Ran a boost leak test on my ss, interesting finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran a boost leak test on my ss, interesting finds

Well, the problems of loosing all of my boost still exist...the wastegate is FUBAR. Anyhow, my friends and I conducted the test and suprising this old car holds boost damn well.

We found over 10 leaks, probably closer to 20. Most probs were from older vacuum lines that had formed to the nipples. The hoses would simply pop off when under boost and slide back on when the boost settled. 6psi seemed to be the major number where things went crazy. By far the worst leaks came from EMISSIONS! That little vacuum canister up front flaps like a an awning in a hurricane (cool noise though). Other emission parts leaked bad as well, including the gasketed piece near the intake.

After zip tying some tubes the car pulled a solid 25psi vaccum according to my gauge. Before the fixing it pulled 22-23. Emission will be going away shortly as well. BTW, we went up to 28psi for the test. Damn good job for an old car, these vg30's are impressive.
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

What kind of gauge do you have that reads vacuum in psi?
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

OK85ZX wrote: What kind of gauge do you have that reads vacuum in psi?
      the gauge was part of a special kit that my friends had ordered. I'll ask him and see what it was.
      2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

you can't have 25psi of vacuum because our atmosphere is only 14.7 .... so a perfect vacuum would be -14.7psi

what you wre seeing is mercury... reboot your brain

Comment

lol... exactly what I was getting at...
          1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

Reguardless, that is some interesting findings. Never thought of a hose possibly blowing off then setting back on. Makes me want to go out and check the AE for stupid stuff like that.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
            good thing....

Comment

autoworkZ wrote: Reguardless, that is some interesting findings. Never thought of a hose possibly blowing off then setting back on. Makes me want to go out and check the AE for stupid stuff like that.
              I'll never forget the time I was working on something near the turbo that requred me to remove the charge pipe and forgot to clamp it down good before test driving... boost, pop, die
              Funny stories!

Comment

Sig....emissions....we don't need no stinkin emissions!

You should consider an emissions delete when you have Ellis AutoworkZ install that turbo after Zfest.

Comment

Hey Sig, have you thought about just swapping the wastegate for a good one?
                  Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                  tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                  545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Working...
                  X