Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***HELP*** JE piston to cylinder wall clearance

****QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS****

I just got the block from the machine shop and we started putting it together but I have a question.

what's the piston to cylinder wall clearance on TT JE pistons on a 87.5 mm bore.
    does any body know.
    1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Try twinturbo.net

Those guys should know.
    imagination is a virtue

Comment

call JE directly duh

Comment

I would trust only the manufacturer for that information. There are too many aluminum alloys with different rates of expansion...

Also, be sure to find out what grit you want for the hone based on your ring set.

Comment

:x I called JE and got the info I needed THANKS . I had an issue with cylinder one checking everything with a telescoping bore gauge and then measuring with a micrometer to make sure everything was ok I found out I had the ring gap bigger on the top in that cylinder than the rest measuring the first 1/2" down from the ridge I got 3.454 from that 1/2" down I got 3.448 all the way down like the rest of the cylinders the machine shop F#@& up making the bore a bit bigger... there excuse was that they found some rust and scoring and they had to bore a bit more on top and that the ring doen't go that high also the same cylinder has about three little hair lines one on top of the other going across about 1/2" to 3/4" but if you run your finger nails truth it barely catches. JE told me is a bit more than what they like to see in the gap but sense I'm running high boost and nitrous I should be fine, and the machine shop told me it should be fine that the JE pistons and rings need a bit more gap than regular stock pistons and rings. Another option is to sleeve that cylinder.

Comment

here's another lesson, if there's any flaws with the block, just get another, they are plentiful and aren't hurt easily

so suck it up and get another junkyard puppy, machine it good

Comment

You're talking about a difference of 6 thou, which is about what you leave for the hone anyway... I dont think it's a big deal... but as GE said; blocks are cheap and plentiful.

Comment

Thanks for the reply I took your guys advise.

This is the machine shop were rick88ss is been taking his engine from the SS and always had problems now I know this guy doesn't know what he is doing ... I took my block to three different machine shops on Friday and they all toll me the guy at the machine shop must of f@#& up some how, sow I went back and toll him and he started giving me all types of excuses he refuse to measure the cylinder in front of me. Anyway's I found a new block and machine shop and this guys will have it ready by Friday the other guy took 8 weeks
                Now I know the reason rick has sow many problems this guys SUCK they don't check shit.

Comment

mario88ss wrote: Now I know the reason rick has sow many problems this guys SUCK they don't check shit.
                  This is the exact reason I scouted out a shop with an awesome reputation for building powerhouse engines. I've heard a lot of horror stories in the past. It's almost like you have to find references for each engine shop!

Comment

mario88ss wrote: Thanks for the reply I took your guys advise.

This is the machine shop were rick88ss is been taking his engine from the SS and always had problems now I know this guy doesn't know what he is doing ... I took my block to three different machine shops on Friday and they all toll me the guy at the machine shop must of f@#& up some how, sow I went back and toll him and he started giving me all types of excuses he refuse to measure the cylinder in front of me. Anyway's I found a new block and machine shop and this guys will have it ready by Friday the other guy took 8 weeks
                    Now I know the reason rick has sow many problems this guys SUCK they don't check shit.
                    aww crap , i was going to have those guys balance my flywheel/clutch.
                    the shop i work at has had alot of issues with bird road machine shop , beware! .things like not shimming the valves right and having valve clearances all fucked up. if you find a better shop around miami please let me know.

Comment

[quote]2+2turbo wrote:
                      Originally posted by mario88ss
                      Thanks for the reply I took your guys advise.

aww crap , i was going to have those guys balance my flywheel/clutch.
                      the shop i work at has had alot of issues with bird road machine shop , beware! .things like not shimming the valves right and having valve clearances all fucked up. if you find a better shop around miami please let me know.
                      Miami? Rumor has it that most of the shops in Miami have there shit together. things like 10 second z31's and 3 rotor fd's everywhere you look! Hmm maybe its just hype. or maybe I've been watching 2much 2fast 2furious again!
                      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

ALWAYS find the old guy. They're the ones that know what they're doing.. and actually take pride in their work. Usually, they're the ones that'll cut you a deal, AND it's done right the first time.
                        vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                        2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Working...
                        X