Front end reinforcing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end reinforcing

OK well heres the deal, I've been working on my Z lately trying to restore it back into a respectable weekend terror. Its not gonna be an all out track car and its not gonna be a daily driver, just something to drive on nice days and stuff. Last winter after hitting an ice patch I had a small run in with the curb going approximately 10mph causing some minor frame damage. I drove the car for a few months afterwards and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary just to be safe though I searched for months but never found another body that was affordable enough or not rotted out to use so Im gonna try and make a go with this one. Im not looking for a perfectly balanced race car just something that will stay together and have fun with. Im thinking if it could be beneficial to cut out the "brace" at the front of the frame rails and weld in something a little more beefy to try and hold things together. I know it might be hard with a motor in but if someone could take some measurements for me off of their car at a few locations between the rails so I could figure out how far out of wack it is. Here are some pics to illustrate the damage and show you what I mean. Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The RED shows where damage has occured, basically the curb contacted the passenger side tow hook area pushing it in.

I've got a perfectly straight 86NA GLL, black, black (as they get) that's about to have no motor/trans/xmember/radiator...

price... get it out of my garage SOON.
    vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
    2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

grahfz wrote: I've got a perfectly straight 86NA GLL, black, black (as they get) that's about to have no motor/trans/xmember/radiator...

Can you provide pictures? I might be interested.
      Funny stories!

Comment

[quote]homestar wrote:
        Originally posted by grahfz
        I've got a perfectly straight 86NA GLL, black, black (as they get) that's about to have no motor/trans/xmember/radiator...

Can you provide pictures? I might be interested.
        Yep, it's an 86NA body, leather seats that need to be replaced, I'm going to strip my stuff out of it, speakers, center gauges, stereo's already gone, engine, trans, x-member,radiator/fan (standup afco)... don't expect much more than just a body. I'll probably leave the resistors in teh injector harness and just buy new ones, and the recall wirings been undone.

As far as I can tell, it's never been wrecked, clean title too. It's been a georgia car all it's life, so the standard no-rust, non-destroyed dash applies.

If you're serious about either coming to get it, or getting somebody to ship it up, I can take pictures of whatever you want.

car came as an NA 5spd.

Comment

grahfz's car may be a good options for you man. Looks like your Z has some real cancer issues looming.

If not then I have 2 cars with engines pulled that I can give you measurements off of. Both are straight, no front end issues and no cancer. Just give me the measuring points you want to use and I will be happy to help. 8)
          Just stand back and throw money.
          Performance costs money.
          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

oh, the paints not horrid, but it isn't nice either.

Comment

btw, if somebody doesn't get it from me, it's getting crushed.

so, SOMEBODY TAKE THE THING!

Comment

front blue section 790.0 (31.10In)

middle red L's ditto

i would check some others, source the FSM on section BF-48 and BF-45

Comment

grahfz when do you have to have the car out by? I wonder how much shipping runs these days to move a car.. haha At the moment though im not certain if I could afford to even do it. But Im interested ill check around on shipping.

Ive got basically my whole car stripped down to a bare shell so I already know what rust I have which is mostly all minor surface rust. The only serious stuff is behind the rear tires which I wouldnt consider to be anything structural. This car was from South Carolina until last year, its pretty amazing what a New England winter can do to your car.

Comment

I want the car out not too long after I've got the engine/trans out.. Which will be in the next week or so.

Comment

you people... the man asked for measurements and everyone is trying to sell him stuff instead =(
                      Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                      I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                      Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

lol, not trying to sell, trying to find a good home for the body, you want a rust-free straight body getting crushed?

Comment

your mom crushed this straight body. heh.
                          Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                          I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                          Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

That's not what yours said last night.

Comment

grahfz wrote: btw, if somebody doesn't get it from me, it's getting crushed.

so, SOMEBODY TAKE THE THING!
                              Damnit!
                              If gas wasn't so freaking expensive, I'd hook the truck to the trailer and come and get it from you!
                              I just can't justify the expenditure right now, being broke off my arse and having to find a way to afford x-mas.

Dan
                              I am here to help...

Comment

Working...
                              X