somthing to look into when gapping your rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• somthing to look into when gapping your rings

typically common practice is to make your top ring gap smaller than the bottom. This is usually what the old school small/big block guys do.

I made the gap on my top ring larger than the bottom ring. I use J.E. pistons but I found this "suggestion" in an Arias article. the idea behind this is to keep the bottom ring seated durring combustion instead of the top ring holding all of the pressure and the bottom ring seeing little compared to the top.

what do YOU think? yes you!
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

That makes a lot of sence to me.
    Good stuff to think about.
    Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
    1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
    2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Makes alot of sense, especially in seeing how the top ring see more heat and would technically expand more right?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

if the bottom ring is seeing less pressure than the top then it is possible for the bottom ring to actually float while the piston is coming down on the combustion stoke leaving the top ring to hold damn near ALL of the pressure.

and yes the top ring does see more of the heat as well. therefor I would also think the top ring would expand more.

Comment

That does make sense.
          Seems like it allows both rings to "share" the load.
          imagination is a virtue

Comment

it makes sense , but i feel that for most of us with low powered z's will never have a need for something like this . you satan with your 700+ hp car yes , me with stock block no... :lol:

Comment

Oh have no fear, my car isnt pushing 7-800 hp yet, due to the fact that I cant get my fricken laptop to talk to my TECII right now. I cant even tell the 860cc injectors when to open so the damn car wont even start till I get the laptop issue figured out. ops:
              Attached Files

Comment

Gahhhhh, Fricken technology... I am going to caurberated

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Gahhhhh, Fricken technology... I am going to caurberated
                  AHHHH NOOOO!!!! Not a massive fuel leak on top of the engine! that crap is so obsolete its not even funny.

Its not technologies fault that I'm to stupid to get my laptop to work.

Comment

BWAHAHAH

Comment

carbs are fine for engines that came with them, hell for years i swore by them(mostly because i was intemidated by tuning ECU's), but yeah, never on a vg30et.

the suggestion you made does make sense, and when i get back from my "tour of duty" and begin the engine build i will def take that into consideration.
                      1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
                      1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

they did stick carbs on the VGs for trucks didn't they?

I am totally kidding about using one

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: they did stick carbs on the VGs for trucks didn't they?

i figured you were kidding. and im not sure about the trucks, but i said vg30et engine. turbo.
                          1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
                          1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: they did stick carbs on the VGs for trucks didn't they?

TBI is still EFI... still better than a carb.

They did carb the VG30 in some cars (in the middle east is it?)... the "VG30S".

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                              Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
                              they did stick carbs on the VGs for trucks didn't they?

TBI is still EFI... still better than a carb.

They did carb the VG30 in some cars (in the middle east is it?)... the "VG30S".
                              s for SICK!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X