my (stock) vertical radiator progress:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my (stock) vertical radiator progress:

figured I would post pics of my progress from start until I am done. and this is where I am so farand yes, I know my engine bay is dirty as crap)

1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
    1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

picture number 1!!! :lol:

Comment

saweet, can't wait

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

yeah Ill post some more pics tommorow. tired right now. got abit sunburnt from being out working on the z all day. went pretty well though. hood closes well and all that jazz. amazingly i can still( if I wanted) get my electric fan between the radiator and motor. little tight but fits. and it looks to be leaving more than enough room for my intercooler and piping without having to mod anything else.

Comment

another shot:

that was the test fitting and everything after I worked on the brackets and such. man my radiator looks dirty, as does the rest of my car. almost looks like its supposed to be that way doesnt it

Comment

got the radiator mounted vertically and test fitted the intercooler. so now basically the intercooler is in the stock location for the radiator. so with the bumper on, it looks completely stock.sweet. its been a big pain working on the z today. and for some reason mesquito's(sp?) were freakin horrible. now gotta take the 'cooler back out and straighten all the fins back out(someone decided it would be nice to lay something on top of it...) and strip all that dang black paint off of it. and yes its held up by zip ties, but that was just for "mock" up. was so tired at one point that i just ignored the the dry pinestraw under the car and set a small patch on fire while welding.

Comment

That's sure an interesting way to do it. I want to see how you route the piping. Is that the "Big" Isuzu NPR assembly I see there? Those things are good to something like 500+whp.

Comment

Awesome! I'm considering doing this as well. I have my front bumper off, and I need to mount one of the various intercoolers I have.

Jason - that's not the big npr aftercooler. I have one and it's ridiculous. From tip to tip it's about 14x34.
                Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: That's sure an interesting way to do it. I want to see how you route the piping. Is that the "Big" Isuzu NPR assembly I see there? Those things are good to something like 500+whp.
                  yeah it was abit different moving the radiator right there. turned out differently than I expected but works all the same. its very stable and secure. you cant tell from the pics but there is a gap on either side of the radiator which i could easily route piping through.

not sure if its the big intercooler or not but but it measures 16 1/2 inches in width, 24 inches in length and 2 1/2 inches wide.

Comment

Lance wrote: Awesome! I'm considering doing this as well. I have my front bumper off, and I need to mount one of the various intercoolers I have.
                    You dont HAVE to relocate the radiator to install a FMIC... I fit a 24" x 12" x 3" size intercooler in my 86 whilst retaining the stock radiator in the original position, it can be done!
                    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

[quote]300zxt wrote:
                      Originally posted by Lance
                      Awesome! I'm considering doing this as well. I have my front bumper off, and I need to mount one of the various intercoolers I have.
                      You dont HAVE to relocate the radiator to install a FMIC... I fit a 24" x 12" x 3" size intercooler in my 86 whilst retaining the stock radiator in the original position, it can be done!
                      I know it can be done but just made things abit easier for me. ive seen plenty on jasons' site as well as others, just made things abit simpler.

Comment

[quote]300zxt wrote:
                        Originally posted by Lance
                        We'll have to see what creativity I can come up with this weekend. I may have to get the npr core cut down a foot so it will fit better. the 34 inches is just a bit ridiculous...
                        Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                        I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                        Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

i was wondering how efficent that set-up woould be vs the normal slung low intercooler. i've just heard that the Z31s have massive heat soak so wouldnt you want it taking up as much cold air as possible?
                          DD:
                          86 Black Turbo 5spd
                          The Fallen:
                          84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
                          Parting Currently:
                          86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
                          Garage Sale

Comment

300zxt - But didn't you have to cut up your front bumper??

85 NA2T 9:1 Compression, CM 3" exhaust, Complete Interior Restoration
                            94 Maxima
                            ...VG30 FTW!!

Comment

AzureblueZ wrote: 300zxt - But didn't you have to cut up your front bumper??

what the hell happened here? Ive got a the same damn intercooler only 4" thick and it fits just fine not cutting at all. granted I dont have any A/C stuff anymore but I didnt have to cut my bottom lip off like that. you can see it on jasons site.
                              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X