cam bearing wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam bearing wear

I ripped apart my engine recently and just got around to measuring things. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my cast steel camshaft journals are worn beyond specs but the bearings in the aluminum head are within wear limits?? Doesn't make sense to me. The cast is the harder substance is it not? Anyways is there a company out there that makes NEW or regrinds without wanting cores?
    Andrew

The oil sticks to the softer aluminum more than the steel? My guess... Didn't learn anything about the steel wearing out more than aluminum today in Engine Lubrication class.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

CanadianZ wrote: I ripped apart my engine recently and just got around to measuring things. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my cast steel camshaft journals are worn beyond specs but the bearings in the aluminum head are within wear limits?? Doesn't make sense to me. The cast is the harder substance is it not? Anyways is there a company out there that makes NEW or regrinds without wanting cores?
      you say the bearings in the aluminum head are within spec, do you mean the actual cam bearing bores or the babbit on the bearing itself is not worn out?

is the bearing in good shape as far as dirt contamination?

how's your oil pressure?

Comment

There are no actual pressed in bearings andrevas

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: There are no actual pressed in bearings andrevas
          my bad, I was thinking it would have split bearings like the mains? Rohe wasn't clear on that fact when I asked him

asshole

Comment

dirt and such

there is basically no scatches or marks in the bearing. they look good.
            the oil pressure was good when i was driving it. I had some other things out specs as well despite the low mileage.(154000kms/100,000mi) the rocker shafts, rocker arms and cams were beyond specs.
            Andrew

Comment

You sure? Was everything badly discolored when you took it apart?

Comment

no

very mininmal sludge. and the rockers were kind of golden but i have seen that in other vgs before.
                Andrew

Comment

Odd, can you post the measurements?

Comment

Re: no

CanadianZ wrote: very mininmal sludge. and the rockers were kind of golden but i have seen that in other vgs before.
                    golden is normal, also black sludged burnt crispies on the rockers don't necessarily mean the bearings/journals are out of spec

my 87na engine's valvetrain was covered in caked on burnt oil.... yet everything was fine, no significant lifter tick (only two on the passenger side) or scratch marks on any surfaces, I cleaned the crap out and swapped the lifter assembly from a wreck... but I guess I missed a few grains or scratched them myself since they were fine for a bit then eventually started ticking after a bunch of diagnosis

so I busted out a spare engine (86na) with similar mileage and swapped the rockers and lifters to my 87.... and all was good

btw you really don't have to resurface the lifters unless they are grooved, and none of mine were

Comment

i will post the measurements when i get home. but they are in mm.
                      and there was no burnt stuff. not even crisped oil. there was also no lifter tick at all. i already have new lifters, and rocker arms. anyways i will post the specs and stuff later.
                      Andrew

Comment

Hmm, sounds like you should be just fine....

Comment

measeurment

This is what i got for the r/h head and cam.
                          From front to rear.
                          Camshaft journals Spec 46.935-47.025mm
                          #1 46.89mm #2 46.88mm #3 46.88mm They are all below
                          Cam bearing in head Specs 47.000-47.025mm
                          #1 47.00mm #2 47.01mm #3 46.999mm
                          Also these are correct. I work in the trade so i know how to measure.
                          This was done using Mac Tools Bore Gauges and a blue point digital caliper.
                          Andrew

Comment

You used calipers instead of a Micrometer? Well, atleast you measured in metic

Comment

yeah seriously, what is this measuring with caliper shit?

micrometer FTW

how is the out of round and taper on the journals? or is it pretty even across the board with that measurement?

Comment

Working...
                              X