anyone here using a TMIC setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here using a TMIC setup?

I just bought a TMIC yanked from an FC RX7. They can be front mounted however I was thinking of being clever/creative and top mounting and cutting some clever holes in the hood and possibly use an electric fan to help my cause. Anyone here ever do anything like this? how'd it go?
    Funny stories!

I've seen a couple top-mounts before. I would imagine they tend to get heatsoak like most cars with that setup tend to have happen.

You don't want to use that little IC. They don't flow very well at all...

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I've seen a couple top-mounts before. I would imagine they tend to get heatsoak like most cars with that setup tend to have happen.

You don't want to use that little IC. They don't flow very well at all...
      I don't have a high HP goal, I'm looking to build a high compression turbo car and fast boost response is a priority. I never intend to go beyond 10 PSI boost or make more than 300 whp.I chose this innercooler for the exact purpose that it is tiny.

I'm more interested in ideas on how to top mount it.
      Funny stories!

Comment

I top mounted mine....
        It is on jasons website at the bottom

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

link?
          Funny stories!

Comment

yeah dawwwwg :lol:

http://www.redz31.com/turbofaq/intercoolers.html

lets see some pics of the IC you picked up!

Comment

http://www.autoland.us/~jimmy/car/fc/turbofc.jpg
              Funny stories!

Comment

Id admagine just like jason said that TMIC wouldent let you push much horsepower , I love you're top mount MrwassmanNA2T , Im deff going topmount once i do a turbo conversion on my vg maxima.

Comment

Some random intercooler isn't always going to be better than no intercooler at all. keep that in mind and look for a good intercooler, like an MKIV IC.
                  1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

OK85ZX wrote: Some random intercooler isn't always going to be better than no intercooler at all. keep that in mind and look for a good intercooler, like an MKIV IC.
                    I'm aware of that and like i said, I chose that intercooler after shopping around for the reason that it is small and will provide good boost response. Does anyone have any kind of flow data on this innercooler that states that it doesn't flow well or is this just heresay?
                    Funny stories!

Comment

It's too small, that's why it wont flow good. You dont need flow data to determine that...

The TMIC's that came with the RB engine are fairly thick for a TMIC and even they are no good for anything above stock boost.
                      Attached Files
                      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Hey Homestar

Know anyone that has a TII rex for sale like that white one in the pictures. It would be awesome to have a pearl white turbo rex next to my pearl white turbo Z.

Ian
                        ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

OK85ZX wrote: Some random intercooler isn't always going to be better than no intercooler at all. keep that in mind and look for a good intercooler, like an MKIV IC.
                          How could putting the air thru all that surface area Not cool any better than a steel pipe?

Comment

THe flow info is just based on talking to Fc owners and reading online. I don't have data on it, but I know it's one of the first things they upgrade on their engine (which makes just 185-200hp intercooled with stock exhaust and boost). I'm sure it will work for you.

I would somehow mount it about where the AC compressor used to sit, if it could fit there...

Comment

and have some kind of fan blow down to keep the exhaust manifold heat away

Comment

Working...
                              X