Oil catchcan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil catchcan

Does any one have a oilcatch can on there n/a ?

If so what kind ?

oil catch can is a very simple device. My buddy used an air/water seperater for a compressor on his 04' GTO and it works great. its clear so you can see when you have to empty it.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Yeah i was thinking about picking one up for cheep that doesnt look to bad on ebay.

Comment

Most of the ebay ones (as I found) have no sort of baffles or collector in them. They allow the gasses to pass straight through from one port to the other... "unseparated" if you will and effectively do nothing.

For them to work well as an oil-air seperator you need two things: cooler temperatures and filter of sorts to act as a condensation medium. Locate it in the coolest place in your engine bay within reason for the 1/2" hoses you need to run. Pack the insides with steel wool or copper pot scrubbing pads. This is information I got from some supra forums, and I've now seen the difference first hand.

Comment

yes but don't use the SOS pads with the very fine wire and soap crystals

you need the kind which are just a bunch of coils looped into balls, I'd say stainless is the best

Comment

Do not buy this:
            http://tinyurl.com/h8b2l
            Not as advertized.

Comment

1artworkz wrote: Do not buy this:
              http://tinyurl.com/h8b2l
              Not as advertized.
              Ahaha how can it increase hp ?

Have you bought that one?

Comment

TheIndigo88 wrote: Ahaha how can it increase hp ?

Have you bought that one?
                Power? Oh yeah, at least 550 pound-foot/second.

Yes, I bought one.

When I removed the plenum and discovered the gobs
                of goo, I thought to myself, "Maybe an oil trap would prevent that build up".

When I got it, it was not the rectangular polished one shown on Ebay but an
                anodized blue cylindrical one with no internal filter. I returned it and am
                still waiting for my refund.

Comment

you of all people I'd expect to make your own

I will one day, cast al or mag hobby box, insert a couple barb fittings to whatever side ends up being "top" and fill with ss scrubbing mesh, should cost like $18

Comment

G-E wrote: you of all people I'd expect to make your own

I will one day, cast al or mag hobby box, insert a couple barb fittings to whatever side ends up being "top" and fill with ss scrubbing mesh, should cost like $18
                    Ha, well I did. I had an old compressed air line oil trap that I polished up.
                    I looked REAL nice but since this one was designed for the purpose and
                    was so cheap ... hey, why not.

I just checked the shop to see if I could pull it form the box and shoot a picture for you
                    but it is buried under a bunch of other parts boxes ... not worth the effort
                    after 4 beers ... worked all day and I'm tired.

Comment

Hey guys, I hate to bump this thread up again, but I was wondering (and I did search this)

some people just use K&N filters on both valve covers. How does that flow are through the crankcase ? I know it would relieve pressure, but isnt the crankcase supposed to have positve vacuum running through it?
                      I was debating running two filters instead of the one and the hose going to the plenum.
                      Good idea or bad idea? I will just end up doing it the right way and using the catch can I have. I have this funny feeling that if I used two filters something would get screwed up.
                      Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Comment

Working...
                      X