No announcement yet.

are the 87+ front sway bars different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are the 87+ front sway bars different?

Or can I mount my current sway-bar(in an 86 currently) into an 88ss directly?

I looks different than what I'm used to.

Is it the same hole n the control arm, and I can just run the bolts through it?

vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
    2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Yes, you can swap out the sway bars with no problem. Same hole positions.
    Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
    1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
    2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

what swaybars do you have?

Comment

G-E wrote: what swaybars do you have?
        the ultra-rare ST's.

Comment

scratches head...

Your pic looks a bit odd to me. I'm no expert on all variations but here is what I am seeing:

As far as I know all Z31s have a horizontal mounting point for the sway bar. Yours shows vertical mounts. I don't see any differences listed in 3 parts mags or a couple online stores I just double checked for reference. ????

I don't recall ever seeing spacers between the tension rods and control arm. Thinking about my 84 and 85 I would think that would cause some significant suspension geometry issues.

It could just be the picture but that brake caliper looks a bit off to me as well. As in not the same as the calipers I have dealt with on the Z31 or those I recall seeing pictures of.

Perhaps there is a suspension variation on the Z31 I am not aware of and that would explain my confusion here. Don't know. Hopefully someone will have better feedback on this. :?
          Just stand back and throw money.
          Performance costs money.
          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote:
            As far as I know all Z31s have a horizontal mounting point for the sway bar.
            I've had two 85's. Both had the horizontal mount set-up.
            I've had an 87, and an 88 now as well. They both had the style pictured above. With the vertical top mount, and the horizontal bottom mount.

From what I've seen in the junkyards, this appears to be another one of the changes Nissan made for the 87 - 89's.

And I do know first hand that they interchange. I've done it.
            Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
            1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
            2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

hmm...learn something every day I suppose. 8)
              Performance costs money.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: scratches head...

Your pic looks a bit odd to me. I'm no expert on all variations but here is what I am seeing:

As far as I know all Z31s have a horizontal mounting point for the sway bar. Yours shows vertical mounts. I don't see any differences listed in 3 parts mags or a couple online stores I just double checked for reference. ????

I don't recall ever seeing spacers between the tension rods and control arm. Thinking about my 84 and 85 I would think that would cause some significant suspension geometry issues.

It could just be the picture but that brake caliper looks a bit off to me as well. As in not the same as the calipers I have dealt with on the Z31 or those I recall seeing pictures of.

Perhaps there is a suspension variation on the Z31 I am not aware of and that would explain my confusion here. Don't know. Hopefully someone will have better feedback on this. :?
                That's actually Jason's ;D

Comment

grahfz wrote: That's actually Jason's ;D
                  Well that would explain a lot then. :shock:
                  Performance costs money.

Comment

Working...
                  X