• WTB Ferrea valves - valvetrain parts discussion

I am looking for the following parts;
    Ferrea Racing, complete set or comparable
    F1845P - Stock size exhaust valves
    F1844P - Oversized intake valves
    S10039 - Valve springs
    E11017 - Retainers
    SC1012 - Locaters

Complete gasket set for heads, intakes and exhaust.
    New Nissan timing belt, tentioner, seals

e-mail mailto:johnblye@yahoo.com or call cell 914 263-0436 NYC
    What, me worry? It just takes a little time, patience and thought!

I guess it never hurts to try, but I don't think you're going to be able to find those parts for much cheaper than a reseller will be able to get them for. I never see stuff like that for sale secondhand.

I'm trying to figure out why you would oversize on the intake and not exhaust?

Also, those valve springs seem almost exactly right for the VG30ET... but are the retainers and keepers? They are listed for DETT application.

Comment

oversized intake

I have found most of my parts, new, from those that have bought them and changed their plans. I dought that I would want to get them used, but maybe somebody has a car that had an accident and would sell the heads.

Moss, at Ferrea recommended this setup. He said that it is best to get the extra air in and that the engine will exhaust with no decrease of flow rate. Also said this is the latest in thinking by engine tuners. I also spoke with NY Engine and they agreed. I'm not sure if they are too focused on US big blocks, what is your opinion? I'd be interested to hear from others with more knowledge of our engines.

I'm going with a cam 262/262 208/208 .420/.420, I drive in NYC
      Rebuilding the heads completly, porting, pollishing, milling, 5 angle valve job, the works. I have a set of Russ cam gears and thinking of advancing 3 degrees

Comment

this would be news to me. I think Moss might have been smoking something. These SOHC heads have a very lopsided exhaust to intake ratio as it is. For drag or street/strip, most would recommend 80-82 % airflow intake to exhaust. As these heads come in stock form, they flow in the 60's at the upper usable valve lifts. Even with porting it is very difficult to make that up. For my money I would flip that order toward the exhaust side.

Comment

Since it is Sat. & Ferrea won't be open till Mon. AM EST, I'll goive him a call and a) find out what he thinks of the flow rate and b) find out what he is smoken and see if it can be added to an order.

I will make a purchase once I determine the best combination.

Jason, this is a classified thread, should we take this conversation to a differant area?

Comment

Sorry bud, I thought this was an open forum and you were looking for opinions. This isn't rocket science, folks have been tweaking these engines for years and years. But if you have found a tuner that can reconfigure these engines to make HP where none of the others could. Then I am all ears, until then I'll stay out of it.

Comment

JK wrote: this would be news to me. I think Moss might have been smoking something. These SOHC heads have a very lopsided exhaust to intake ratio as it is. For drag or street/strip, most would recommend 80-82 % airflow intake to exhaust. As these heads come in stock form, they flow in the 60's at the upper usable valve lifts. Even with porting it is very difficult to make that up. For my money I would flip that order toward the exhaust side.
              i agree , the intake vave is significantly larger in diameter than the exhaust (something like 4-6 millimeters)

also JK i think what johnblye was trying to say was to move this thread to another section so we can have a nice little debate on it in the apropiate section of the forum

Comment

leave the discussion here or not

JK, you did missunderstand my post as 2+2Turbo points out, I directed to Jason, as moderator, the comment to move this so that more people might voice their opinions.

I am only going to do the valve and head work once. I am trying to maximize the HP and I don't want to make a simple mistake when I can preplan correctly what I will do. Not being completly knowledgable, the idea of bringing in more air (larger intake valve) since I am working on an NA sounded reasonable.

JK, please explain your possition you obviosly have a strong opinion on the valve size. Also, if you know any tuners that can shed some more light on this I and everyone are all ears.

Comment

You know, I responded to the post, didn't take into account this was the "for sale " section. What the hell.

First, I am not sure our terminology is the same. I don't know if I would go to a tuner, as I think of them, and ask how to build an engine. The heads are considered the heart of the engine. Many think forced induction gives one a pass on good breathing and head design. This idea probably comes from the fact that you can just bolt on a larger turbo to get the "extra" HP you need. Not as easy with NA's. Good heads will allow you to use a smaller Turbo in reaching you HP goal's. Faster spool up, wider power band, requires less stress on all the rest of the engine parts

Comment

By the way, it probably would be a good idea to move this discussion to the engine mechanical forum. Maybe Jason can shift this thread to that forum in some majical way.

Comment

to move or not to move

I'm out of here to the airport, hope Jason can work his magic. JK thanks for your input, I have more reading to do, will catch up from LA

Comment

You know john, for the money involved and the minimal gain your'e going to see from it....
                        *Your money would be much better spent to convert to turbo with the parts I have. The labor will be about the same but the gains will be similiar and most importantly, much cheaper to get farther after this mod.
                        FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
                        8)
                        Dan
                        I am here to help...

Comment

I've got an extra set of brand new oversized ferrea valves (int and exh.).
                          Make me an offer.
                          Precision Pt-6176
                          Tubular turbo manifold
                          Z32TT Pump
                          450cc DSM injectors
                          MGP intake
                          60mm TB
                          44mm ext. wastegate
                          P&P Heads
                          1mm oversize Ferrea valves
                          Shneider cams
                          3"in/out FMIC
                          TurboXS RFL BOV
                          3" turbo back
                          Adj. cam gears
                          E-Fan
                          Iridium Plugs & Wires
                          Romulator
                          Lm-1 Wideband

Not quite together yet...but progressing

Comment

Si valves has them for $12 a valve .5mm oversize
                            KILL HADJI

Comment

Alex86na2t wrote: Si valves has them for $12 a valve .5mm oversize
                              what is this SI valves you speak of?? linky?? most of the valves sets ive seen go for 200-250$ do they have stock size too??

Comment

Working...
                              X