body lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body lean

So I thought my car was stiff. Handled well. It does. Just not well enough. I went to the track this past weekend. The link below will take you to some pictures of my car on track. They say it all. Body lean. No wonder I can't get my car around the track faster. I run Yokohama AO32R tires, 255/40/17 fronts & 275/40/17 rears. It ain't the tires. TT front brakes & 88 vented rears. It ain't the brakes. 20lbs of boost. It ain't a lack of power. Loose car is what it is. Great for the street, but just ok for the track. I want better handling so I will be doing a coilover setup soon. Researching now as to what I want to use & what I think will work best. I'm not worried if it feels a little too stiff for the street. I want the track handling. Performance over comfort is what I'm looking for. My Z isn't my daily driver. I'll post pics of the coilover setup I go with when finished. Lots of good info here on the site already about some coilover setups. My Tokico springs/Illumina setup will obviously be sold at some point. Check the classifieds here in a couple of months to find them for sale.

http://www.trackday.net/Preview/2006-10 ... index.html
    378whp 445wtq
    http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

mark86t wrote: So I thought my car was stiff. Handled well. It does. Just not well enough. I went to the track this past weekend. The link below will take you to some pictures of my car on track. They say it all. Body lean. No wonder I can't get my car around the track faster. I run Yokohama AO32R tires, 255/40/17 fronts & 275/40/17 rears. It ain't the tires. TT front brakes & 88 vented rears. It ain't the brakes. 20lbs of boost. It ain't a lack of power. Loose car is what it is. Great for the street, but just ok for the track. I want better handling so I will be doing a coilover setup soon. Researching now as to what I want to use & what I think will work best. I'm not worried if it feels a little too stiff for the street. I want the track handling. Performance over comfort is what I'm looking for. My Z isn't my daily driver. I'll post pics of the coilover setup I go with when finished. Lots of good info here on the site already about some coilover setups. My Tokico springs/Illumina setup will obviously be sold at some point. Check the classifieds here in a couple of months to find them for sale.

http://www.trackday.net/Preview/2006-10 ... index.html
    Well you had Tokico springs. Those are rather soft to begin with. I'm sure Dan's springs would make a HUGE difference. What sway bars are you running?

Ultimately, coilovers are ideal. But I'll be satisfied when I can afford the TSS Race Springs.

Nevermind, I see you're running MSA sway bars.
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Wow, that is some lean you got goin on there.

can you send me your old suspension for some cash?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Wow, that is some lean you got goin on there.

can you send me your old suspension for some cash?
        When I get my other suspension installed, my Tokico set up will be for sale.
        378whp 445wtq

Comment

i think you should stiff the body up. it looks to me in the pictures like your body is twisting.

what have you done to chassis?

i would think since you are racing on a circuit that the body is becoming fatigued. i would stitch weld all the body seams. and then add more reinforcment to the frame. have you tried adding foam in the frame rails?
          do you have a roll-cage?

the stiffer you make the suspension the less friendly the car is going to be. i've noticed a lot of production cars on the track loose all there suspension travel and end up going around corners on 3 wheels. how about replacing the rear suspension with a 240sx rear end.

this is just my opinion. if it was my car i was racing like that i would stiffen the chassis and then go from there.

Comment

not trying to hijack but how do slicktops compare to T-Tops for body stiffness ?
            85 Turbo Slick Top
            __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

I would suggest Ground Control coilover set up with camber/caster plates. Use Koni sports with the top adjustment both front and rear.
              My rear set up is pictured in Jason's coilover pages. The way I have it I can change out the rear springs in less time than it takes to change the tire. With the cost of coilover springs being as cheap as they are, you can have several sets for different tracks.
              I called and Jay, he recommened 500 lb for the front and 700 for the rear. It is way to stiff for the street, but like you my 84 slicktop is only used for autox and track days.
              ...and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Comment

84z31 wrote: i think you should stiff the body up. it looks to me in the pictures like your body is twisting.

what have you done to chassis?

i would think since you are racing on a circuit that the body is becoming fatigued. i would stitch weld all the body seams. and then add more reinforcment to the frame. have you tried adding foam in the frame rails?
                do you have a roll-cage?

the stiffer you make the suspension the less friendly the car is going to be. i've noticed a lot of production cars on the track loose all there suspension travel and end up going around corners on 3 wheels. how about replacing the rear suspension with a 240sx rear end.

this is just my opinion. if it was my car i was racing like that i would stiffen the chassis and then go from there.I have a roll bar. I have front & rear strut tower braces. I will be looking at the frame. Foam or some sort of reinforcement is definitely needed. Stitch welding the unibody would be great to do but I'm gonna try the other things first. I'd hate to strip the body at this point. Not interested in the 240sx rear suspension transplant.

Russ84na wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:31 pm Post subject:
                I would suggest Ground Control coilover set up with camber/caster plates. Use Koni sports with the top adjustment both front and rear.
                My rear set up is pictured in Jason's coilover pages. The way I have it I can change out the rear springs in less time than it takes to change the tire. With the cost of coilover springs being as cheap as they are, you can have several sets for different tracks.
                I called and Jay, he recommened 500 lb for the front and 700 for the rear. It is way to stiff for the street, but like you my 84 slicktop is only used for autox and track days.
                Your set up is what I am leaning toward. I'll definitely be contacting you & Jason with questions & such soon so I can get my new set up in & get testing it. I will have more track days in the spring so I have some time to get this process sorted out. Thanks for the info. This forum is the best.
                378whp 445wtq

Comment

james wrote: not trying to hijack but how do slicktops compare to T-Tops for body stiffness ?
                  a hell of a lot better.

Comment

What tires was that crx running? I was never impressed with the grip of those yokohama tires. I would recommend hoosiers for much more grip. I was unable to see the pics, so I don't know how much it is leaning, but your springs are too soft, and coil overs are the way to go. Also, your illuminas could be worn out.

I track an 84t with eibach, bilstein, msa swasy and it is very well balanced, even though it still leans a bit it still goes around the corners fast.
                    Chuck Stong
                    300+ Parts and Performance owner
                    http://www.300-plus.com
                    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Firehawk wrote: What tires was that crx running? I was never impressed with the grip of those yokohama tires. I would recommend hoosiers for much more grip. I was unable to see the pics, so I don't know how much it is leaning, but your springs are too soft, and coil overs are the way to go. Also, your illuminas could be worn out.

I track an 84t with eibach, bilstein, msa swasy and it is very well balanced, even though it still leans a bit it still goes around the corners fast.
                      CRX runs Toyo RA-1 tires. But it is fully gutted, has 217whp, weighs 1900lbs with the driver in it & was built specifically for the track (built B18 with GSR LSD). Doesn't make me feel any better that I haven't beaten him yet. I've beaten all our other friends. Lotus Elise, WRX, 350z, Lexus IS300, G35 Coupe, S2000. The Yokohamas do very well. I bought them after driving my friend's built Z32TT which had them. Hoosiers wear out too quickly and are expensive. The Yokos handle many track days & I can drive to the track on them as well.
                      378whp 445wtq

Comment

Get hoosiers for the track (not autox) and buy them used to save money. Tires will make a bigger difference than anything other single thing you could do to the car. If you have a track car, set it up to run on slicks. Once you run slicks, you will never want to wimpy, no-grip DOT race tires any more. And you can buy them use, too. John Berget Tire is great.
                        Chuck Stong
                        300+ Parts and Performance owner
                        http://www.300-plus.com
                        2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

After driving a car on the A032R's and then the same car again on USED hoosier A3S04's, I can honestly say there is no comparison.

I could not agree more.

For a street tire, there are a lot of cheaper options if you want to stay grip-limited (which is cheaper in the long run).

What swaybars/spring rates are you both running?

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: After driving a car on the A032R's and then the same car again on USED hoosier A3S04's, I can honestly say there is no comparison.

I could not agree more.

For a street tire, there are a lot of cheaper options if you want to stay grip-limited (which is cheaper in the long run).

What swaybars/spring rates are you both running?
                            I just sold my Hoosier A3S04s as they had less grip than my AO32Rs. Then again they were 225/50/16s mounted to my stock wheels. Not enough tire. I have the MSA sway bars & Tokicos.

I would like to run the A032Rs or A048s on my 18" wheels & get Hoosier slicks for my 17s. That way when the Hoosiers wear out I could always go on my Yokos. The Yokos would also give me more grip on the road as well. I've only put 30,000 miles on my Z the 8 years I've owned it. Tires tend to last me a while.
                            378whp 445wtq

Comment

Working...
                            X