X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solid engine mounts?

don't think anyone has posted these yet here

http://www.geefpc.com/prod03.htm

there's actually 10 sets of these for 10 dollars less per set on eBay from them right now

Holy crap! $109!!! :shock: I think I made mine with some crap laying around the shop and they work great
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Yeah considering that those are very easy to make yourself, it's just throwing money away.

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
      1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
      1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
      2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
      2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

i've even seen people use a stack of washers. a little ghetto, but it gets the job done.

Comment

$10 for both sides, available at any hardware store. Fender washers and grade 8 bolts
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

What's so wrong with the polyurethane mounts?
            Originally posted by Andrew84zx
            tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

FlawleZ wrote: What's so wrong with the polyurethane mounts?
              I didn't say anything was wrong with them, Wassman has them and they seem to work perfectly

I just thought I'd throw them out there

for some reason, I wouldn't feel comfortable just making something ghetto for engine mounts.

Comment

[quote]Andrevas wrote:
                Originally posted by FlawleZ
                What's so wrong with the polyurethane mounts?I didn't say anything was wrong with them, Wassman has them and they seem to work perfectly

for some reason, I wouldn't feel comfortable just making something ghetto for engine mounts.
                I love mine. I would think the solid mounts would transfer a bit too much vibration for me.
                Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

[quote]FlawleZ wrote: [quote=Andrevas]
                  Originally posted by FlawleZ
                  What's so wrong with the polyurethane mounts?I didn't say anything was wrong with them, Wassman has them and they seem to work perfectly

I love mine. I would think the solid mounts would transfer a bit too much vibration for me.
                  I don't imagine it being that bad, like the site says, if your engine is vibrating that much, then it's just not balanced properly.

my friend has the Cusco engine mounts on his WRX and I barely noticed an increase in vibration in-car.

Comment

what is the height of a stock motor mount btw? abit off topic, but just curious
                    1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
                    1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

yeah solids are nice, and not that bad vibration wise, however, when you start noticing nuts and bolts missing from your shit cause they came loose and fell off

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                      good thing....

Comment

It has little to do with engine balance, that statement is simply full of ignorance.

I would challenge anyone to try solid mounts for a week and then try poly mounts for a week. I have. There's a reason all the aftermarket ones are poly or at the very least high durometer rubber.

Comment

what is that difference jason? I run solid because its cheap easy and it transfers power faster(not like the power just dissapears with rubber but...) Are you talking about vibration? whats on your mind?
                          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Vibration is one side effect that most people notice, but the real issue is actually the harmonics. Stacked metals with nothing between them have almost no damping characteristics when it comes to harmonic resonances. They pass right through. Harmonic resonance breaks stuff; I've seen a 2" thick solid steel bar that was shattered using harmonics alone. This is part of the reason for harmonic balancers, but not the exact reason many tend to dislike solid engine mounts. The short is that all engines put off many harmonics, and
                            -at speed the vehicle will "want" to allow engine and exhaust frequencies resonate in the cabin because of subtle vibrations not damped out.
                            -some of those will cause material fatigue over time... for the entire car.
                            -nuts and bolts will tend to want to loosen, especially if not threadlocked in place.
                            -higher shock loading on driveline parts from zero deflection of the powertrain

These are just a general consensus gathered from reading information in other performance communities. Obviously it looks like I'm just sticking up for my product, but I truly believe that even low levels of damping is crucial for component life in many situations.

Comment

I am contemplating buying your poly mounts, currently have a stock rubber passenger mount and welded solid mount on the drivers side. It vibrates a little too much for me, not bad but i like comfort. Will your polys absorbe vibration almost as well as stock Jason? But....I want to make a new mount similar to what you did so i can run a straight 4" pipe to the inlet of the turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X