Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Prix GT wheels (cat out of bag on cheap+cool)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Prix GT wheels (cat out of bag on cheap+cool)

What's not to love?

16x8"
    25mm offset
    lightweight (18lb?) mesh style with lip
    Mfd. by Enkei
    Clear Z32 calipers (without spacers)
    semi-direct fit, looks perfect on 84-85T
    5X115 is the only 'issue', but it's a non-issue
    cheap

Best part is they fit both my Z and my Grand Prix GTP, so I will be able to use the drag radials on both cars.

These come factory on some of the 94-96 grand prix GT's. They have what is considered a RWD offset because of the funky plastic flares GM stuck on the car.

EDIT: I'll add how much they weigh when I get time to throw them on a scale.

So you are guessing on the weight? You should actually weigh them bastards. Just go throw them on your bathroom scale, thats good enough for me! lol

You can get a set of 4 of those at a used wheel place for like what 100-150 bucks right?

also what did you do bout the 115mm just open up the holes slightly?
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Isn't the 25 in that 16x8x25 the offset?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

97 Grand prix GT wheels should swap too.
        86T and 350z wheels won't go onto the GP because of the bearing caps, maybe a little grinding would fix it, it wasn't too far off.

the 86T wheels stuck out VERY far in the back, kinda looked like an 80's IROC..

vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
        2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Oh this is frelling sweeet.
          semi-direct fit, looks perfect on 84-85T
          5X115 is the only 'issue', but it's a non-issue
          So the lugs just flex the .7 difference.?

Are they hubcentric?

/wonders if firebird/trans-am/formula 16X8 mesh wheels with the deeper lip would fit.
          // give me something to google during lunch

i've been wondering about these GM mesh wheels for a long time..

never had the resources to experiment though.

Thanks Jason.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I know that most 5-lug GM spares won't fit on the Z.
            vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
            2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

why dont you just get some super jdm tyte SSR REVERSE MESH!!

Comment

firebird trans am wheels deffinately dont fit due to the different bolt pattern but some adpaters in tandem with them would prolly work. peace.
                "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

Comment

Jason it sounds like you have tried these on a 84-85 Z ? if you did when taking it for a drive they cleared everything and didn't seem to rub or cause any ill effects ?

$150 USD sounds like an awesome deal to me for 16x8 cool looking wheels. In the new year i might have to get somebody to source me a set and get em sent over.

Getting wheel holes slotted should be easy for any reasonanle engineering shop, we had my mates wheels done they were 110x4(early Rx7 stud pattern) and had them done out to 114.4x4 quite easily, when installed you couldn't even tell they were modified
                  85 Turbo Slick Top
                  __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

Not a real big fan of mesh type wheels myself... They look like good examples though.
                    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Z_Karma wrote: So the lugs just flex the .7 difference.?

Are they hubcentric?

/wonders if firebird/trans-am/formula 16X8 mesh wheels with the deeper lip would fit.
                      No, I reamed them slightly using a rat tail file. .7mm is such a small difference you can install the wheels and lugnuts without even noticing.

They are hubcentric BUT the bore is larger (which is why I can't put my Z wheels on my GTP) so you need hub adapter rings which are about $20 from a tire/wheel shop. I'll measure them and post up the ones I have to buy when I install them. You can probably go without the ring, but you may get a little more radial runout and hence vibration at speed.

It hink the firebird wheels won't fit because they are that fubar bolt pattern of 5X120.

james wrote:
                      Jason it sounds like you have tried these on a 84-85 Z ? if you did when taking it for a drive they cleared everything and didn't seem to rub or cause any ill effects ?
                      I installed the wheels on both the front and back of the car. They not only clear everything stock, but they clear Z32 calipers and 87-89t rotors I have on the front. The only issue I could see is having to run an undersized tire on the front because of strut housing clearance. I'll measure it, but I will be putting some old 225's I have on the front. My Zenettis are 17x8 20 offset (so 5mm further from the housing) with rather wide "245"-40-17 and they dont rub at all. I would think you'd be fine, but at the worst end up having to run a 3mm spacer.

Comment

grahfz wrote: 97 Grand prix GT wheels should swap too.
                        97-04 GP wheels are higher offset, something like 38mm... so no, they won't fit properly. And they are only 16X7, not 16X8 like the older ones. No advantage over stock wheels there... Why the heck they put a 7" wide wheel with a 225-60-16 on a 3400lb car is beyond me.

Comment

any pix with them installed?

Comment

I'm a sucker for mesh wheels...they need a good coat of glossy black paint though.
                            My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                            My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                            207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Here they are test-fit on my 87. The fit is great, an inch wider than stock, and far better looking to boot. Once I have tires for them I'll throw them on the 84.

I still need to measure the centerbore and weight, but I think they are under 20lbs... making them both wider and lighter than stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X