Hose Temp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose Temp.

i had a quick question about the temperature of my upper radiator hose during the heat of the day...typically at night my car runs COOL, but during the heat of the day in the city where there's red lights the temperature seems to warm up (i'm assuming as my actualy temp. gauge on the dash isn't trustworthy). but my question is that i've heard different things about how long you should be able to grip the upper radiator hose, and i was wondering if there's a certain length of time you should be able to hold onto it before letting go to make sure your not running too warm? any help appreciated, thanks.
    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
    Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

No. Thats a poor method of judging engine heat.
    " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
    LaterZ

Comment

why would it be a poor method, if the water that comes through the upper hose was in the block?!?!?!? :?
      1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
      Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

Comment

When driving your car in the heat of the day the upper radiator hose is going to get hot. Judging "too hot" and "not too hot" with your hand on a hose that normally sees high levels of heat is far from a precise method of judgement.
        " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
        LaterZ

Comment

well i'm sure that if the hose was "fucking hot" you'd know the motor's running warm, as compaired to, "eh, that's a little warm" you'd should be able to tell...but i'm not saying that having a temp. gauge isn't a good idea for percise measurements, but just to "monitor" the temp. gripping the upper radiator hose should give you a general idea though.
          1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

what red beauty is trying to say is that , that hose at normal operating temps is going to be pretty hot for our human flesh to be gripping..

normal operating temp is around 175 fahrenheit it think?? correct me if im wrong , but 100 fahrenheit is pretty damm hot to be touching with your hand so you get the idea..

Comment

No it really is a bad way to determine how hot the engine is. Everyone has different interpretations of "frelling hot" or how long they can hold their hand on it.
              http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

the main reason i worry is just because of the temp. gauge on my digital dash sort of "jumps around" and it'll typically stay steady at the normal operating spot, but will start climbing up for a second or two, and then come down, then go back up, and then down, etc. i'm sure you can understand my concern??
                1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

yeah, i understand what your saying, but i wouldnt exactly go grabbing things like that. not sure how acurate or inacurate the temp gauge is. I have a digi dash in my AE but it doesnt jump around as you say yours does. maybe get a reg. temp gauge just to be safe?
                  1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
                  1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

http://www.tempgun.com/main.html

CHECK OUT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU SCOULD YOUR FINGERS OFF :shock:
                    Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Comment

do a cheap check and replace the temp sensor that is on the passenger side of the intake manifold, just a one wire sensor. see if it still jumps around after that.
                      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Also consider the stock guage is non-linear thus making it very inaccurate. If you don't have a real guage installed in the proper spot, it is very hard to determine if a car is getting a "little" hot. When the stock guage goes up, you are already at the high end of what you'd want your engine to experience.
                        Attached Files

Comment

you are already at the high end of what you'd want your engine to experience.
                          you mention that as if i'm boosting 9 PSI through every light...i could be boosting 12 PSI (the motor's "razors edge") and still stay under atmospheric pressure and the car shouldn't warm up a bar to two on the digital dash. maybe it's an improper mixture of antifreeze-to-water... :?
                          1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

12 psi is hardly the motors "razor edge" but more the limit of the stock fuel system and efficiency of the stock turbo...

The stock temp gauge in my experience is very accurate pending all the sensors are up to scratch but if you dont trust it then just get an aftermarket temp gauge. Mickey mouse methods of holding a rubber hose for a certain period of time to determine how hot it is wont work at all! It's like putting your feet in a hot bath to test the water, it mightn't feel hot at all until you sit down and burn your ass off :P
                            http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Morgenstern wrote:
                              you are already at the high end of what you'd want your engine to experience.
                              you mention that as if i'm boosting 9 PSI through every light...i could be boosting 12 PSI (the motor's "razors edge") and still stay under atmospheric pressure and the car shouldn't warm up a bar to two on the digital dash. maybe it's an improper mixture of antifreeze-to-water... :?
                              No I'm saying that like someone that understands the affect of high temperatures on this engine. They are very durable. However, in my experience, once the needle starts to climb you are getting really hot.

I still disagree that the stock guage is anything near accurate. They like to sit in one spot and never show hot or cold of that while my other guage shows the engines fluctations. I've seen 205-210 this summer sitting in a drivethrough (yes I need to resolve that issue) and the stock guage sat perfectly still right where it is when the engine is at 175. Every Nissan I've owned has been that way. And that is enough cars and enough years to make these statements.

Yes I have an accurate guage installed in a location that gives me a pretty good idea of how hot the engine is.
                              Yes I have overheated engines and caused damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X