Wheel bearing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearing replacement

I'm ready for an X-Mas project. I've read that the bearing needs to be pressed and such for removal.....basically I don't have an idea how to do this. If anyone can enlighten me on the basics I'd appreciate it.

Any other tips on the install would help. I'm also throwing on Bilstein shocks & struts. Any suprises I should look out for shout them out.
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

You talking about the rear bearings? They make a tool that you slide through one end and it expands once it gets past the bearing you are trying to get out. The you smack it with a hammer over and over. To install you find a socket that is as large as the outer part of the bearing, but not too large and tap it in making sure its going evenly. Dont forget the spacer that goes inbetween the two bearings.

This is how I did it and it worked great. You may need an old screwdriver or somthing to pop the old one out. Be carful not to scratch the surface that the bearing sits in.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

you mean getting the bearing races out?? a press would be ideal , but if not doing like SATAN said will work fine . also don't forget to get the rear seals for the hubs as well , it is advisable to change them out since you will most likely destroy the one on there right now trying to get the rear bearing out.

Comment

For rear bearings I would suggest pulling the control arm out, pack it down to a local shop of your choice and have them do it. The bearings themselves can be a bit of a pain but getting the nut off the companion flange.

If you walk the parts in the labor to have someone do it will be low. I think I paid $60, but I also brought them the bearings to install.

If you are doing the fronts...easy as pie.

btw- if you do the rears I would strongly suggest taking a bit of extra time and replace the inner and outer boots if they havent ever been done since you already have it apart. Even if they look good you will be amazed at how crappy that old grease inside really is. :shock:
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

want to know a really easy way to get those bearings off.

get a small grinder with a small cutting wheel and cut through the bearing.

just don't cut the bearing surface.

i've done that out at work a few times. you don't have to cut all the way through. once you get through enough, smack it with a hammer and it'll crack and release the bearing.

it would probably make more sense with a picture.

Comment

z

Comment

Or do the opposite to the other side.

What do you use to freeze it? (air in a can turned upside down :lol: )

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

z

Comment

zmech wrote: A DEEP FREEZER. Duh!!!
                  Yeah, its gotta be at least 1.75 feet deep. otherwise dont even try it!
                  85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

z

Comment

your freezer should be next to the dishwasher you use for parts cleaning! :lol:
                      85 Turbo Slick Top
                      __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

james wrote: your freezer should be next to the dishwasher you use for parts cleaning! :lol:
                        HEY...I have used my dishwasher several times. It works pretty well if you soak everything with Simple Green first. :wink:

Sometimes it works good to remove the racks and install some metal bars across the bottom. I actually cut down a mesh grate to fit for cleaning up the larger parts. You would be amazed at what you can fit in there. :twisted: My kids thought it was a real kick, the g-friend wasnt amused.

btw- I'm not kidding. I have a thing about cleaning stuff when I remove something that will get reinstalled. ops: If you guys only knew...the cleaning and painting takes as much time as the removal and install. Ya...It could be a sickness... :?
                        Attached Files
                        Just stand back and throw money.
                        Performance costs money.
                        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Wish i had those untapped skillz

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

here it is, plain and simple from someone who has actually done it..

get the axle out of the way first.. leave the brakes on so you can set the parking brake when you want to loosen the big nut.. with the parking brake set ive never had a problem getting the nut off.. now take off the calipers and rotors.. pull the inner companion flange off.. using a BRASS drift, smack out the axle stub.. the inner bearing will stay in the hub, but the outer bearing usually comes off with the axle stub.. you will need a bearing splitter to pop it off.. if both bearings stay in the hub then knock them out with a brass drift.. the distance piece is often overlooked when doing the job.. there are three grades, and the grades have to match the grade stamped on the control arm. refer to the factory service manual and make sure that your distance piece is in spec. if it has collapsed and is to small it will either have to be replaced or shimmed. if you reinstall an out of spec distance piece then the bearings will be overloaded when you torque them and the wheel will either not turn, or the bearing will die right away.... ther is no need for a shop press.. there is no need to run around town and waste your time finding a guy to press things for you.. the outer bearing can be driven down the axle stub with a piece of pipe.. the inner bearing can be tapped in with a brass drift... good luck with the job, it really isnt that bad..

Comment

killer info so far guys, thanks :!:

OR-Zman wrote: If you are doing the fronts...easy as pie.
                              so...no pressing or anything to the sorts on the fronts?
                              2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Working...
                              X