exaust question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exaust question!

i recently did a Turbo conversion to my 87NA and i dont have a stock exaust of any kind, so what i did is i bought a 3" 90deg pipe and welded a flange onto it, then i have a 3 foot pipe comming of the 90!

now my question is, would it be safe to drive it like this for a test drive or far enough to get it to the exaust shop?
    my friend says i will burn up the valves if i dont get a longer exaust!
    can anyone elaborate!
    im not too concerned about sound either, it sounds like a semi, when the turbo whines down!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

onefast87 wrote: i recently did a Turbo conversion to my 87NA and i dont have a stock exaust of any kind, so what i did is i bought a 3" 90deg pipe and welded a flange onto it, then i have a 3 foot pipe comming of the 90!

now my question is, would it be safe to drive it like this for a test drive or far enough to get it to the exaust shop?
    my friend says i will burn up the valves if i dont get a longer exaust!
    can anyone elaborate!
    im not too concerned about sound either, it sounds like a semi, when the turbo whines down!
    Yes, you can drive like that! I used to remove all exept 3foot of my exhaust while racing, And My engine is still alive

I think 2foot or so is the shortest exhaust you want..

http://Jocke.z31turbo.com 11.842s car
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfRwqC3jkAk
    If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?

Comment

Your friend knows not. If you don't run manifolds you're probably burn valves... well, maybe. I've seen pathfinder guys run open headers without issue.

I ran an open exhaust elbow from the turbo for a couple weeks after my conversion. Except for a little burnt undercoating everything was completely fine. It sounds badass also.

Comment

the reason valves "burn" is because they are hot while running and if you dont have exhaust manifolds or headers then cold air comes incontact with the valves causing them to "burn" which is not really what they are doing. when you have manifolds on your car. it allows the heat to stay in the manifold and let everything cool down evenly that and you also have a turbo to hold in the heat as well.

dont worry about it.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Your friend is a tard. You have more than enough exhaust. Comming right off the turbo outlet is fine even with no exhaust.

Comment

roastin300 wrote: Your friend is a tard. You have more than enough exhaust. Comming right off the turbo outlet is fine even with no exhaust.
            As long as your undercoating and insulation/carpet do not catch fire :-D

Comment

Working...
            X