External Wastegate placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Wastegate placement

I looked at the external wastegates page; pretty interesting. Is anyone here running a gate on the EGR hole? This would be most convenient for me. What's everyones thoughts on that positions ability to control boost? Good or bad idea? I notice many put their gate on the crossover pipe, and I don't see the EGR hole as much a difference with the direction that the exhaust flows.
    Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
    I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
    Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

The EGR hole works great. Just make sure you bore it out to the proper size for the WG you are going to be using; keep the transition smooth from the WG and EGR hole.

It controls boost perfect, no spiking or falling off (I was using an older profec B boost controller).

Doing it that way only vents the passenger side bank of exhaust, but it still works just fine. If you wanted it done "properly" where it would vent both banks equally, you would need to put the WG where the turbo flange is on the drivers side manifold. This is where both sides of the exhaust meet (the z31 exhaust manifolds are chambered for each side until they meet here). Rick88ss has his WG positioned here.

Comment

Ahh, Just do it!
      *This is my version of overkill.
      Turbonetics NewGen wastegate. Has a full 2" inconel swing valve, rated for 1000hp of boost control.
      8)
      I am here to help...

Comment

I ran my Tial 38mm off of the EGR Hole and had absoultly no probelms controlling 21PSI from my previous T04R.
        But the ideal place to place a wastegate is one where it draws equally from all Cylinders.
        2005 whore magnet

Comment

SteveZ31 wrote: I ran my Tial 38mm off of the EGR Hole and had absoultly no probelms controlling 21PSI from my previous T04R.
          But the ideal place to place a wastegate is one where it draws equally from all Cylinders.
          AND... at the most shallow angle in the direction of exhaust flow possible.
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
            Originally posted by SteveZ31
            I ran my Tial 38mm off of the EGR Hole and had absoultly no probelms controlling 21PSI from my previous T04R.
            Yes, that is appropiate.
            However, when you think like me....Size does matter and can counter that angle issue to some degree.(oh...sarcasm!)
            :lol:
            I am here to help...

Comment

[quote]Dan-TSS wrote: [quote=SATAN]
              Originally posted by SteveZ31
              Yes, that is appropiate.
              However, when you think like me....Size does matter and can counter that angle issue to some degree.(oh...sarcasm!)
              :lol:
              I suppose if you are big enough you can get at any angle! lol
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Working...
              X