let's talk radiators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let's talk radiators

i just want to know what everyone is useing as far as aftermarket radiators go. i now have a scirocco style griffen that doesn't cool for shit on the highway . i can't cruise 75 mph without the car heating up . plus within the past few weeks i've developed a leak somewhere in the core and need to replace it.

boost. does a body good!

Best thing might be a custom aluminum radiator with the same dimensions and hose orientation as the stock radiator but with a thicker 3 row core
    Shiro #443

Comment

two pass or scirocco style.. sorry make that copper as well....

aluminum is less efficient at cooling

Comment

i was thinking about something like this . it's much larger than my scirocco rad and i can still keep my intercooler pipes the way they are. i would have to mount it straight up and down between the engine and the hood lock support beam.

http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/a ... uctID=7105

boost. does a body good!

Comment

tread jack

tommorow im undertaking the job of vertically mounting the stock radiator. lets hope im not too rusty at welding(brackets)
          1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
          1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

what nobody else has an aftermarket radiator?

boost. does a body good!

Comment

Mark86T has an aftermarket unit in the stock location, I'm surprised he has not posted it up yet.

Comment

Rick88ss wrote: Best thing might be a custom aluminum radiator with the same dimensions and hose orientation as the stock radiator but with a thicker 3 row core
                I too believe this is the best way to do it, by getting one custom made. It costs a bit more but I dont really like the idea of a vertical mount radiator to be honest. I haven't seen any evidence to support it either way, but wouldn't the radiator be less efficient at cooling mounted vertically vs on an angle? Even more so with an intercooler directly in front of it you'd think, because it's not going to get any direct air at all being mounted vertically. Im just taking a guess there, but I do think that leaving it on an angle is best.

Jason84NA2T wrote:
                Mark86T has an aftermarket unit in the stock location, I'm surprised he has not posted it up yet.
                This I want to see!
                http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

300zxt wrote: I too believe this is the best way to do it, by getting one custom made. It costs a bit more but I dont really like the idea of a vertical mount radiator to be honest. I haven't seen any evidence to support it either way, but wouldn't the radiator be less efficient at cooling mounted vertically vs on an angle? Even more so with an intercooler directly in front of it you'd think, because it's not going to get any direct air at all being mounted vertically. Im just taking a guess there, but I do think that leaving it on an angle is best.
                  it's all about the ducting.... if you force all the air to go through the core then any angle is fine, so what you'd need is sheet metal on all sides directing the air into the core and possibly even add a shroud or hood vent on the back side to reduce any pressure that might hinder airflow

Comment

G-E wrote: two pass or scirocco style.. sorry make that copper as well....

aluminum is less efficient at cooling
                    Aluminum is less efficient at cooling than copper, but most "copper" radiators have brass tubes and copper fins. Brass is less efficient at transfering heat than aluminum. Not sure which works better, but most z's with good radiators seem to cool fine.
                    Chuck Stong
                    300+ Parts and Performance owner
                    http://www.300-plus.com
                    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

[quote]G-E wrote:
                      Originally posted by 300zxt
                      I too believe this is the best way to do it, by getting one custom made. It costs a bit more but I dont really like the idea of a vertical mount radiator to be honest. I haven't seen any evidence to support it either way, but wouldn't the radiator be less efficient at cooling mounted vertically vs on an angle? Even more so with an intercooler directly in front of it you'd think, because it's not going to get any direct air at all being mounted vertically. Im just taking a guess there, but I do think that leaving it on an angle is best.
                      it's all about the ducting.... if you force all the air to go through the core then any angle is fine, so what you'd need is sheet metal on all sides directing the air into the core and possibly even add a shroud or hood vent on the back side to reduce any pressure that might hinder airflow
                      Yeah I get what you mean but ultimately wouldn't it still cool more efficiently being mounted on an angle due to the updraft of air it gets? Most people want a vertically mounted radiator for space to install an intercooler, but I had no trouble installing my FMIC whilst keeping the radiator in the stock position.

It would be interesting to see some comparisons of the cooling ability of an angle mount rad vs vertical mount. I just dont like the idea of the intercooler directly blocking the radiator like that but I guess with some kind of ducting made up it would be improved some. One would assume that Nissan installed it on an angle for a reason...

Comment

[quote]300zxt wrote: [quote=G-E]
                        Originally posted by 300zxt
                        Yeah I get what you mean but ultimately wouldn't it still cool more efficiently being mounted on an angle due to the updraft of air it gets? Most people want a vertically mounted radiator for space to install an intercooler, but I had no trouble installing my FMIC whilst keeping the radiator in the stock position.

It would be interesting to see some comparisons of the cooling ability of an angle mount rad vs vertical mount. I just dont like the idea of the intercooler directly blocking the radiator like that but I guess with some kind of ducting made up it would be improved some. One would assume that Nissan installed it on an angle for a reason...
                        The intercooler blocking the radiator isn't that big of a deal... especially when moving more than 10 mph, it gets pleanty of air to keep it satisfied no matter if it's angled or verticle... the only way to have them both get completely unobstructed airflow is to do a box mount setup like what butter, and many in the drifter crowd have started to do...
                        1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

Would be nice to see some real figures though instead of just speculation. I just think that Nissan designed it that way for a reason. The difference is probably negligible on an intercooled car though...

I still want to see this aftermarket rad Mark86T fit in his Z in the stock location, and what kind etc... Get on it man!

Comment

300zxt wrote: Would be nice to see some real figures though instead of just speculation. I just think that Nissan designed it that way for a reason. The difference is probably negligible on an intercooled car though...

I still want to see this aftermarket rad Mark86T fit in his Z in the stock location, and what kind etc... Get on it man!
                            If they did it for a reason, whey did they go back to a vert. mount on the z32?
                            Chuck Stong
                            300+ Parts and Performance owner
                            http://www.300-plus.com
                            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Um, because that's not a z31? :P Apples and oranges...

Comment

Working...
                              X