Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of Cooling Lubrication are you running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of Cooling Lubrication are you running?

Whaddup ya'll,

I wasn't intendeding to start a mundane thread just for the sake of conversation. I'm most genuinely interested in the type of TOTAL cooling & Lube ya'll are running or planning on running in your N/A and especially your boosted VG ENGINES.

This is what I'll be running in the VG33ET that should be in my Siliva within three weeks tops(then off to the dyno she goes).

Toga HV Oil Pump(this is an absolute must IME, an old secret of the pros). These are just as good as the VERY expensive jap. Jun brand and they make them for most every Nissan engine. I've taken apart five engines in my 27 years with main bearing and/or rod bearing, every time it was oil starvation.

Custom HV Oil cooler(another must when running serious boost) or even N/A to substantially increase overall engine life.

Oil filter relocation kit(custom). The stock oil capacity on the VG engines is nothing short of pathetic for such a stout and hard working engine. This should be good for another quart with two large & easy to change filters. (NOTE...if you don't have room in your engine bay I guess you'll have to stick to the stock filter. My Siliva has the overpriced Red Top relocated to the rear.

Mobil 1 Full Synthetic - I wouldn't run anything else. Their's MUCH more expensive fulll synthetics out their but IME this stuff is the best on the planet relative to the price. The detergency is so high that one would be wasting his/her money by using ANY additives(I love BG products).

Greedy (big ass) Radiator with Nismo 1.3 radiator cap. This was the biggest radiator I could find for my Silvia that would fit without taking up to much space for turbo pipes.

This is all I can think of for now.
    Ucked Fup!!!

someone suggested the toga pump is about the same as the nissan turbo pump... but nothing to verify that

Comment

both the stock na (1-core) and turbo (2-core) rads were not enough to cool my vg33et... I had to go with a much larger AFCO and a flex-a-lite blackmagic fan.
      vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
      2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Synthetic is a good idea for any engine short of a ford pinto's. Many reasons, the one I like is that it takes heat produced a lot better. No caked turbo cartidges

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

with running cool in mind i would suggest you check out the line of Nismo thermostats, some of which open 20deg.F lower

a company, Hayden produces a universal radiator water mister, never seen one up close but seemed like an intresting idea going for $85 USD at advance autoparts

Comment

88sinZ wrote: with running cool in mind i would suggest you check out the line of Nismo thermostats, some of which open 20deg.F lower

a company, Hayden produces a universal radiator water mister, never seen one up close but seemed like an intresting idea going for $85 USD at advance autoparts
            nismo tstats are a tad expensive for a tstat. I'd much rather cut the center out of a stock one and use the outer as a restrictor so it'll warm up some, yet still flow all the time.
            vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
            2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

In general engines make optimum HP at around 200+ degrees. While this is a bit too close for comfort, going the other way towards 160-170 degrees can actually compromise performance. Of course all this is dependant on your need get the most from your car that you can, and your comfort level as to safety.

Comment

88sinZ wrote: with running cool in mind i would suggest you check out the line of Nismo thermostats, some of which open 20deg.F lower

Hey bro, Thanks for the reco. I've got two of those Nismo thermos actually. 1 for this engine and the other for my 94 Pathfinder. Nismo(international) & Nissan Motorssports(US nissan tuners) make some great stuff but like everything *perfromance* all of the parts are overpriced as sin. I have Nismo Coil-overs going in the Siliva chassis as this will be driven on tracks in Texas and eventually on the Auotbahn or Autostrada(Italia).

Anyway, I'll post pics soon. The oil cooler is sick and was worth what I paid. As for the Toga HighVolume pumps, I've seen em used on 1000+hp drag cars with no problems.

Mrwassman - Touche bro. I run TOTAL synthetics in my actual performance rides. As for the rest of my fleet(crappy mini van etc) I just run good ole Valvoline with BG additives that I get for free from a friend.

Peace
                Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

G-E wrote: someone suggested the toga pump is about the same as the nissan turbo pump... but nothing to verify that
                  I bought a toga HV (na) pump, and it was identical in everyway
                  to an oem na pump.
                  I dont trust Toga.

I have a friend who modifies z32s, and he experienced the same
                  thing.

It's funny how they say if you open them up it will void the warranty
                  because you can missaline the gears. Anyone who has opened
                  up a vg30 pump knows that just isn't possible.

The stock turbo pumps are very capable.
                  imagination is a virtue

Comment

[quote]craZed wrote:
                    Originally posted by G-E
                    someone suggested the toga pump is about the same as the nissan turbo pump... but nothing to verify that
                    I bought a toga HV (na) pump, and it was identical in everyway
                    to an oem na pump.
                    I dont trust Toga.

I have a friend who modifies z32s, and he experienced the same
                    thing.

It's funny how they say if you open them up it will void the warranty
                    because you can missaline the gears. Anyone who has opened
                    up a vg30 pump knows that just isn't possible.

The stock turbo pumps are very capable.
                    Thanks for the 411 bro. I know for a fact that the Jun pumps are bad ass(all you have to do is look @ my Jun rods and crank for five seconds to c the superiority..lol). If Toga is a wack product, then allot of people are getting ripped off.

If the Toga products are a total scam then ALLOT of people are being scammed and the Attorney General needs to take care of them.

Peace
                    Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

They are cheaper than a new one from nissan and they are the
                      same thing. So, whatever.
                      Perhaps the nissan pumps are so good that Toga can lable them
                      high volume and get away with it.
                      I've never heard of any oil starvation issues with the stock pumps.
                      imagination is a virtue

Comment

craZed wrote: They are cheaper than a new one from nissan and they are the
                        same thing. So, whatever.
                        Perhaps the nissan pumps are so good that Toga can lable them
                        high volume and get away with it.
                        I've never heard of any oil starvation issues with the stock pumps.
                        Hey bro,

No disrespect or offense of course but I've seen more then my fair share of engines for a young guy and even overbuilt Nissan engines don't have large enough pumps to truly protect an engine running 800ish HP for longer period of boost. I wanna be able to drive my car like a stolen Ferrari Enzo on the Autobahn or Autostrada when we go next year.

A friend in Cali had a funked engine with his 1000+hp VG30dett drag car. His mechanic said his high performance rod bearings went due to oil starvation. I know the Z32's have nice pumps so who knows.

I wouldn't be suprised if your theory was correct and that's still serious dishonesty.

I bought my Jun crank from a Japanese speed shop and importer here that has a tremendous reputation amongst tuners who want top shelf goodies. He showed me a Jun pump and he swore the Toga was identical in quality so who knows. I can still return the pump if it's not truly higher volume pump then stock.

Maybe my jun crank is a fake, I hope not as it looks identical to the crank on their website(except for the snout has been machined for my VG etc).
                        Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

has anyone bought the turbo 5 speed Toga pump and compared it to stock? I know AMZ has like 3 different pumps that cost more depending on the application

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: The lower than 190-210 degrees you run the FASTER you wear your engine out....

160 Is to dam low, more cylinder wall wear, bad gas mileage, more wear on everything.

This is OLD news, there is a reason that cars have the thermostat they do..
                            thermostat temp is relative to engines and what it's being used for

besides, thermostats don't do jack shit for improving cooling, just allowing flow sooner to the radiator

Comment

Andrevas wrote: has anyone bought the turbo 5 speed Toga pump and compared it to stock?
                              That would be interesting. Or at the least some measurements.
                              imagination is a virtue

Comment

Working...
                              X