meantime the other slackers are running rich." Bob Norwood
                      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: well now you know which two cylinders to tune from.

"You always burn one or two cylinders, in the meantime the other slackers are running rich." Bob Norwood
                        Wow, it's like he... read my mind!

Comment

haha, #1 looked the same way when i pulled it out today. compression guage barely flinched... turns out 18 psi on a stock 95k miles n/a motor likes to run rich. stinky started leaning it out on the dyno and the open dump is so loud you can`t hear the detonation. i also blew a big chunk of piston skirt off.

i threw another piston in it today and i`ll get it all back together tomorrow. i think i`m going to plumb the dump pipe into the exhaust for tuning purposes, i do love the sound of it though. then richen it back up. i was making 360hp on that set up before any tuning, running balls rich, 360hp.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                          good thing....

Comment

Bob Norwood is a crazy guy (local to me) and his philosophy on tuning requires deep pockets, cause he likes to turn up the boost until it blows, then back it down a hair. I even got to see him tune on the dyno, and make 1500hp with a turbo ferrari, and this was years ago.
                            Chuck Stong
                            300+ Parts and Performance owner
                            http://www.300-plus.com
                            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Hey jason, Remember those semi truck pistons at the place where you got your BOV welded on?

Those were some fucking melted pistons. Like the entere tops of the pistons were just fucking gone.
                              Just in case you're wondering, I'm Pylon_Boy

I'm moving out of the country. Buy my tools, cars, car parts, ect.
                              http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpylon_boyQQhtZ-1

Comment

Working...
                              X