Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
    Originally posted by zmech
    Note that it also shows the rotor with the OE twin piston caliper and the Z32 4 piston caliper. The caliper used here was aluminum. I believe that makes it a 26mm caliper.
    Early TT's had 30MM pistons in aluminum calipers... those are what I have on my 84.
    How did you score on those?

And theoretically, couldn't you go to a parts store and order those same calipers new, or refurbished or something?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

these posts are giving some hope for an inexpensive way to get big rotors...nice.

So the problems I see now are caliper fitment on a 12.75-13.00" rotor. Anyone know the accepting width of oem 87-89 turbo calipers? From what I see, if they are 30mm I'm in business. If not...

Other than that, a braket needs to be fabbed up and viola:!: big sexy brakes.
      2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Brakes

Try this page:

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/nis ... ts.html#ap

Brembo/AP Racing/Stillen brake kits
        84' 300ZX 2+2 NA (Hardtop)

Comment

Signal 12 wrote:
          So the problems I see now are caliper fitment on a 12.75-13.00" rotor. Anyone know the accepting width of oem 87-89 turbo calipers? From what I see, if they are 30mm I'm in business. If
          im pretty sure it's less than 30mm.

Comment

SPL parts has a kit to fit Z32 calipers with 350Z track rotors on an S13/14 which can be used on a Z31 (seen one member posted pics of his install. can't remember who)

Z32 rotors-10.8"
            Z33 Track rotors-12.8"
            linky-http://www.splparts.com/

here are the pics and basic info posted by another member. Installed on 87T. Caliper needs 7.5mm spacing to center it on the rotor.

In my mind this is the best option. Price is reasonable, uses Nissan parts, and few people would ever need more stopping power, especially in the Z31 crowd.

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

Man, ur on fire today

Comment

280Z Turbo wrote: That's how I feel. A lot of S30 guys do the 4 piston Toyota caliper swap and then throw off the brake bias by increasing the swept area too much.

As long as you can lock them up and don't have an issue with fade, why bother messing around with that stuff?
                which model/year toyota ?

Comment

Thank you Benedict for posting that, I wasn't paying attention to this thread. Those are my brakes and I will say they work very well. The power is really good. They are "fade free". The bias is really good with the stock rear brakes, even in the rain in a panic stop. The brakes attract a lot of attention from those who are into Nissans. I'm telling you Sig., this is the easy way to put rediculously big brakes on a z31. I'm surprised you saw my wheel pictures but not my brake pics. Oh, and after doing this upgrade, with all the steel/teflon brake lines, the pedal height and feel was better than with the all stock brakes. You can do this whole deal for well under 500 bucks if you try.

Thats enough

Paul

Comment

Paul: What pads are you running? How 'heavily' have you tested the fade resistance?

Comment

Darthpaul wrote: Thank you Benedict for posting that, I wasn't paying attention to this thread. Those are my brakes and I will say they work very well. The power is really good. They are "fade free". The bias is really good with the stock rear brakes, even in the rain in a panic stop. The brakes attract a lot of attention from those who are into Nissans. I'm telling you Sig., this is the easy way to put rediculously big brakes on a z31. I'm surprised you saw my wheel pictures but not my brake pics. Oh, and after doing this upgrade, with all the steel/teflon brake lines, the pedal height and feel was better than with the all stock brakes. You can do this whole deal for well under 500 bucks if you try.

Thats enough

Paul
                      Running that 12.8" rotor what size wheel did you have to run outside of that? What is the minimum you could run I guess is what i'm asking?
                      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Lucifer, I run 18's, cause I like 'em, and some z32 guys have had issues with 17's over them. The higher end of 17's will be designed with large brakes in mind and will clear.
                        Jason, I'm running nissan pads. I haven't tracked the car yet, so I can't declare the brakes "fade proof", but I do silly high speed freeway stuff and curvy mountain road driving and cannot detect brake fade, where I have badly overheated stock Z31 brakes. The sheer mass and good vent design of Z33 "track model" rotors makes them difficult to overheat on a Z31.

That's all I got for now.

Paul

Comment

[quote]G-E wrote:
                          Originally posted by 280Z Turbo:76c42
                          That's how I feel. A lot of S30 guys do the 4 piston Toyota caliper swap and then throw off the brake bias by increasing the swept area too much.

As long as you can lock them up and don't have an issue with fade, why bother messing around with that stuff?
                          which model/year toyota ?[/quote:76c42]

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104735

1979 to 1984. They are for solid rotors. They are a direct bolt on and all that needs to be done is trim back the dust shield.

4 piston '86-95 Toyota 4x4 or 86-91 4runner calipers can be used with 300ZX rotors on our cars with some fabrication, not sure about Z31s.

Turns out I need to replace the calipers on my car because they seized up, but I still don't want to do the Toyota swap. I think it would throw off the balance too much by increasing swept area in the front only.
                          1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
                          '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
                          "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

The S13W caliper is designed for a thicker rotor (25mm) than the S12W (which uses a 22mm thick rotor).
                            well that sucks.... so you get the monoblock caliper with the same width rotor as 87T brakes, so in theory you wouldn't really benefit much from the swap

Comment

[quote]280Z Turbo wrote: [quote=G-E:08620]
                              Originally posted by 280Z Turbo:08620
                              That's how I feel. A lot of S30 guys do the 4 piston Toyota caliper swap and then throw off the brake bias by increasing the swept area too much.

which model/year toyota ?[/quote:08620]

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104735

1979 to 1984. They are for solid rotors. They are a direct bolt on and all that needs to be done is trim back the dust shield.

4 piston '86-95 Toyota 4x4 or 86-91 4runner calipers can be used with 300ZX rotors on our cars with some fabrication, not sure about Z31s.

Turns out I need to replace the calipers on my car because they seized up, but I still don't want to do the Toyota swap. I think it would throw off the balance too much by increasing swept area in the front only.[/quote:08620]

i have used both types of toyota calipers on my 240.. dont worry about the bias, with stock drums in the back (280 has drums still, right?) the front lock up just before the rears. the bias is fine. i was worried about that as well and almost bought a proportioning valve before i did the install.. the toyota calipers will be totally fine if you leave everything else stock... before next track season i will be installing a rear disk conversion kit that i have at my shop.. im expecting biasing problems at that point..

Comment

I thought they had discs

Comment

Working...
                                X