X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Careless
    replied
    cjr198car wrote: Can you use a 3.3 camshaft with 3.0 camshaft sprocket?

Im asking this question since I have a spare 3.3 engine and I would like to regrind the 3.3 cams and put them into my 3.0. Would it be counterproductive regrinding the 3.3 cams or does the original duration and lift not play into the outcome of regrinded camshaft?

Thanks for the responses!

-Colton
    Yes, people turn them in for cores. you can buy the cams you want, send your cams back as cores.

Leave a comment:

• cjr198car
    replied
    No biggie. Can anyone shed some light on my question with regards to camshaft regrinds?

Leave a comment:

• Texas_Ace
    replied
    cjr198car wrote: Thats my question. Is there any disadvantages of regrinding a 3.3 camshaft? Are you implying that starting with lets say a vg30et camshaft will result in more lift or duration potential? Im building an NA engine with moderate nitrous use. If you can regrind the 3.3 camshafts to the same regrind offerings as the 3.0 camshafts then I would prefer to use the 3.3 cams since I have them out of the engine and I can send them to Isky whenever I want. I can also keep my car on the road this summer instead of dismantling my current engine and waiting for the regrinds to show up.

-Colton
    Frankly, i have never had cam's reground and am not totally up on what is possible with it so i am not the best one to ask.

Leave a comment:

• cjr198car
    replied
    Thats my question. Is there any disadvantages of regrinding a 3.3 camshaft? Are you implying that starting with lets say a vg30et camshaft will result in more lift or duration potential? Im building an NA engine with moderate nitrous use. If you can regrind the 3.3 camshafts to the same regrind offerings as the 3.0 camshafts then I would prefer to use the 3.3 cams since I have them out of the engine and I can send them to Isky whenever I want. I can also keep my car on the road this summer instead of dismantling my current engine and waiting for the regrinds to show up.

-Colton

Leave a comment:

• gardner86zx
    replied
    you can get the round tooth crank gear for the vg30 crank.
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19915

Leave a comment:

• Texas_Ace
    replied
    Yes, you can use the either camshaft hears with either camshaft.

The gears have to match the crank you are using.

As for regrinding them, why start with 3.3 cams? unless you are building an NA motor?

Leave a comment:

• cjr198car
    replied
    Can you use a 3.3 camshaft with 3.0 camshaft sprocket?

Im asking this question since I have a spare 3.3 engine and I would like to regrind the 3.3 cams and put them into my 3.0. Would it be counterproductive regrinding the 3.3 cams or does the original duration and lift not play into the outcome of regrinded camshaft?

Thanks for the responses!

-Colton

Leave a comment:

• Rick88ss
    replied
    I bought a set of BRC pistons for my VG33 about 3 years ago. They're 8.0:1 compression and the wrist pin fits TT Eagle rods. I think they were one size oversize.
    If you need any info PM me.

Leave a comment:

• 260DET
    replied
    I'd appreciate any info that would help in ordering new pistons, going for a mild overbore now. No hurry.

Leave a comment:

• Careless
    replied
    zmainiac wrote: I sent a piston to weiseco to have forged pistons made for my 3.3l pathy motor. I can dig up the info if you need it. I ended up shelling out 900 though.
    They should be closer to 760 now. Unless aluminum prices went up a whole lot. I purchased pistons from someone who purchased them for 725 for two sets of RB30DET pistons.

Leave a comment:

• zmainiac
    replied
    I sent a piston to weiseco to have forged pistons made for my 3.3l pathy motor. I can dig up the info if you need it. I ended up shelling out 900 though.

Leave a comment:

• 260DET
    replied
    ZFast88Z wrote: Wait, what? You want to use VG30DETT parts on a VG33? Thats not going to happen. LOLI'd prefer a forged crank to a cast one eg

If the block we used is an accurate representation of all VG33 blocks, 99MM is do-able for bore size. If your building a drag race engine, and fill the block with something like hardblok you could make serious horsepower out of the 99mm bore. If you want a street engine, I would recommend not going past 98mm.

Any piston manufacturer can do pistons for the VG as long as you have all the proper specifications they need.
    But do they all need a sample piston to work out the valve cutouts etc? I think it was Careless who suggested BRC already had that sort of knowledge.

Custom headgaskets have to be made to accommodate the larger firing ring necessary for the large overbore. We are using an MLS headgasket that was custom made for this application.
    Do you sell such gaskets?

Leave a comment:

• ZFast88Z
    replied
    Wait, what? You want to use VG30DETT parts on a VG33? Thats not going to happen. LOL

If the block we used is an accurate representation of all VG33 blocks, 99MM is do-able for bore size. If your building a drag race engine, and fill the block with something like hardblok you could make serious horsepower out of the 99mm bore. If you want a street engine, I would recommend not going past 98mm.

Any piston manufacturer can do pistons for the VG as long as you have all the proper specifications they need.

Custom headgaskets have to be made to accommodate the larger firing ring necessary for the large overbore. We are using an MLS headgasket that was custom made for this application.

Leave a comment:

• 260DET
    replied
    Seeing this informative thread already exists I'll see if it revives although my interest is in swapping VG30DE/TT parts into a VG33 to build a bullet proof circuit turbo motor. Not a dyno queen, 450 WHP will do, but with a very strong performance from 3500 RPM up.

First thing, the block and how far it can be safely and conservatively bored out to. So I'm thinking maybe out to 3.4, 3.5 max? Will get the block checked to see how thick the cylinder wall are but thick walls add to the rigidity of the block, I don't want to compramise that too much.

So, who is a good source for forged pistons and who knows VG's and can do a set of pistons with the basic info of bore size and compression ratio required? Head gaskets, will OE ones be OK? They are for VG30DETT's but here there is an overbore to take into account. I'm concerned about the extra exposure the inside ring of the gasket will get with a significant overbore.

That will do for the moment, see how we go with the above.

Leave a comment:

• Careless
    replied
    More info.

Not sure if the VG33 Pathfinder oil pumps are the same oil-pump drive diameter as the Quests 32mm crank snout, or whether it will work on any VG33, but the area where the passenger side alterntaor bracket would mount on the VG30 is the same as the pathfinder oil pump. it sticks passed the pan rail.

The quest vg33 does not stick passed the pan rail, and has to be shimmed up. Not sure how to do that at this point but I'll figure something out. Perhaps just a spacer dowel that I can easily drill into the oil pump hole to slide this dowel in, and then put some washers behind it. not sure if it will be strong enough to torque an alternator bracket to.

I'll come up with something.

Raff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X