I just joined the Holset Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just joined the Holset Club

I finally got a holset turbo! I've waited a long long time for this opportunity to come around.
    Everyday I've been searching ebay for HX35's or Hy35's....
    This morning someone listed an HX35W for $150o.b.o....has a little bit of end play.
    I emailed them immediately to make sure the turbo was complete as pictured.
    1hr later I get a response...everything is good, and I submit an offer.

$145 later its all mine!!!

I cant believe it. In this condition they are going for $270 easy.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:
    Ebay rocks!
    I cant wait until I get it to post some pics.
    http://www.vgpowered.com
    Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

i got mine for 30 more dollars about 6-8 months ago , mine had "slight play" according to the seller which practically meant that the turbo was fucked and needs to be rebuilt ! :x , i hate that guy . well anyway i try to look on the upside of things and im going to see if its possible to fit a slightly bigger turbine wheel in the hy housing or something. atleast when im done with it im going to have a turbo with some sort of warranty and still cost me less than getting a new garret... hopefully :lol:

Comment

2+2turbo wrote: i got mine for 30 more dollars about 6-8 months ago , mine had "slight play" according to the seller which practically meant that the turbo was fucked and needs to be rebuilt ! :x , i hate that guy . well anyway i try to look on the upside of things and im going to see if its possible to fit a slightly bigger turbine wheel in the hy housing or something. atleast when im done with it im going to have a turbo with some sort of warranty and still cost me less than getting a new garret... hopefully :lol:
      I've been planning on doing a rebuild from the get-go. I've always expected these ebay turbos (unless new or just rebuilt) to either leak, or have shaft play or not spin or have broken blades/shafts. That is why I am being a cheapskate on getting a "core" unit because that is what these turbos essentially are. Luckily both blades look good from the picture so all I'm going to do is buy the rebuild kit for ~$70 then have everything balanced at a local machine shop and bam I have practically a new turbo for under $300.

Comment

good plan ...

unfortunatley for me , the vanes on the turbine where bent because of those jackasses at the post office ( i got the turbo in two packages , one the turbine housing and the center section and compresor on the other) and the compressor wheel might salvageable , ill have to see with the turbo guy . i plan on either getting a bigger turbine wheel or having a stock one clipped for more top end that my hy is going to lack on . im probably looking at about 4-500$ on the rebuild which i consider a good investment...

good luck with your turbo..

Comment

Ok I got my HX35W

Finally got a chance too look at it at my friend's house (had it delivered to my friend's house since he's home all day...so he could sign for it). All I have to say is HOLY FUCKIN' SHIT IT'S HUGE!!! All we could do is laugh...we laughed all night at it. It's so freakin' huge...I've never really seen anything bigger than a T3 in real life. We put an 84' T3 next to it and holy crap it really puts the T3 to shame. I regret not having my camera with me...I really have to post pictures by this weekend. :lol: It's rediculous....and it will make rediculous power...

Oh and another thing. There is NOTHING wrong with IT!!! The person that sold it to me said "it has slight shaft play". Well we checked it for play and there is NONE..and I mean NONE, and it spins super super smooth. It's solid...and I've pulled and dealt with and sold many turbos...honestly the only other turbo that I've messed with that was in this good of shape was my T25 with ~30Kmiles on it...If anyone remembers I sold (undersold) it for $100 a while back.
          So I'm convinced that the people that sold it to me got screwed by their dealer/mechanic...whom were the ones that probably told them that they needed a new turbo. Anyways...the fact of the matter is I got it for $176 shipped... my 88T motor with under 30Kmiles I bought for $100...sold it's T25 for $100...so I've only invested $176 in this project so far. Incredible.

Comment

I've always said that if you take your time and wait for the right deal, and never be in a hurry to buy or sell, you'll half the cost of your project. This summer I bought a '97 Chrysler cirrus off this guy for $100. It was just sitting in his garage, he had no use for it and just wanted it out. I filled the tires, put plugs in it, put some gas in it, and it fired right up. I drove it around for a few weeks and then sold it on ebay for (here's the good part) $1300!
            Funny stories!

Comment

Ha Ha, that is like what i did with my first Z. Guy just got a BMW, had no use for is crappy old Z, sold it to me for 300 bucks, Drove it, loved it, found a black z with a 5 speed, sold the red one for 1200bucks.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Good score on the HX. I'm anxious to see how it works out on these engines. I have the HY from my 2.3 Mustang I plan to install on my 86 vg30et. The spoolup was a little slow on the 2.3 engine with an auto. I will be sticking with the auto trans for now so I figured the smaller turbine housing will prove to be a good combo and hopefully not too restrictive. I already had the engine running with the stock turbo and MS so it shouldn't take too much too much work since I'm running large injectors. Please let us know how it works out. Norm
                86 Turbo

Comment

I've got got a question. I just now noticed on Turbomustangs that recently someone with the HY35w on his 2.3 Mustang recently ran a 11.4 et at 119mph. His race weight was 3000lbs and he is still running the factory electronics including the vam (air meter) and stock injectors so in otherwords nothing too fancy. I realize he is using a 35 shot to get out of the hole since he has an auto trans and is using some alky injection. My point is that I have known of others from the Turboford group running similar times with the same turbo with manual trans and therefore no spray and that calculates to around 400 rwhp. So the question is, if the HY35w's 9cm turbine housing allows enough exhaust to pass for that much hp on a 2.3 engine, wouldn't it allow similar hp on one of our 3.0 engines as long as the a/f is correct and similar detonation prevention is in place?

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index. ... ic=52199.0
                  86 Turbo

Comment

I've got a question. I just now noticed on Turbomustangs that recently someone with the HY35w on his 2.3 Mustang recently ran a 11.4 et at 119mph. His race weight was 3000lbs and he is still running the factory electronics including the vam (air meter) and stock injectors so in otherwords nothing too fancy. I realize he is using a 35 shot to get out of the hole since he has an auto trans and is using some alky injection. My point is that I have known of others from the Turboford group running similar times with the same turbo with manual trans and therefore no spray and that calculates to around 400 rwhp. So the question is, if the HY35w's 9cm turbine housing allows enough exhaust to pass for that much hp on a 2.3 engine, wouldn't it allow similar hp on one of our 3.0 engines as long as the a/f is correct and similar detonation prevention is in place?

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index. ... ic=52199.0
                    86 Turbo

Comment

yes im sure 400whp is possible , but you will be running lots of boost , maybe 25-27 psi , boost levels that most people around here dont want to experiment with . if stinky could get 330 whp at 16 psi , is dont see why not 400whp would be in the realm of 22+ psi . the turbo can only do so much and after as certain amount of boost ,that turbine a/r is going to become your choke point , this is why the hx is a better candidate for 400+hp setups. if you setup your engine correctly (port-n-polish , cams ,etc.) you can hit the magic 400whp number with a more reasonable amount of boost.

on another note , since my holset hy needs a complete rebuild ( turbine+compresor wheel) im going to see if i can get the turbo guy , to fit a slightly bigger turbine wheel in the housing( by machining the housing), or clip the turbine wheel 10 degrees or some shit for a better high boost situation , i know the compressor flows enough for high boost , and i also know stock dodge cummings boosted to 20 psi stock , but also have to remember the compressio ratios those diesels run at , im thinking they give less load on the turbo at those levels and thats why they can withstand 20psi stock on a cummings.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see what it can do. I ran 25-30 most of the time with this turbo on my Mustang with an ic and alky. I was thinking that the 3.0 engines even unported should flow at least as much as a super ported 2.3 based on their 100 na hp verses the vg30e's 160ish na hp. Seems like the aluminum heads should cool a little better and prevent detonation as well. My only downfall may be the auto trans but maybe I need to see about a higher stall converter. Norm
                        86 Turbo

Comment

Yes, you should be able to make as much horsepower, though probably at less boost than he was running.

Comment

Long time overdue

Well the other day I pulled my old HX35W out of the box and put it next to a stock T3 to snap some pictures. Boy this is long overdue. It's been 6 months....jeeze time flys. I've been so busy with the baby, school, commuting, and now I'm rebuilding my NA on the side (with lots of help). I just need to keep on chuggin' until winter '08 and then I'm done with school. I'll get a job and then I'll have my weekends back. Thats when my turbo project will kick off. Right now I'm just collecting parts, using my time to find good deals and learn as much as possible...anyways now I'm just rambling. On to the pics.

Comment

yea, theres definately a difference

Comment

Working...
                              X