interesting developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting developments

had a chance to work on the car today, found out one of my side markers won't blink (my relay mod works on the other side wtf)

replaced the down/mid pipe section of the exhaust from the stock triple walled 50lb thing to that dual pipe someone had made for my parts car (non-turbo), removed the broken studs from the manifold flange as well as both ends of the cat.... I used some of the tension rod bracket screws that I replaced earlier, worked fantastic, new mainfold gaskets, and reused the stainless sandwich gaskets on the manifold flange and cat flanges

anyway the real guts of the issue is that I pieced together new intake piping and capped off the idle controls, set the throttle idle screw - bang on ~700rpm how cool is that, but after idling it for about 2-3min one of the lifters (or rockers, or more than one dunno) started ticking loudly so I shut it down....

did some stuff, tightening bolts, whatever, went back to it started it and no ticking, I held rpm around 1500 for 30sec and let it idle, went to check oil pressure and it was at 40psi.... (guage is in the engine bay)... get back in the car and it starts ticking again @$%!$

did roughly the same as above again and this time I checked oil pressure the moment it idled, down to 22psi ??? wtf... and of course it started ticking again so off it went

????

just an irrelevant reminder: I'm using the 87T ecu with 87T injectors and no o2 sensor hooked up, full 2.5" exhaust with dual tip muffler (sounds as good as ever)

Ironic. One of my lifters started "ticking" today as well. I'm assuming its the nearest to the firewall on the driver's side that is sticking. I thought about running some lucas just to see what happens, but more than likely I"ll have to replace it. ;(
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Just a thought but if you may consider running some Marvel Mystery Oil in the engine oil for a bit. I would think that keeping it at around 1K while sitting stationary for a few minutes would do the trick.

Ive use it in several old and tired engines, diesel and gas, and ran them balls out with no issues but in your case I would just run it at a high idle and no load for several minutes and see how it reacts. The results should be readily apparent if it is going to help. Just a thought.
      Just stand back and throw money.
      Performance costs money.
      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

FlawleZ wrote: Ironic. One of my lifters started "ticking" today as well. I'm assuming its the nearest to the firewall on the driver's side that is sticking. I thought about running some lucas just to see what happens, but more than likely I"ll have to replace it. ;(
        http://www.300zxrestoration.com/lifterrebuild.html
        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

run a pint of marvel mystery oil through your next oil change. it really cleans the engine out well. i'm doing it in this last change with 10W40 castrol hard drive. its making the engine much quieter. i can't believe the difference. i'll change the oil at 2000 miles and do it over again. my engine only has 115K on it. doesn't burn a drop of oil. i'm going to pull the valve covers off and see how well it cleaned the internals. on the stock gauge my oil pressure is always 30psi at idle and about 50 above idle. damn good engineering on these motors. my toyota was blowing smoke at 125000 (22re 4 banger). it was abused thou. the rocks were asking for punishment. :twisted: .

also run a quart of marvel through a few tanks of gas. its amazing how much your mileage goes up. and how much quieter the fuel pump got in my car

Comment

^good point 84z31-

I have used Marvel Mystery Oil for years on all kinds of engines. No matter their type or age they love that stuff when added to the oill and/or gas.

I know a couple farmers out where my parents live that wont change the oil on their equipment or fill up the diesel without giving them a shot of Marvel to keep the engines running strong.

It even works well in hydraulic systems. I dumped a 1/2 gallon into one of my fathers backhoes that was having hydraulic pump issues and the dang thing found a new life and it is still running strong on the Mystery Oil 4 years later. That engine , turbo, hydraulic pump should have died out years ago but that thing wont give up. I am convinced that once I started pumping Mystery Oil into it that backhoe found a new lease on life despite its years of excruciatingly harsh use.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

i've gotten rid of lifter noise by running engine cleaner in the engine before an oil change . basicaly what i do is get any off the shelf engine cleaner . then i put the bottle of gunk in and start the car and let it idle for about 20 minutes without revving the engine at all. drain the oil and remove the now 100lbs oil filter . when i buy my oil before doing this i get my regular oil and filter and the cheapest oil and filter . i then put the cheap stuff in and start the car and let idle for about another 20 minutes. drain and put in the good oil and filter and the oil on the next 2500 mile oil change will be very clean as apposed to before the cleaning oil changes. in really can't beleive how much luck i've had by doing this . the lifters stay much much quieter and the oil stays very clean. i've also been doing this for about 4 years now on many different cars with the same results.

boost. does a body good!

Comment

Well just a slight update on my lifter problem:

I ran some Lucas oil stabilizer for a few miles with no change. I even ran the motor at 1000 rpms for 10 minutes or so to help with relieving any air pressure that may have been caught in the lifters. I'm just going to replace mine today. I think its over the #6 cylinder.

Something interesting to note: Most of the parts dealers (O'reilly's, Autozone, Napa, etc.) are wanting between $15-20 for a new lifter for the VG30. Nissan wants $13 and that's without my Z Club discount.
                545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

give the lucas a day or two. for some reason it takes a while for it to shut up a lifter but once it does, it`s gone. don`t use the lucas in winter though... 100 psi can`t be good (i have seen it on my car)

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                  good thing....

Comment

When i had my heads apart, I took every lifter apart and cleaned it. Probably 2mm of sludge/dirt in the bottom of each one. Easy to do, and effective as far as i can tell.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

when I get a chance I'll swap that bank of lifters and stuff with the ones from my 86na

Comment

Ok so I've got the rocker assemby off and I'm really leaning towards a nice thorough cleaning. Am I off in left field to assume that I can just soak the assembly in gasoline to eat off all the built gunk?
                        545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

use diesel. it'll eat the crap off.

Comment

http://www.mizpahprecision.com/pricing.htm
                            I sent 18 old lifters to them and said to rebuild as many as were worth it. All 18 came back like new.

$3.50 each plus $10.00 shipping
                            ...and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Comment

^^^
                              Thats bitchin

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Working...
                              X