Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
    Originally posted by 300zxt
    Would be nice to see some real figures though instead of just speculation. I just think that Nissan designed it that way for a reason. The difference is probably negligible on an intercooled car though...

I still want to see this aftermarket rad Mark86T fit in his Z in the stock location, and what kind etc... Get on it man!
    If they did it for a reason, whey did they go back to a vert. mount on the z32?
    Because they changed many things in the engine bay; intercooler charge pipes, etc make one need to redesign to fit.

The only other issues are:
    1. Is the core big enough to dissipate the heat the engine produces?
    2. Does the core have enough external flow to dissipate that heat into the air (even when the ambient air temp is very high)?

Comment

300zxt wrote: Yeah I get what you mean but ultimately wouldn't it still cool more efficiently being mounted on an angle due to the updraft of air it gets? Most people want a vertically mounted radiator for space to install an intercooler, but I had no trouble installing my FMIC whilst keeping the radiator in the stock position.

It would be interesting to see some comparisons of the cooling ability of an angle mount rad vs vertical mount. I just dont like the idea of the intercooler directly blocking the radiator like that but I guess with some kind of ducting made up it would be improved some. One would assume that Nissan installed it on an angle for a reason...
      you really think too hard.... the ideal unassisted radiator position is where the fins are perpendicular to airflow, in the case of the normal radiator that pretty much means vertical.... but anytime you add a fan to the leeward side you can almost do away with any fancy fluid modelling and assume the fans will pull the air through it, some race cars will have the radiator at the floor, some in the trunk, some nestled into a body panel on the side

you need air over it, you don't need to be picky about how you accomplish it, assuming the fans are up to scratch, ducting will be the next cheap upgrade

Comment

[quote]G-E wrote:
        Originally posted by 300zxt
        Yeah I get what you mean but ultimately wouldn't it still cool more efficiently being mounted on an angle due to the updraft of air it gets? Most people want a vertically mounted radiator for space to install an intercooler, but I had no trouble installing my FMIC whilst keeping the radiator in the stock position.

It would be interesting to see some comparisons of the cooling ability of an angle mount rad vs vertical mount. I just dont like the idea of the intercooler directly blocking the radiator like that but I guess with some kind of ducting made up it would be improved some. One would assume that Nissan installed it on an angle for a reason...
        you really think too hard.... the ideal unassisted radiator position is where the fins are perpendicular to airflow, in the case of the normal radiator that pretty much means vertical.... but anytime you add a fan to the leeward side you can almost do away with any fancy fluid modelling and assume the fans will pull the air through it, some race cars will have the radiator at the floor, some in the trunk, some nestled into a body panel on the side

you need air over it, you don't need to be picky about how you accomplish it, assuming the fans are up to scratch, ducting will be the next cheap upgrade
        Good point. Same can be said with the offroad trucks having their radiators in the bed of the truck.
        Attached Files
        Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
        1986 300zx Turbo
        2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
        1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

RADS

FYI
          Well living in Windsor ON, Canada finding parts is next to impossible!
          My Rad went in my 87t and to get a new one or a new one Fabed was ridiculos.
          I did some looking around! Well I looked at my Jeep YJ 4.0 and it has the same capacity as my Z>so them kind of parts I can find!! and is alot smaller {thicker} Fabed it into my Z and it works fine! Don't know about the strip but backroads and highways it is fine I can leave it sit running in a garage in the summer with most of the doors closed and no problems??/
          88na2T-s13,q45 swap 12.6@110mph
          87T 2+2 auto,stock

Comment

being the cheap basfarts we are, we like knowing these things, if other cars can donate their parts, all the better

Comment

Working...
            X