NPR and CXRacing.com Intercooler Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPR and CXRacing.com Intercooler Installation

A good buddy of mine has been working on installing an Isuzu NPR intercooler in his 1986 300ZXT. He had the intercooler piping under control, but needed a hand on the compressor inlet piping. So, I put my skills to work once again and fab'd up another pipe that runs under the motor mount.

NOTICE my custom front strut tower brace too!

Now here's the magic. 2.5" straight piping, cut at 10 degrees on each side and welded together to produce an "S" curve that will wind around the bottom of the motor mount.

more pictures on my website

Oh, and here's the intercooler that is going on the 1986 2x2 for the NA to turbo swap. It fits perfectly. I got a REALLY good deal on it through EllisAutoWorkZ, so talk to them if you want one as well.

21x9x2.75, 2.5" inlet/outlet

Now, it's time to drink that beer!

Peace!
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

hey thanks for posting that, because i have the exact same intercooler and plan on the install soon as i get everything else done. looks awesome. might have to see if you'd fab up one of those pipes for me(ill pay of course) at some point.
    1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
    1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

brian, the clamps, imo, look too big on ethan`s car. got alot of thread sticking out. i perfer a clamp size that tighens up about 1/2 up the thread. $0.02

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
      good thing....

Comment

will it be easier to utilize the stock S-pipe? I mean just cut the stock s-pipe at where it angles and then weld together. Just curious.
        Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

Very cool. That's an easy way to do it even a muffler shop guy could accomplish if you didn't want to do it yourself. You could probably sell those on ebay if you dyno'd a HP difference. He needs some poly mounts in that thing
          /shameless plug

Comment

simply86T wrote: will it be easier to utilize the stock S-pipe? I mean just cut the stock s-pipe at where it angles and then weld together. Just curious.
            NO . . . JUST . . . NO!

It is generally considered restrictive.

It does a piss poor job of sealing to the compressor inlet.
            For example, this past labor day weekend, we had a z31 turbo attempt to forge a small pond in the middle of the road with the water level just high enough to reach the compressor inlet. Due the fact that the s-pipe was not sealed completely, the engine sucked in enough water to hydrolock the engine in all 6 cylinders. For this sake, it would be much safer to have a silicon coupler clamped tightly to the compressor inlet and inlet pipe in order to keep water reaching a foot high from being sucked into the engine.
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            2000 Porsche Boxster
            2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Working...
            X