Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completely Brand new front brakes, destroyed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely Brand new front brakes, destroyed?

I just about 2 new front calipers, 2 new sets of duralast gold brake pads, 2 rotors, and re-bled all the brakes.

I replaced my entire front braking system on my 86NA.

Anyway... Ever since install Ive been brakign VERY softly and driving with a consistent braking "foot step" for about 2 weeks now, and ive noticed that whenever I would ever go to the carwahs and wash my wheels that the front right ALWAYS smoked while the other side front and the rears did not.

I never thought anything of it until today I was walking past my car and saw lines in the passenger rotor... I thought what the hell... Walked over and put my hand to feel any lining on the rotor.
    HOLY WOW! I like grooved the brand new rotor like no other!!!!
    other side is PERFECT.
    what happened?!

I dont want to damage it anymore...
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

take the caliper back as defective.

It's kinda odd that it's not pulling though. check to see if the other side's wearing. Have somebody else pump the brakes while you're watching the pads on the rotors.

you'll prolly need to buy a new rotor/pads, or talk them into giving you a new loaded caliper.

BTW, don't hit your rotors with cold water if you can help it when they're hot.. possibly cause them to warp...

I warp brakes in "normal" driving anyways :evil:
    vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
    2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

it sound like you didnt bleed the brakes correctly , did you ever feel the car pulling towards one side when braking?

Comment

Bring the parts store the caliper, pads, and rotor back. Tell them a defective caliper was the cause and that you want it all replaced under warranty as they are only 2 weeks old.

Replace the rubber brake line on that side. What can happen is the rubber in the inside of the brake line begins to fray. When you apply pressure to the brakes fluid travels into the caliper like normal. However when you remove your foot from the brakes and the fluid attempts to return to the master cylinder, the brake line acts like a one way check valve and keeps the caliper applied. (You can also test for this by having someone apply the brakes, and when they release the pedal you open the bleeder screw. If fluid comes out you have a problem.)
        ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

If you have a groove in the rotor, then you have something stuck between the pad and rotor. Pull it all apart and see what is wrong.

Shit in there causing a groove is not covered under warranty. I don't see how a seized caliper would cause a groove. It would cause the pad to wear all the way down real fast though if that is what you mean.
          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

yeah, wear fast and make grooves

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

oh yea I forgot to tell you guys...

when I had my tires on 35PSI all around from 30PSI (first time trying it) it pulled BADLY tothe right (the side where the brake is killing itself).

but at 30psi its gone (the pull is gone after lowering tire pressure)

Comment

Buy new brake lines, all around.

If you want to spend the money, get stainless.
                It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

1SIKZ31 wrote: I just about 2 new front calipers, 2 new sets of duralast gold brake pads, 2 rotors, and re-bled all the brakes.

I replaced my entire front braking system on my 86NA.

Anyway... Ever since install Ive been brakign VERY softly and driving with a consistent braking "foot step" for about 2 weeks now, and ive noticed that whenever I would ever go to the carwahs and wash my wheels that the front right ALWAYS smoked while the other side front and the rears did not.

I never thought anything of it until today I was walking past my car and saw lines in the passenger rotor... I thought what the hell... Walked over and put my hand to feel any lining on the rotor.
                  HOLY WOW! I like grooved the brand new rotor like no other!!!!
                  other side is PERFECT.
                  what happened?!

I dont want to damage it anymore...
                  Pics would be great. What do you mean by "foot step?" Long slow stops are not the correct way to bed in new pads. Also, did you grease the slider pins and check to see if they moved freely?
                  Chuck Stong
                  300+ Parts and Performance owner
                  http://www.300-plus.com
                  2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Steve88t wrote: If you have a groove in the rotor, then you have something stuck between the pad and rotor. Pull it all apart and see what is wrong.

Shit in there causing a groove is not covered under warranty. I don't see how a seized caliper would cause a groove. It would cause the pad to wear all the way down real fast though if that is what you mean.
                    Absolutely...

Ive never heard of a grove being created in a rotor unless their was debris between the pad and rotor, or if the pads were completely worn out and that doesn't apply here.

If it is pulling to that side then you very well may have a stuck caliper, but I cant imagine that it would cause a groove in the rotor.

Pull it apart. Go for the warranty as suggested previously.
                    Just stand back and throw money.
                    Performance costs money.
                    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Firehawk wrote: Long slow stops are not the correct way to bed in new pads.
                      That depends on the mfg of the parts. I've had reps tell me to do just that with increasing speed. Then let it cool and cycle again up till you're doing 100-0 stops back to back. Either Baer or Stoptech told me that, I don't remember.
                      http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Jeez, just drive it and don't break to hard for the first 5 miles

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

[quote]Steve88t wrote:
                          Originally posted by Firehawk
                          Long slow stops are not the correct way to bed in new pads.
                          That depends on the mfg of the parts. I've had reps tell me to do just that with increasing speed. Then let it cool and cycle again up till you're doing 100-0 stops back to back. Either Baer or Stoptech told me that, I don't remember.
                          in effect it's heat treating the pad contact area, and scrubbing off the top coating/anti-corrosion layer on good ones, cheap discs only need to be cleaned

Comment

Well... the groove GOT HUGE (unrepairable new rotor now) and i decided to pull it to check it.

I took off the 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the assembly and took them off and out of the way. I then went to pull the caliper off and it was STUCK, I pulled VERY hard and it didnt even MOVE from its spot from where I took out the bolts. I had to hit the caliper with a hammer to get it to come off. I then looked and the brake squael thing was not rubbing on the rotor, and nor was anything else.

The caliper was seized (BRAND NEW!!) so there was nothing I could do about it but put it back on the car... it went on freely and all but havent checked it again.

oh yea... ONLY the outside of the rotor has been damaged, not the other side.
                            and it has 3 BIG deep grooves.

Store will not refund me or exchange me for a new one.

im SOL.

Comment

well, one way or another, you need a new caliper/pads/rotor.

Try NAPA? I've never had a problem with them.

Just order a rotor and a loaded caliper, should be good to go. Saves you from having to buy a whole set of pads, unless you just MUST have matching pads on both sides.
                              vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                              2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Working...
                              X