Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of Cooling Lubrication are you running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VG36ET wrote: C that's what I'm talking about Jason. Any specific reason/s why your running the stock radiator cap Jason. Your car was an Original Turbo no, so I'm assuming Nissan shipped the Turbo VG's with 1.3 or so Radiator caps?
    I don't believe in higher pressure radiator caps. Mods like that are (in my opinion) a waste of money, because by the time your engine gets that hot you are running dangerously hot and should probably shut down anyway.

My car was a N/A from the factory, both my 84 and my 87 were converted to turbo. Note the side mirror color is a dead givaway even if they have turbo wheels, spoiler and black trim (note these are calendar submission pics for this year).

And the two factory turbo models in my back yard:

Comment

caps seem like they wouldnt truly make a difference besides your cooling fluids being under a higher PSI. It does raise the boiling point but like jason said, at such a point of high temps its a better move give the engine a rest, or fix your damn cooling system.

sort of on topic sort of off topic, saw a Civic Si steaming over stopped at a light today :lol: hondas

Comment

88sinZ wrote: caps seem like they wouldnt truly make a difference besides your cooling fluids being under a higher PSI. It does raise the boiling point but like jason said, at such a point of high temps its a better move give the engine a rest, or fix your damn cooling system.

sort of on topic sort of off topic, saw a Civic Si steaming over stopped at a light today :lol: hondas
        I would tend to agree with ya logically speaking. I think Radiator caps and especially Thermostats are going to almost always be a topic of debate with the cooling systems our Nissan cars have. I prefer the system VW and other Germans(If I had a choice) use.

I try to maintain my cars to a level where I'll never have to be broken down & steaming on the side of the road but S*it happens.
        Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

going back to lower temp T-stats.

*taken from Motorbooks Workshop; How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems By: Jeff Hartman

"it is very important to use the right PROM with lower-temperature thermostats (since the ECU could otherwise assume the engine is still warming up) and keep warm up enrichment activated, which waste fuel, cuts power, and wears out the cylinders fast from wetting down the cylinder walls."

i stand corrected IN STOCK FORM, and right in tuned performace 8)

Comment

Good post 88!

I'm just gonna run the Nismo 169 degree therm. on my stock VG33ET with a stock 0.9 Radiator cap on the greedy radiator. Maybe I'll even try some of that Redline brand *water wetter* shite that I'm always hearing about.
            Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

88sinZ wrote:

going back to lower temp T-stats.

*taken from Motorbooks Workshop; How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems By: Jeff Hartman

"it is very important to use the right PROM with lower-temperature thermostats (since the ECU could otherwise assume the engine is still warming up) and keep warm up enrichment activated, which waste fuel, cuts power, and wears out the cylinders fast from wetting down the cylinder walls."

i stand corrected IN STOCK FORM, and right in tuned performace 8)
              this is true for 160 degree tstats, however, you want your engine to operate in the 175-180 degree range for the best balance of performance, fuel economy and engine wear, plus you don't have to tune for a 180 degree tstat

Comment

VG36ET wrote: Good post 88!

I'm just gonna run the Nismo 169 degree therm. on my stock VG33ET with a stock 0.9 Radiator cap on the greedy radiator. Maybe I'll even try some of that Redline brand *water wetter* shite that I'm always hearing about.
                I would pass on the water wetter. I never saw a difference. Run less coolant, more water, as it transfers heat better. Unless you live someplace that has real winters. I heard it actually stays below freezing in some areas. :shock:
                Chuck Stong
                300+ Parts and Performance owner
                http://www.300-plus.com
                2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                X