Cams regrid question for the experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cams regrid question for the experts

Has any body here tried JWT STAGE II .473"/266 regrind by Schneider Cams. I'm on the market for some cams and I need some feedback.I will like the Stage II by JWT but they are to much at $560 plus shipping. I was thinking getting the same grind by Schneider but wanted some feedback from people that have done it. I'm looking for some good mid range top end power on a all out Built Engine with T04E intercool and JWT 450 4 bar ECU (FOR KNOW).If there is a better grind that someone has tried and likes and felt the difference let me know how the car is running etc........Any feedback will be great!!!!!!!

Pictures soon of my progress
    1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

The JWT S2's are a pretty good grind, but you could go bigger. They will make great power to 7K anyway. Schneider will do custom grinds as of when I got my cams (a couple years ago) reground by them.

There are no major concerns with regrinds. The lobe surface is hardened after grinding so they should be about as durable as new cams if you send in good cores, which you need to do anyway. Make sure you run an upgraded valve spring (JWT, Schneider, Paeco) or you may encounter valve float issues at high RPM.

Comment

cams

I swore I replied to this post... Did you x-post this to all the boards?

Anyway, having someone else clone the lift / duration of the JWT cams isn't going to give you the same thing. Chances are you'll get the most area under the curve with his cams. I spent a ton of time chatting with Clark @ JWT before going with his stuff. If you've ever talked with him, you'll know he's a story teller, and the story about the dev work they did on their cam program was a long one. They brought in a consultant, bought a bunch of crazy software, measured and weighed every component, yada yada.

For the average street turbo car, the S2's sounded like the ticket. That's my $.02.
      Attached Files
      It's RWD in reverse.

Comment

A cam lobe has a fairly simple geometry that can always be copied or improved upon. Provided you have the same degreeing, duration (and overlap) and lift along the ramp profile on the lobes, I see no reason one cam should behave any differently than another.

So how did he explain it?
        Attached Files

Comment

cams

They measured the mass (inertia) of all the parts to taylor the ramps both coming off the base circle, over the nose, and back onto the base circle for max acceleration without floating the valves. Or bouncing it when it comes down the back side.

It's my understanding that a cam grinding machine has a couple different generic profiles which are then scaled (mechanically) for different lifts and durations. The new CNC stuff can grind anything, but those are expensive, and again you get a generic profile unless you program in all the rates.
          It's RWD in reverse.

Comment

Re: cams

j30_vg33et wrote: I swore I replied to this post... Did you x-post this to all the boards?

Anyway, having someone else clone the lift / duration of the JWT cams isn't going to give you the same thing. Chances are you'll get the most area under the curve with his cams. I spent a ton of time chatting with Clark @ JWT before going with his stuff. If you've ever talked with him, you'll know he's a story teller, and the story about the dev work they did on their cam program was a long one. They brought in a consultant, bought a bunch of crazy software, measured and weighed every component, yada yada.

For the average street turbo car, the S2's sounded like the ticket. That's my $.02.
            Yes....I did post the same thing in other forums. I wasn't getting the feedback i wanted.
            THANKS,
            for the reply.

Comment

Jason,
              Did you run your Schneider cams with a T3/T4 before. I was thinking running the same grind with my set up. How does your car idle.

I send you paypal for the Poly Transmission Mount Isolators.
              Thanks for the info.

Mario
              Attached Files

Comment

That's the setup I am running right now.

Idle is alright, a little lopey (sounds nice around 700) but I adjusted it to 1000rpm anyway so you hardly notice.

I see your payment, I will get your trans isolator shipped ASAP.

Comment

Cams for NA

Jason,
                  I lost the message you sent me about cams when you wiped out my account.
                  We were leaning toward the Euro cams with the 264/262 duration and .393" lift. They are available from Courtsey at about $160 each.
                  Can Schneider duplicate this cam? Or would the 262/262 .420" non turbo give about the same results. I am using the car for Autocross and some track events. Any suggestions and reasons for them from the board would be appreciated.
                  ...and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Comment

Re: Cams for NA

Russ84na wrote: Jason,
                    I lost the message you sent me about cams when you wiped out my account.
                    We were leaning toward the Euro cams with the 264/262 duration and .393" lift. They are available from Courtsey at about $160 each.
                    Can Schneider duplicate this cam? Or would the 262/262 .420" non turbo give about the same results. I am using the car for Autocross and some track events. Any suggestions and reasons for them from the board would be appreciated.
                    The schneider grind should give you the same, if not better results. The additional lift will aid flow slightly with stock heads, but only marginally unless you have a modified intake plenum. The degreeing is almost the same, two degrees on the intake won't make a big difference. I would guess you would not be able to detect an actual powerband difference between those two grinds on a dyno unless the NisMo cams have a different lobe seperation angle and hence overlap. I would select the Schneiders based on price, but do bear in mind they can take a few weeks to do them.

Are you planning to run a high performance valve spring? What kind of head work were you having done? I would normally recommend a "bigger" grind to someone looking for lots of power from 5-7K, but keeping your low end is VERY important with an autocross car. Good head work will make a vast improvment with even stock cams, but a good grind compliments the mix even better.

The beauty of your milti-adjustable cam gears is you can actually degree the cams in the engine (make your own degree wheel, find the lobe centers and index per the cam card, etc). I've been far too busy and lazy to do mine... I don't need an extra 10hp right now anyway ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X