Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to do a quick test for oil pressure sender????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do a quick test for oil pressure sender????????

Normally I would just look in my shop manual but my buddy has it and I wont see him till monday.

I know with the water temp guage you can just ground the wire and the temp on the dash will slowly climb to the top. Is there any kind of test similar to this for the stock oil pressure guage.

right now mine has NO bars showing at all and my oil light is on, even though the oil supply line for the turbo has plenty of oil.

edit: digital dash
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

try a different guage just in case, but a mechanical one is the only sure way

Comment

If its any help, I've had several of these go out and never a mechanical guage go out. The sending units are just prone to failure. Too bad they're about $50 bucks a pop at Napa.
      Originally posted by Andrew84zx
      tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

the oil pressure senders are only like 15 bucks at the zone. I've blown 2 of them on my analog dash cars before.
        Funny stories!

Comment

Is that what happens when you blow them though? It just shows no bar at all and the oil light is on?

Its $15 for an OEM equivilent or for aftermarket guages that you guys are running? meaning would I have to modify it to fit my stock clip or, modify my stock clip?

Comment

$15 for an aftermarket OEM equiv. When you blow they'll typically be slow to show oil pressure or report low oil pressure when there's plenty of OP. Then they'll stop showing oil pressure all together, finally they'll start to become an oil leak.
            Funny stories!

Comment

Hmm. 15 bucks, Im gonna have to try that. Now when you say stop showing oil pressure do you mean that the bar is gone or just sitting at the bottom of the guage?

Cause mine is gone(no bar at all) and the oil light is on, but plenty of oil.

Comment

Dude, Verify that Frelling thing is dead.
                *Remove the sending unit.
                *Take 40-50psi of air from a compressor and apply pressure to the tip of the sending unit with a rubber tipped blow gun.
                *Look at dash gauge with the key on and see if it moves.

^^Oil pressure is nothing to fool around with!
                I am here to help...

Comment

Dan-TSS wrote: Dude, Verify that Frelling thing is dead.
                  *Remove the sending unit.
                  *Take 40-50psi of air from a compressor and apply pressure to the tip of the sending unit with a rubber tipped blow gun.
                  *Look at dash gauge with the key on and see if it moves.

^^Oil pressure is nothing to fool around with!
                  Ok I dont have a compressor where the car is so. if it works off of pressure like that then there must be a way to send more voltage or somthing like that to simulate the rise in pressure. its just a 0-5 volt sensor isnt it? thats why I was wondering if there is a simple test to do (other than a compressor which I dont have).

When I had the block at the machine shop last time I got it back and I had forgotten to take the sensor out well it got smacked or somthing and the plastic part of the sensor broke (maybe more than that) I know oil pressure is nothing to screw around with which is why I want to get it working because I just got my car to start with the standalone and now I cant tune it because I dont know if I have oil pressure. I should cause the turbo sees lots of oil but I'd rather not chance it.

Also, Is the thread 1/8" NPT? I suppose I could stop being lazy and just pull the damn thing out and find out all the info I need when my daughter goes home instead of bugging people on the I-net. :roll:

Comment

Ok nevermind, I went to pepboys and they wanted $44 for the sender. They had an aftermarket guage with the sender for $30 so I went that route. :roll:

Comment

SATAN wrote: Also, Is the thread 1/8" NPT? I suppose I could stop being lazy and just pull the damn thing out and find out all the info I need when my daughter goes home instead of bugging people on the I-net. :roll:
                      It's actually 1/8" BSPT

http://moredhel.net/3z/accessories.html

Comment

SATAN wrote: Ok nevermind, I went to pepboys and they wanted $44 for the sender. They had an aftermarket guage with the sender for $30 so I went that route. :roll:
                        Yup. I don't know what Homestar was talking about but the sending units themselves are ~$50 depending slightly on which parts store you pick them up at.
                        Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                        tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                        545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

my gauge may not work that great, but it is very precise on when there is actually pressure. (the light turns off right when the morning lifter tick goes away)

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Ok, wow! what a fricken clusterfuck. the sender that came with the guage I bought is 1/8"npt. I went and got the sender from autozone($6 for digi $44 for anolog? :shock: ) with the right thread but its got only one post for an electrical conector, not a clip with two electrical prongs. Now, on the wiring harness there is a single wire that has a connector that fits the new sender perfect but its too short to reach the oil sender hole. what the hell is that single wire for? Its not cliped on to anything now, nor has it been.

I unplug the conector from the old sender and my gauge comes on normal, single bar all the way at 0psi with no oil pressure warning light on. As soon as I plug it back in, exact opposite, warning light comes on and no bar is visible. WTF? Oh and yes the old sensor is leaking oil now so I'm sure its no good but... would the lack of a bar and the oil light be on because of that? Does that happen to anyone else with a digi dash?

Maybe I'll just get that sender from Dan-TSS anyways. Dan is the one that you have for a digi dash or are they the same? I wouldnt think so but I dont know for sure.

Comment

I probably shouldn'y laugh, but this is just the way life works....
                              *I was made an offer for the two I have and they are now claimed "sold".
                              Sorry.
                              I knew this was going to happen.
                              :?
                              I am here to help...

Comment

Working...
                              X