Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo, Intercooler, and Piping recommendations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo, Intercooler, and Piping recommendations...

Ok, I'm starting to draw plans and create a budget for my restore project.

This is my drivetrain goal: A reliable (100k miles reliable), streetable, can drive in 90 degree weather on pump gas, 350 wheel horsepower that spools quickly and is attainable with equal to or less than 10 lbs of boost.

This is my plan: I want to keep a T3 sized housings and keep the stock elbow + internal wastegate for my turbo as i already have the CM turbo back setup. I really like the GT3 series ball bearing turbos from garrett but I've never done any custom work before so this is kind of a new thing for me. I plan on doing a MILD cam regrind, heads port + polish as well as a valvejob. I am going to go with a gutted plenum and I'd like to find a good innercooler as well.

My questions are as follows:
    What turbos would you recommend that are RELIABLE, will spool quickly, and be relatively effecient at 10 lbs boost? Money really isnt the issue and I'm fairly sure that my goals are modest enough to where anything will fit my budget (variable vanes excluded).

What innercooler would you recommend with these goals in mind?
    Funny stories!

oh yes and i almost forgot to mention. I'm planning on keeping the stock shortblock. I currently have an 87 W series with a little over 100k miles on it. It appeared to be in very good shape the last time I had it apart so I'm going to keep the stock pistons, rods, crank, bearings, etc...

I want a high compression (9:1) turbo setup because as I stressed earlier, this is going to be streetable power and I WILL NOT sacrifice my low end and fuel economy in prosuit of high hp numbers. Also since this car when finished will be driving across the country with me, I'd like to be able to cruise on the highway in vacuum and use the boost as a fun factor and keep my gas mileage.
    Funny stories!

Comment

homestar wrote: Ok, I'm starting to draw plans and create a budget for my restore project.

This is my drivetrain goal: A reliable (100k miles reliable), streetable, can drive in 90 degree weather on pump gas, 350 wheel horsepower that spools quickly and is attainable with equal to or less than 10 lbs of boost.

This is my plan: I want to keep a T3 sized housings and keep the stock elbow + internal wastegate for my turbo as i already have the CM turbo back setup. I really like the GT3 series ball bearing turbos from garrett but I've never done any custom work before so this is kind of a new thing for me. I plan on doing a MILD cam regrind, heads port + polish as well as a valvejob. I am going to go with a gutted plenum and I'd like to find a good innercooler as well.

My questions are as follows:
      What turbos would you recommend that are RELIABLE, will spool quickly, and be relatively effecient at 10 lbs boost? Money really isnt the issue and I'm fairly sure that my goals are modest enough to where anything will fit my budget (variable vanes excluded).

What innercooler would you recommend with these goals in mind?
      Go holset HX35W or HY35.
      If you want T3 sized go HX30W or 25. The 25 flows the same as the stock T3 but spools a little earlier.
      I wouldnt waste my money on anything less than HX/HY35 though.
      http://www.vgpowered.com
      Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

I was hoping to stay away from holset because while I like the idea, I'd really like to stick with a ball bearing setup that was intended for gasoline powered engines. Nothing against the holsets, I'll definitely keep them in mind. I was just looking at something more along the lines of this: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... 382_12.htm using the stock turbine housing.
        Funny stories!

Comment

gt35r ftw. don`t forget the fuel system upgrade. pump, injectors, ecu tune, etc. the gt35r will make you happy, however, 350 hp @ 10 psi i don`t think is gonna happen. wish it would! check out my profile http://www.ellisautoworkz.com/cars/kyle.asp this is accurate i think. at 17 psi i was making 360 hp, running balls rich though. i do love the na powa down low and like you, won`t give it up now. i made 400 hp on this set up at 24 psi with methanol. this set up "will" get me into the 11`s, "you`re gonna win....i`m gonna win..."

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
          good thing....

Comment

the fuel system upgrade will be done without a doubt. Like I already said I'm not perticularly willing to go past 10 lbs boost simply because reliability is also a huge factor in this design. I'd be willing to turn it up as high as 15 for the occasional street racing night or fun blast down the highway but for all purposes this engine is going to be designed with 10 lbs in mind.

I'm not trying to make a lot of boost, I'm trying to make good boost and I'm looking for the ideal turbo to do it with. If i spend all of the money and only yield 270 rwhp@10psi, I'll be happy. I just don't want to boost more than 10 psi due to the reliability factor.
            Funny stories!

Comment

isn't reliability a matter of CFM's, not boost?

Wouldn't 15 psi on a smaller turbo be more reliable than 10psi on a bigger one, due to their being more air 'injected'?
              It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

10lbs is kind of an arbitrary number depending greatly on the density of the air going into the engine.

autoworkZ wrote: the gt35r will make you happy, however, 350 hp @ 10 psi i don`t think is gonna happen. wish it would!
                The GT35R compressor is similar specs to the 60-1 I am running, combine that with a more efficient turbine and ballbearing center section (overrated) and you have even more potential. Unfortunately, you won't want to keep the sotck elbow/wg with anything but a standard T3/T4.

My engine produced 361rwhp at 10.5PSI, but that was with big cams, head work, a lot of timing and 12.0 AFR; probably not safe for a 90 degree day.

Comment

Working...
                X