Russ' home made poly diff mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russ' home made poly diff mount

He sent me the pictures to post so here they are. I'm going to make one using the same part and a similar method! Very cool.

Very cool.

Comment

hmm not a lot of lateral support.... I've seen a cutaway of it, it's designed for twisting forces, kinda the idea gary was after but couldn't make work

I've updated my design and hope to have it in metal by mid next week, I changed it so that the "bushings" will be under compression but still easy to put in, and will be lower profile than previously

also I whipped up some stock trans mount "stiffener" plates you hammer in to the C shaped piece to help prevent twist, but you still retain the up and down softness of the rubber, I'll be tossing these out for $15 I think

I need some frickling batteries

Comment

what application is the poly mount for? some sort of mustang?

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
        good thing....

Comment

autoworkZ wrote: what application is the poly mount for? some sort of mustang?
          Yeah, it's a mustang trans mount.

I just ordered one after reading through the dimensions on a few of them, it's not the same as russ' but the tabs are spaced exactly the same as the studs on the body, so it should be even easier to install if I can get everything to line up correctly.

Comment

Update

Last weekend I managed to put my Z into a curb at an AutoX event.
            The rear control arm is toast. The Panasport is history. The Crossmember bracket that holds the toe adjustment of the control arm is only slightly bent.
            84 parts car is on the trailer in the drive soaking the crossmember parts.
            The hit compressed the halfshaft and knocked the Differential over about a half inch. The reason for the post is that the differential mount came through it all without a scratch.
            Have an event in two weeks it should be ready.
            Just got back from Beaver Run where we put on an autoX in conjunction with a race day NASA was putting on. Weather was great, people were great, I think most everyone got in at least 12 runs plus 5 fun runs, and acouple of laps around the race track. Not bad for $25.00. I had to do my runs in a Kart, Super seven and a turbo charged Miata.
            ...and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Comment

That's a total bummer man...sad to see someone lose a panasport
              Attached Files

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
              1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
              1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
              2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
              2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

That's a shame! Why did they build a course so that was even possible to do?

It's good to know they will hold up under the toughest of abuse though.

Comment

The hit compressed the halfshaft and knocked the Differential over about a half inch.
                  I wanna know how you knocked the diff anywhere.... it's quite solidly bolted to the subframe.. are you saying the subframe or diff housing bent or the bolts sheared?

take pics I wanna see the carnage

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: That's a shame! Why did they build a course so that was even possible to do?

It was a charity event. The group we were putting on the event for had the site so we did a course for them and ran the event. I will never do another event without at least 20 ft. margin.

I wanna know how you knocked the diff anywhere.... it's quite solidly bolted to the subframe.. are you saying the subframe or diff housing bent or the bolts sheared?

take pics I wanna see the.
                    Check out the pictures that Jason posted. See the bolts that hold on the Poly mount. They were slotted so the it could slide. When the wheel hit the curb it compressed the half shaft which pushed the differential to the side about a half inch

Comment

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but what is a "panasport"?
                      1988 Shiro Special #186 - T3/T04E turbo, Act clutch, gutted intake manifold

Comment

tigerboner wrote: I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but what is a "panasport"?
                        A wheel.

Comment

Update

Got the car back together and the alinment was perfect. -3.5 camber and .06 toe in the rear, -2.0 camber and -.06 toe in front. Finished first in class in Saturday. Only problem was the Differential mount let go for the last three runs. Diff dropped and the halfshaft almost wore a hole in the exhaust.
                          Turns out that it was my fault not the mounts. The mount wasn't tight enough and slipped out of the bolt. I took the assembly apart and the poly mount is still intact. I had to straighten the flanges and I am rethinking how to mount it to the frame. I think I will weld it to a plate and then bolt that to the frame.
                          The Poly mount was a GM transmission mount #3.1108 from Energy suspensions. The Ford mount #4.1128 is alittle larger and might also work.

Comment

post pics dammit, I want to see blood and destruction!

in other news, my camber adjusting diff mount proto units #2 and #3 are in progress, of course I won't be able to accurately tell anyone what camber +/- you can get since it will depend on the springs and their condition.... but with toe-bolts on both control arm points, lowering springs and the adjustable diff mount, you should be able to get almost any geometry

Comment

Working...
                            X